Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spicer

Arsenal post match 4-3

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I posted this last night. I'd never play Amartey anyway.

For me, if I'd have done it Shakey's way....King and Slimani.

What would King have done that Amartey didn't? It's a bit sad that you're continuing to blame him for everything despite the fact he didn't do much wrong last night.

3 hours ago, Foxxed said:

And assisted our third goal?

And Albrighton assisted a goal too. Difference is he played defence and closed players down. 

Albrighton is better for us than Mahrez. I really hope that we can sell Mahrez for £50m. It'll make our team better by subtraction as crazy as that sounds. He is a liability.

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Get real!!

When Arsenal fans around you are telling you, you ****ed it and should have beaten them speaks for itself....we should have...you can't take the lead twice and then lose.....especially against a weakened Arsenal side. We ****ed it, simple as.

Mahrez should have been hooked not long after Vardy scored the third. It was obvious we needed another midfielder on the pitch at that point. Mahrez was totally ineffective second half and not much better in the first half, got totally bullied. Think if Iborra was available we would have had a much better chance of getting out of that game with a result. Positives are, Vards looks lethal and Maguire is class. How the ref didn't call the wrestling take down on him by Giroud baffles me!!

I've waited a day to see how i truly feel about all this,

Gutted is honestly the only answer - because we were so close to getting a really tough 3 points away - and especially because it was Arsenal.

Knew we'd score a few, knew the players would be up for it - but it's such a shame the last portion of the game fell away from us - Ramsay and Giroud coming on was always going to spell trouble, was hoping we'd avoid that.

It's a missed chance to win as we should have made it our mission to get that forth goal quickly, if we'd done that i think we'd have killed the stadium and not allowed them to even sniff a comeback, that's where we lost the game - before any tactical changes defensivly even occured.

We're such a strange team in that we can score - but also can't seem to defend (especially set pieces) - really feels like we need to gamble a little bit now and get rid of a couple of players - and bring in a couple more.

Most important thing is not to get a complex about this one game - while we've learnt a few tough lessons here they are a very tough opposition and it's done now, we'll get another chance to do them at home (hopefully after the pricks have dropped a series of points to Swansea and WBA like usual) we need to approach Brighton in the same way next week - win the game and just steady our feet a bit. Brighton do worry me a bit though as we don't have the best record against them lol and we're a scalp for them.

We had a go though, scored three - can't really complain over that aspect when some of us thought we would just sit and not have a go.

I think we have to get used very quickly to Shakey making bad substitution decisions.

I can see it being a theme of the season and will probably result in us being in a relegation scrap.

Switching to a midfield 5 then back to a 4 in such quick succession was bizarre especially given the position we were in.

That was our best chance to beat Arsenal and we screwed it up.  It's easy to say it was all down to set pieces but we invited the pressure.

Well, we thought it was a really good match, but it was a shame our defence fell asleep at the end of each half :(  If Vardy can keep this form going, again, then we shouldn't do too badly this year (better than last, anyway) :D

EDIT: I definitely think the KP is a lot cosier than the Emirates ;)

3 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I think we have to get used very quickly to Shakey making bad substitution decisions.

I can see it being a theme of the season and will probably result in us being in a relegation scrap.

Switching to a midfield 5 then back to a 4 in such quick succession was bizarre especially given the position we were in.

That was our best chance to beat Arsenal and we screwed it up.  It's easy to say it was all down to set pieces but we invited the pressure.

Based on 1 game. Alright!

For me the match was further evidence that City need to keep up the high pressing game for the entire 90 minutes if possible.  They can't sit back the way that they tend to do when leading in games and let the opposition come onto them.  That might be OK against poorer sides but against the big money sides it is asking for trouble.  If we attack the opposition have their hands full and can't attack us.  Attack is very much the best form of defence.  That might mean that the players have to be extra fit or that some older players have to be substituted in the second half of games?  

Poor substitutes cost us the game, maybe not all three but certainly at least 1. Not buying what people are saying regarding James and that he wasn't fully fit. He has played a third of last season at Barnsley, had a full pre season with us too. He shouldn't have come off. Frustrating to go away to a place where we never do well and score 3 yet still come away with nothing. I don't know what it is with Arsenal but they always seems to get jammy against us. How Dean missed that Ozil handball is beyond me. We need to learn from our mistakes and quick, this is a brutal league and with our run of fixtures we could already be playing catchup by October. 

19 minutes ago, FoxonMaui said:

Mahrez should have been hooked not long after Vardy scored the third. It was obvious we needed another midfielder on the pitch at that point. Mahrez was totally ineffective second half and not much better in the first half, got totally bullied. Think if Iborra was available we would have had a much better chance of getting out of that game with a result. Positives are, Vards looks lethal and Maguire is class. How the ref didn't call the wrestling take down on him by Giroud baffles me!!

Something I called last night as Giroud blatently had a handful of Maguires shirt and used the pulling of his shirt to get the leverage for his header. Now some would argue that Maguire was 'bullied off the ball' but we have all seen penalties given for shoving, wrestling, holding, all I would like to see is consistency ffs as this action definitely advantaged Giroud unfairly.

our type of football doesn't suit us the whole idea of counter attacking football is that our defence should be able to handle the pressure the other team puts on us and our defence should be good enough to handle the constant attacking and possession from arsenal but yesterday showed that we either need to get a new defence or we need to change tactics I know Shakespeare's substitutions were bad but that wasn't the reason why we lost as I could see them making a comeback from the 65 minute.

Just reflecting on yesterday. First things, Shakey and his team got most things right. I don't think that team is in its final form. Iborra will have a key role and his coolness on the ball and ability to pick a pass will help us break down team we are forced to sit back against. 

We had the game till that sub. Though, in hindsight it proved a bad decision. Essentially, you could see what he was trying to do. Arsenal were pushing more men forward and Vardy would have more space behind. By bringing on Kelechi, he would've had an option if he did manage to break free. It didn't work out like that. One thing is for certain, the move, though wrong had some logic behind it. Far more logic than some of the crap Ranieri pulled out last year. 

We need to learn from this. I think we will and get stronger with players getting fitter, learning from mistakes etc.

We all know what Mahrez is capable of, his pass through the centre of the park to Vardy last night was world class. I believe Mahrez should be taken off the wing ,use Gray for that position, and play a more attacking midfielder role something similar to Courtinho.  

1 minute ago, BirminghamFox said:

I was so pissed off with the result I've got tickets to see Birmingham City today to get it out of my system... 90 mins of singing shit on the villa after several beers will help...

Am i a sinner?

yes

5 minutes ago, BirminghamFox said:

I was so pissed off with the result I've got tickets to see Birmingham City today to get it out of my system... 90 mins of singing shit on the villa after several beers will help...

Am i a sinner?

Go to the booth and say three Our Vardy's and two Hail Shakespeare's... should see you right ;)

11 minutes ago, BirminghamFox said:

Am i a sinner?

Hope you get slashed by the Peaky Blinders

1 hour ago, FIF said:

And Albrighton assisted a goal too. Difference is he played defence and closed players down. 

Albrighton is better for us than Mahrez. I really hope that we can sell Mahrez for £50m. It'll make our team better by subtraction as crazy as that sounds. He is a liability.

Your right, There's no doubt were carrying him in the Team at the moment. He seemed disinterested last night right from the start. If he had an inch of Okazaki's or Albrighton commitment he'd be a top top player.

He needs to knuckle down and commit to the Team or move on. 

42 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Just reflecting on yesterday. First things, Shakey and his team got most things right. I don't think that team is in its final form. Iborra will have a key role and his coolness on the ball and ability to pick a pass will help us break down team we are forced to sit back against. 

We had the game till that sub. Though, in hindsight it proved a bad decision. Essentially, you could see what he was trying to do. Arsenal were pushing more men forward and Vardy would have more space behind. By bringing on Kelechi, he would've had an option if he did manage to break free. It didn't work out like that. One thing is for certain, the move, though wrong had some logic behind it. Far more logic than some of the crap Ranieri pulled out last year. 

We need to learn from this. I think we will and get stronger with players getting fitter, learning from mistakes etc.

Spot on. He made the changes for the right reasons and there was clear logic behind them. Losing away at Arsenal isn't the end of the world. 

Some positives as mentioned but poor game management from Shakey cost us.

1. I could understand Armarty for a tired hard working Okazaki and I thought he did ok as fresh legs in a tiring team, two good tackles shortly after coming on.

2. Iheanacho for our best performing midfielder, even if tiring, was a poor poor decision. It wreaked of sentiment ie let the lad have his debut. If he must insist on putting put him on replace Marhez who was ineffective most of the game (not lazy, just not his day). Realistically, with the time left, the state of play etc, I think King would have been my option. I think Neville and Caragher made similar observations and on this occasion I think they were right.

Shakey has to make some big decisions and quickly! 

Morgan was absolutely shocking against Borusssia, cumbersome, slow, panicky and most passes going to the opposition . He was little better last night. Again, Shakey sentiment comes into play. You can drop a poor performing Captain, whatever he's done for you in the past, NOW is the time that matters. He's been out a long time and doesn't appear ready. Despite question marks over both of them, either of Armarty or Benny would be a better option. Certainly when Huth returns, Morgan surely has to be dropped.

Marhez was trying but ineffective.  He can't keep playing him for a whole match like a cherished love child if not performing,  we had enough of that crap last year ! For christ sake, if Marhez isn't working anyway and he may be gone also soon, give Lawrence or Gray a go. Shakey needs to grow a pair and make some unpopular decisions like a proper manager or I fear his tenure will be a short one! If the players don't like it and go mardy on him and dont play for him and he can't manage that scenario, that also shows he's not the man for the job. Whilst these comments may seem harsh after just one game I don't think so as we witnessed last night a continuation of the flaws shown towards the end of last season. Whilst I don't fear relegation,  if we do have another underperforming season my belief is that our better players will want to leave and decent players won't want to come. We need to move forwards and not strive to be a Stoke or West Brom. 

Crazy game.

I don't think such a scoreline would have happened midway through the season, both sides clearly rusty.

Albrighton was great, its also good that Vardy has 2 goals already, could this be the first of 11 in a row for him :P

1-0 down after a minute I thought we were going to be in line for a right hammering. What a rollercoaster match, I've got to admire the entertainment above the loss. First match of the season and it could be game of the season. 

1 hour ago, matty98 said:

What would King have done that Amartey didn't? It's a bit sad that you're continuing to blame him for everything despite the fact he didn't do much wrong last night.

I was answering the question. I think it's a bit sad (though not unexpected) that people STILL refuse to see what is right in front of their noses.

James is an intelligent player. He's not the quickest, but he reads the game well. So does King. We were holding out with James in the team because he was covering runs. When he had to go off, the intelligence in the central area went. We went from relatively composed to a state of amateurish panic.

If you can't see how this happens ever since we lost Kante actually, you ain't looking.

Players at this level don't make errors without some factor involved. The factor last night was pressure and loss of shape. We lost shape, we invited pressure and our players who had looked relatively composed, suddenly looked very different. This is no coincidence and last night was the difference between success and failure.

Archived