Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It should be compulsory for cyclists to pay road tax, be insured, wear helmets and have fitted lights, no matter what age they are or what public road they are using. 

If we start taxing cyclists, then we tax JCB's and tractors and cars for their respective weight and damage they do to the roads.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

People that put 'she/her' in their Twitter bios need to grow up.

It’s becoming more prevalent on people’s LinkedIn profiles too. I don’t get it. :dunno:

19 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

People that put 'she/her' in their Twitter bios need to grow up.

41 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It’s becoming more prevalent on people’s LinkedIn profiles too. I don’t get it. :dunno:

First noticed these the other year in my last year at uni, people started to use them to show what gender pronouns they wanted to be associated with to be more inclusive for those who may be transitioning. Just as with gender neutral toilets I think.

Edited by UniFox21

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What does she/her actually mean? Genuinely I don't understand it. Is it just "identifying" as a female? 

Pretty much, this link should explain it a bit more. These started to become more prominent the other year,  my Master's supervisor was the Head of Undergrads so was accommodating their usage and was explaining the whole thing to me at the time.

Edited by UniFox21
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Pretty much, this link should explain it a bit more. These started to become more prominent the other year,  my Master's supervisor was the Head of Undergrads so was accommodating their usage and was explaining the whole thing to me at the time.

That’s actually a well written piece and explains it in plain English. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

(and I’m trying so hard not to crack a joke or say something offensive or inappropriate about the whole thing :D)

• Haha 1

Just now, Izzy said:

That’s actually a well written piece and explains it in plain English. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

(and I’m trying so hard not to crack a joke or say something offensive or inappropriate about the whole thing :D)

Number of times I put my foot in and said something inappropriate accidentally in that year was hilarious. First time I walked into a gender neutral toilet, I was a bit pissed and was very confused why there weren't any urinals and thought I'd walked into the ladies. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Language is very useful for communication, but it helps when words aren't continually appropriated and have their meanings changed.  Unless, of course, you are deliberatley trying to confuse people.

For the last few 100 years, 'he' is singular, 'she' is singular, 'they' is plural.

So if I was to say "they are happy", you should be able to understand that I mean a group ... more than one ... plural.   
It doesn't indicate any of the sexes involved, and it doesn't even imply they're people.   It could be your 3 dogs ... "they are happy".

If you say that the word 'they' can mean also be singluar, then this is simply causing confusion and obfuscation.  
Now the word has lost all meaning, as it can mean 'one' or 'many'.   

It's a bit like saying the word 'blue' can now also include anything that's 'green'.  That's just destroys the power of language, as you now don't know if anything's actually blue or green  (which might be a good idea in Glasgow, but that's another matter...)

If you want a new pronoun to mean something other than male or female, then invent one!   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Fat people should be sectioned like mentally ill people 

I wouldn’t go that extreme but there definitely, definitely needs to be more help available for people and hopefully there will be because of the pandemic making the morbidly overweight more vulnerable. A lot of it is down to mental health. 

A family friend of mine has got so big that she now sleeps with a ****ing oxygen tank in case she stops breathing. Her husband died very young and she just gave up on life. And that was 30 years ago. She never got counselling, she never sought help - probably because she could never afford it. 

Reduce the stigma around mental health and weight and offer people the help they need. 

IMO. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Language is very useful for communication, but it helps when words aren't continually appropriated and have their meanings changed.  Unless, of course, you are deliberatley trying to confuse people.

For the last few 100 years, 'he' is singular, 'she' is singular, 'they' is plural.

So if I was to say "they are happy", you should be able to understand that I mean a group ... more than one ... plural.   
It doesn't indicate any of the sexes involved, and it doesn't even imply they're people.   It could be your 3 dogs ... "they are happy".

If you say that the word 'they' can mean also be singluar, then this is simply causing confusion and obfuscation.  
Now the word has lost all meaning, as it can mean 'one' or 'many'.   

It's a bit like saying the word 'blue' can now also include anything that's 'green'.  That's just destroys the power of language, as you now don't know if anything's actually blue or green  (which might be a good idea in Glasgow, but that's another matter...)

If you want a new pronoun to mean something other than male or female, then invent one!   

Singular they has become the pronoun of choice to replace he and she in cases where the gender of the antecedent – the word the pronoun refers to – is unknown, irrelevant, or nonbinary, or where gender needs to be concealed. It’s the word we use for sentences like Everyone loves his mother.

But that’s nothing new. The Oxford English Dictionary traces singular they back to 1375, where it appears in the medieval romance William and the Werewolf. Except for the old-style language of that poem, its use of singular they to refer to an unnamed person seems very modern. Here’s the Middle English version: ‘Hastely hiȝed eche  . . . þei neyȝþed so neiȝh . . . þere william & his worþi lef were liand i-fere.’ In modern English, that’s: ‘Each man hurried . . . till they drew near . . . where William and his darling were lying together.’

Since forms may exist in speech long before they’re written down, it’s likely that singular they was common even before the late fourteenth century. That makes an old form even older.

https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-singular-they/