Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

5 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

The media decided that Manchester was going to be the 2nd city and I’m afraid Birmingham didn’t put up much resistance.Tony Wilson had a lot to do with that.Tbf it is the capital of the north.Grt Manchester is a huge urban sprawl slightly bigger than the WestMids and has knocked out some great culture.A certain IRA bomb helping aswell.

wasn't ITV based in Manchester

6 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Yeah, even if it’s not huge I feel Manchester’s importance is conflated massively by it’s cultural output. Especially since the 80s, Manchester’s art, music and general culture output to British culture as a whole is massive, and there always feels like there’s something going on up there, same with Sheffield on a smaller scale.

Compare that to say, Birmingham where their biggest export is a few Ska bands & Human League, and a choice few areas outside the Bullring don’t feel like a complete dump. Manchester feels ten times more of a ‘second city’, but Birmingham gets the title because it’s a sprawling grey labyrinth with more bodies in it.  

I know that wasn’t really relevant to your point, but it was something I felt I had to vent lol 

I think that's doing Birmingham a big disservice tbh, the scale of development going on there, as well as planned development - is enormous.

3 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think that's doing Birmingham a big disservice tbh, the scale of development going on there, as well as planned development - is enormous.

Yeah I was being a bit harsh to be honest, they’ve got a lot of regeneration going on to link everything up but I do feel Manchester were a lot quicker to the punch in that regard. I still think it’s not quite second city standard though.

5 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

The media decided that Manchester was going to be the 2nd city and I’m afraid Birmingham didn’t put up much resistance.Tony Wilson had a lot to do with that.Tbf it is the capital of the north.Grt Manchester is a huge urban sprawl slightly bigger than the WestMids and has knocked out some great culture.A certain IRA bomb helping aswell.

Greater Manchester is the biggest urban area in the Country isn't it? Lancashire still exists but Greater Manchester includes the likes of Wigan and Bolton now.

I like Manchester but Liverpool is a better City for me. I always feel like there's more history in Liverpool plus more to see.

Edited by Fox92

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

wasn't ITV based in Manchester

Some of it still is.Don’t know if you remember? but ITV was made up of different franchises with Granada covering the northwest.That was based in Manchester.The studios and offices may have moved to that Media City place though.The Guardian newspaper was definitely based there as it used to be called the Manchester Guardian.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Livid said:

Most sporting events without a crowd aren't worth watching.

Not even sure this is an unpopular opinion. Reckon its quite widely held.

Similarly playing sports where you might have expected spectators, only for there to be none, is a bit of a damp squib (whatever a damp squib is).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Not even sure this is an unpopular opinion. Reckon its quite widely held.

Similarly playing sports where you might have expected spectators, only for there to be none, is a bit of a damp squib (whatever a damp squib is).

I actually went all weekend without watching anything, I’ve just totally lost interest.

I’m not even that bothered about the Chilwell transfer meltdown that’s going on. 

It bothers me a little because during the Levein era I stopped going down the city and I stayed away for years, but  it hardly bothered me at all. 

On 16/08/2020 at 12:05, Finnaldo said:

Yeah, even if it’s not huge I feel Manchester’s importance is conflated massively by it’s cultural output. Especially since the 80s, Manchester’s art, music and general culture output to British culture as a whole is massive, and there always feels like there’s something going on up there, same with Sheffield on a smaller scale.

Compare that to say, Birmingham where their biggest export is a few Ska bands & Human League, and a choice few areas outside the Bullring don’t feel like a complete dump. Manchester feels ten times more of a ‘second city’, but Birmingham gets the title because it’s a sprawling grey labyrinth with more bodies in it.  

I know that wasn’t really relevant to your point, but it was something I felt I had to vent lol 

Human League are from Sheffield 

I think Duran Duran were from Birmingham 

On 16/08/2020 at 12:22, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's a bit harsh, especially given that the Human League are from Sheffield.

33 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Human League are from Sheffield 

:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

:rolleyes:

👍

But I did add value by saying that Duran Duran were in fact the Brunmie 80s new romantic  supergroup of choice

Bet those Wet Wet Wet concerts were fun. Weren’t the band named with reference to the condition of their adoring fanbase? 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

19 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

👍

But I did add value by saying that Duran Duran were in fact the Brunmie 80s new romantic  supergroup of choice

Bet those Wet Wet Wet concerts were fun. Weren’t the band named with reference to the condition of their adoring fanbase? 

I must add that I was courting a rather attractive lass from Bedworth at the time who happened to be a big Wet Wet Wet fan. We went twice to see them and they were pretty good live tbf.

I might also have purchased their album 'Popped in Souled Out' and memorized most of the lyrics :ph34r:  

• Haha 2

Birmingham was always more of a heavy metal scene. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin and the like, not really my thing but it was incredibly popular in the 1970s.

The Spencer Davies Group and The Moody Blues were pretty huge at the time too.

(No ones mentioned ELO yet?)

Think Birmingham had a much more notorious music scene in the 60s and 70s but Manchester became more popular in the 80s.

26 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I must add that I was courting a rather attractive lass from Bedworth at the time who happened to be a big Wet Wet Wet fan. We went twice to see them and they were pretty good live tbf.

I might also have purchased their album 'Popped in Souled Out' and memorized most of the lyrics :ph34r:  

Bedworth ! 

Did you feel it in your fingers and/or toes ? 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Birmingham was always more of a heavy metal scene. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin and the like, not really my thing but it was incredibly popular in the 1970s.

The Spencer Davies Group and The Moody Blues were pretty huge at the time too.

(No ones mentioned ELO yet?)

Think Birmingham had a much more notorious music scene in the 60s and 70s but Manchester became more popular in the 80s.

My missus is from Brum and she used to go to parties where the likes of Roy Wood of Wizzard would turn up.

It's a bit cooler than my Dad turning up.

Sorry Pa

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It should be compulsory for cyclists to pay road tax, be insured, wear helmets and have fitted lights, no matter what age they are or what public road they are using. 

The lights are compulsory already, there's just no enforcement as the miniscule resources there are are devoted to trying to mitigate the bigger risks

• Like 2

Even electric bikes don't need a licence. If you also go down the route of imposing such restrictions on non-electric bicycles, then surely any non-motorised mode of transport should be similarly controlled. Presumably, bicycles and the other non-motorised modes of transport would also require yearly MOTs. The amount of red tape and expense involved would be a nightmare.

As regards lights, they are only compulsory on bikes during the hours of darkness and being ridden, not pushed. As regards cycling on the pavement, there are many instances where that should be compulsory! Anyone cycling from Thurnby to Houghton along the A47 dices with death if they ride on the road itself.

Edited by String fellow