Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Post-Match Thread - Leicester 2-0 Liverpool (EFL Cup)

23 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I suppose the question I have to ask, can we play Vardy, Oki and Nacho in the same team? Gray and Slim may also deserve to play as well. 442 needs to go! 

And Mahrez...

I was going to post something similar. If only Shakey could find a way to accommodate them all and get the best out of them all together.

Fvck it. Let's go balls out with a 3-1-6 formation :D

14 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Gray has to start instead of Mahrez on Saturday, but then Albrighton never looks as good on the right, which is strange. 

Okazaki performance almost certainly means him and Vardy up front. Liverpool are perfect for Okazaki, try and play the ball but often lose it. 

Gray and Mahrez should start, I know we run the risk of being over ran in a 4-4-2 but Gray offers so much more on the counter attack and right now Albrighton is in horrible form. 

9 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Thought Gray was ace. He makes things happen. Still makes some dodgy decisions but he's young and imho is starting to show he can be more of a team player. 

Agreed, he had a strong game and defensively was better than Albrighton on top of looking like a handful going forwards. 

Work needs to be done on the training ground this week on the positioning side against a fluid front three because any combination of Firminho, Coutinho, Salah and Mane is tough to contain. 

9 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Ludicrous to put Iborra in a 2 man midfield.

He's not cut out for that type of roll Shakey ffs.

832106.jpg

6 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Thought Gray was ace. He makes things happen. Still makes some dodgy decisions but he's young and imho is starting to show he can be more of a team player. 

I'll give Gray the credit for being the ONLY outlet for 60 minutes of this match. That's where I'll stop though, because despite his blistering pace and obvious ability on the ball, he has his head down and tries to do everything himself. Slimani actually made some good runs or opened up space nicely for Gray, but my word does he stuggle when he reaches the final third of the pitch.

18 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

I don't think Slimani struggles to hold the ball, quite the contrary. The ball didn't even reach him before Okazaki came on, that is why Leicester was playing so poorly.

Dude, Slimani was atrocious with the ball. I counted about a dozen times when he would receive the ball to feet, at chest height or even at head height and he would lose it every single time. Granted, he didn't get much support, but the whole point of a big man up front is so he can use his physique to hold up the ball and lay it off once his teammates have come up the pitch.

It's a recurring thing with Slimani. Despite his big frame, he's deceivingly average as a classic target man.

Still can't work out first half. Where was Amartey playing? Seriously, he was holding hands with Wes practically throughout that half. Were we supposed to be 3 at the back and Chilwell/Albrighton weren't getting the balance as WBs right or was he just constantly out of position?

Absolute fluke, how we've won that I do not know but I love beating Liverpool and this one will really grate on them no doubt.

First half was absolutely dire and the second wasn't that good it just wasn't shit. Liverpool were playing predominantly teenagers and it took an injury/forced sub to win.

Only players coming out of tonight with any credit are Shinji, Dragovic and Wes. Gray was ok and Hamer did nothing wrong but the rest were dross.

2 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Slim is quite mobile, although he doesn't have that much of technique. He can hold the ball, and link up most of the times. Today before Okazaki he wasn't doing neither mainly because the team had 25% possession or so, Liverpool was controlling the game, and Leicester was only hoofing the ball.

Yes you just hit the nail on the head we were just hoofing, 

So we needed someone to hold the ball up. You are totally contradicting yourself

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed, he had a strong game and defensively was better than Albrighton on top of looking like a handful going forwards. 

Work needs to be done on the training ground this week on the positioning side against a fluid front three because any combination of Firminho, Coutinho, Salah and Mane is tough to contain. 

Mane is suspended thankfully 

Liverpool should have been out of sight by half time. Much improved second half when forced into the change. We need to build some momentum from this as the team looked very short of composure and confidence in that first half. 

Hopefully Shakespeare learns from this in regards to timing of subs as well as the actual personnel. 

Also Ulloa shouldn't play for the club again, he has nothing left to offer at this level and offering him improved terms on his 40k pw contract is nothing short of finanical negligence. 

Just now, The Doctor said:

Still can't work out first half. Where was Amartey playing? Seriously, he was holding hands with Wes practically throughout that half. Were we supposed to be 3 at the back and Chilwell/Albrighton weren't getting the balance as WBs right or was he just constantly out of position?

It looked like we set up as 5-3-2 when defending with Amartey and Gray taking up wingback positions, Chilwell tucking in next to Dragovic and Albrighton helping out in the middle. Very odd formation.

2 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

The point being he didn't wilfully I'll make the substitution that turned the game. 

The Ulloa injury forced the change,up to that point his mind seemed to be a vacuum in terms of altering what was totally shocking.

He chose to put Okazaki on, Wes intimated the players followed his half time instructions. The substitution could have been one minute away for all we know. 

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That's fine so long as you give credit for the second half. People can't lump all the blame on him and then absolve him of doing anything decent when things go well.

Yes I can he choose the side and that first half was a massive mistake by the manager, it took an injury in the second  half for him to Change it, plus it's a change 98% of fans would have made it wasn't genius 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He chose the player to come on ffs and you have no idea if that sub was 1 minute or 20 minutes from happening. We weren't going to go on much longer without changing.

If you are going to completely discount every win under him or any sub that works out or any decent performance, which most seem to with their selective stats, then yeah he's proved nothing. :rolleyes:

Moan about the original selection, but trying to take all credit off him second half is just more BS.

Are you saying Ulloa didnt come off injured or what?

I'm not moaning about this win or taking credit from him. Feel really good we won

Not overly critical of him. We did get lucky and the change was forced, thats all i'm saying. I still have no big opinion either way on Shakespeare. Happy to see how it goes. Have gotten over Arsenal now, which was the only thing that really wound me up. But it was his first match in a high pressure situation.

Pleased for the win tonight anyway

2 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I'm sick of Gray. He's had 'potential' for ages but he delivers no product. He's never got his head up, never delivers the killer pass, he can't shoot and he's mardy

Seriously? He was decent tonight. Didn't see many times where he wasted play. He was very positive and that early cross to Slimani near the end was inches off being a ridiculous goal. Much better and considering how shit Albrighton is right now, it's a no brainier he starts on saturday for me. He needs a run of games and the confidence that we have faith in him. He could be unreal.

40 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Not a great performance. slimani didn't do anything other than score, Iborra, very poor. Okazaki is vital to how we play, we're a better team with him in the side.

Eh? Iborra was brilliant lol 

great second half... I don’t want to be negative but I don’t think he would have made that sub of his own accord in time for us to win that well...

Liverpool shocking... no tempo without Salah/Mane

5 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I'm sick of Gray. He's had 'potential' for ages but he delivers no product. He's never got his head up, never delivers the killer pass, he can't shoot and he's mardy

Oh **** the ****ing **** off you ****ing idiot! 

Archived