Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

For the moment I think we have to be be circumspect about Puel's intentions. We have no idea what his remit is - the reasons being it's not entirely clear what the Sris plans might be. One 'political' sacking and two further 'strategic' ones, intended to forestall relegation, have obscured whatever bigger picture might exist. Those unforeseeable necessities beg the question of what outcomes the owners want and what they've now decided their goals are (inadvertent pun). I'm guessing they're intent on mid-to-high table consistency.

Vichai came in with a promised figure of £70m to spend. I'm fairly sure that winning the title was as much of a surprise to them as it was to us - that it was done on a shoestring and led to a huge windfall of income has inevitably superseded what might have been the original intent - which was probably to stabilise the club's position and finances and then think about what might come next. Suddenly there was big money to spend.

In hindsight, the major part has been allotted somewhat unwisely on forwards. I've noticed the impatient on here are already criticising Iheanacho, who appears to have joined the doubters particular 'dole' queue - already containing Slimani, Musa and the long-suffering Ulloa. I suspect that everyone, including the Sris, wanted to see a big-money free-scoring striker come in but we've already got one of the most lethal and unselfish players in the Prem in Vardy. Whatever anyone else says I still rate him as much as ever.

This appears somewhat due to the Mahrez, Vardy, Okazaki mechanism having maintained a measure of its overall potency - making the big-money buys difficult to place effectively into the highly-tuned '15-'16 unit. This mechanism might have been misfiring but Puel's decision to go with Gray has actually added an extra threat and upped it's potential one or two notches. So he will have problems enough sorting out a system or a squad which can employ the big-money forwards to the extent they might wish - if that's at all possible. Slimani has advertised his discontent already (without demonstrating why he cost £30m). If he wishes to go then the fee should be set aside for the intake of a top-class central defender. As sentimentally reluctant as I am to state it, a  replacement has to be found for Wes Morgan - as some have been insisting since the '16-'17 plummet, after the little French genius absconded.

I'm getting the impression from  the scuttlebutt on here that Puel realises and values the importance of a high-functioning back line. I think that Fuchs is still an essential part of City's line-up. He's been criticised for defensive lapses recently but he's playing alongside a new guy who's been bedding himself in. Huth has gone off the radar recently but we should all remember that, although he's beginning to creak, his knowledge and awareness aren't come by overnight. For me, Simpson is just good enough. I think Puel will be mostly kept awake at night by thoughts of how he can improve the defence and how he can serve and protect Vardy. Midfield is the least of his worries - N'Didi seems to be growing in confidence now Iborra is alongside him. All the furore about Silva's ineligibility suddenly seems wasted breath - with only six weeks or so until he becomes 'valid' it's a question of patience now until City are in the happy position of seeing what he might add to an already buoyant 'core' of the squad.

What a beautiful round up. Agree about vardy, Fuchs and wes. Top post gerbold. ?

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

For the moment I think we have to be be circumspect about Puel's intentions. We have no idea what his remit is - the reasons being it's not entirely clear what the Sris plans might be. One 'political' sacking and two further 'strategic' ones, intended to forestall relegation, have obscured whatever bigger picture might exist. Those unforeseeable necessities beg the question of what outcomes the owners want and what they've now decided their goals are (inadvertent pun). I'm guessing they're intent on mid-to-high table consistency.

Vichai came in with a promised figure of £70m to spend. I'm fairly sure that winning the title was as much of a surprise to them as it was to us - that it was done on a shoestring and led to a huge windfall of income has inevitably superseded what might have been the original intent - which was probably to stabilise the club's position and finances and then think about what might come next. Suddenly there was big money to spend.

In hindsight, the major part has been allotted somewhat unwisely on forwards. I've noticed the impatient on here are already criticising Iheanacho, who appears to have joined the doubters particular 'dole' queue - already containing Slimani, Musa and the long-suffering Ulloa. I suspect that everyone, including the Sris, wanted to see a big-money free-scoring striker come in but we've already got one of the most lethal and unselfish players in the Prem in Vardy. Whatever anyone else says I still rate him as much as ever.

This appears somewhat due to the Mahrez, Vardy, Okazaki mechanism having maintained a measure of its overall potency - making the big-money buys difficult to place effectively into the highly-tuned '15-'16 unit. This mechanism might have been misfiring but Puel's decision to go with Gray has actually added an extra threat and upped it's potential one or two notches. So he will have problems enough sorting out a system or a squad which can employ the big-money forwards to the extent they might wish - if that's at all possible. Slimani has advertised his discontent already (without demonstrating why he cost £30m). If he wishes to go then the fee should be set aside for the intake of a top-class central defender. As sentimentally reluctant as I am to state it, a  replacement has to be found for Wes Morgan - as some have been insisting since the '16-'17 plummet, after the little French genius absconded.

I'm getting the impression from  the scuttlebutt on here that Puel realises and values the importance of a high-functioning back line. I think that Fuchs is still an essential part of City's line-up. He's been criticised for defensive lapses recently but he's playing alongside a new guy who's been bedding himself in. Huth has gone off the radar recently but we should all remember that, although he's beginning to creak, his knowledge and awareness aren't come by overnight. For me, Simpson is just good enough. I think Puel will be mostly kept awake at night by thoughts of how he can improve the defence and how he can serve and protect Vardy. Midfield is the least of his worries - N'Didi seems to be growing in confidence now Iborra is alongside him. All the furore about Silva's ineligibility suddenly seems wasted breath - with only six weeks or so until he becomes 'valid' it's a question of patience now until City are in the happy position of seeing what he might add to an already buoyant 'core' of the squad.

Great little read with morning coffee, better than the shit written in the media!

6 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Spot on, thank you.

Today he brought sleep.

The game was boring anyway, I was almost falling asleep during the second half.

I know when he was first appointed we joked or were told about him being boring, his interviews being boring and very monotone but in the car home (thankfully I was a passenger) his interview actually sent me to sleep.

His first game was very entertaining and exciting, Stoke, meh, could have won, could have lost, I was annoyed but didn’t quite know what to make of that game but today, fuck me, if there was an emoji was made for it, it’d be :yawn: ten-fold.

The most exciting part of the afternoon was seeing Esteban at half time.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Today he brought sleep.

I know when he was first appointed we joked or were told about him being boring, his interviews being boring and very monotone but in the car home (thankfully I was a passenger) his interview actually sent me to sleep.

His first game was very entertaining and exciting, Stoke, meh, could have won, could have lost, I was annoyed but didn’t quite know what to make of that game but today, fuck me, if there was an emoji was made for it, it’d be :yawn: ten-fold.

We were good at Stoke and should have won.

I enjoyed going to Everton and Stoke games. Today wasn't great but Manchester City are - not many sides will take points from them.

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Today he brought sleep.

It’s a fair point. You could say we showed Man City too much respect and were too passive. But had we got in at 0-0, or Maguire equalised or Kompany got sent off it would have very different. 

Our opponents today have thrashed plenty of other teams in the league. We had some moments and the plan partially worked. Before there goal we looked pretty solid. 

I think January will be a better time to judge. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

If CS had made those subs he'd have taken a battering on here. Some strange stuff, but I thought the original setup was actually working quite well until just before half time.

Often fans want change for the sake of change. You’re right, we were playing well but ending up with four strikers is really poor management - I’m quite optimistic about Puel in general but in yesterday’s game his performance was poor amongst a reasonable team performance.

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If CS had made those subs he'd have taken a battering on here. Some strange stuff, but I thought the original setup was actually working quite well until just before half time.

CS would never have put today's first XI to begin with.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Today he brought sleep.

Sleep?? Were you really expecting gung ho tactics when your playing probably the best team in Europe that have been hammering teams by 3/4/5 goals each game?? It would of been complete suicide to try and go head to head with them today. When your up against such a good team the only sensible approach to take is to contain them and hopefully nick something. 

From his games in charge we already look by far a better tactical side than we were previous 

31 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

lol.

laugh, because u know iam right, however should he put the broom thru the roster next window and bring in 2-3 quality players and we end up in the top12 say he could very well see out another season.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

All those calling us to go gung-ho against Man City are off their heads. The one time I remember us throwing significant numbers forward we went 2 down.

You mean when we hit the post? Had that gone in we would have been level and our throwing men forward would have been entirely justified.

3 minutes ago, deep blue said:

You mean when we hit the post? Had that gone in we would have been level and our throwing men forward would have been entirely justified.

But we didn't and we conceded. I'm not saying don't attack at all but you've got to be measured with it against a side like that. I've not seen a side rip us to shreds on the counter like that in years. We were under more threat from our corners than they were.

I just think against a side like that we're damned either way really.

2 hours ago, bpfox said:

laugh, because u know iam right, however should he put the broom thru the roster next window and bring in 2-3 quality players and we end up in the top12 say he could very well see out another season.

If you want to win a debate, using the 'you know I'm right' assumption is unlikely to help in the process.

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

All those calling us to go gung-ho against Man City are off their heads. The one time I remember us throwing significant numbers forward we went 2 down.

Spot on. We threw almost everyone forward and they broke with speed and had put another past us before we knew it.

We would've got crucified if we tried to play like that for 90 minutes. 

Edited by lee7