Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

On 30/10/2017 at 15:28, shen said:

It's probably the inner Dane in me talking here, but I think bringing Højbjerg here from Southampton could be a shrewd piece of business.

Puel took him there in the first place and although he has struggled there, I think he'd be a great young player to develop with a view to becoming a key member.

Our central midfield options are limited despite Silva joining in January and can we really count on King or James at this level?

He's previously shown he can play seriously well at Bayern and for the national team, but he's lost his way a bit.

With his height, vision and technical ability, he'd be a very good fit for us I think.

Not getting a look in so we might even get him on the cheap.

Højbjerg - hmmm he is nowhere near the Soton 1. eleven and we should aim higher than that.....

3 hours ago, TheStig said:

Højbjerg - hmmm he is nowhere near the Soton 1. eleven and we should aim higher than that.....

That's why he'd come relatively cheap I imagine. And it's not like he's been abject when he's played.

He's got bags of talent, I don't doubt that one second.

As for aiming higher.... A player who was praised and played by Guardiola at Bayern (and had a good season at Augsburg), was bought by our current manager at Southampton and is widely regarded in Denmark as the biggest midfield talent since Eriksen, I don't think that's a low aim.

• Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:37, DrezZone said:

I'm sure the Southampton fans will riot when they realize how good Leicester play under Puel and how we're going to finish above them under Puel.

Also, where are those Leicester fans who were doubting Puel:pearson:

I'm right here.

Yup. Have to say he's won me over in just two games. The players seem a lot more confident, and our play already looks a lot more disciplined.

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeellllllleeeeeeee

33 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

I'm right here.

Yup. Have to say he's won me over in just two games. The players seem a lot more confident, and our play already looks a lot more disciplined.

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeellllllleeeeeeee

Me too. Wasn't thrilled with the appointment to say the least but I think he's gonna have us playing some sexy football

19 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Me too. Wasn't thrilled with the appointment to say the least but I think he's gonna have us playing some sexy football

Count me in too. 

Very impressive so far. Felt it would go bad but we look somebit threatening which was a lot more than shakey. 

There's the first 8-10 games and the  transfer policy which will be the first things that will give us an idea of how his reign will shape up. 

Be good to move on from the pearson era  but at the same time you would love a bit of the stability we had from 2011-15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I quite simply want him to be the man that lays down a marker that helps us move on from that era. It's incredible that we've literally been champions of England yet a lot of us still haven't gotten past that era. I want Puel to be the one who grows us to a higher level.

On 06/11/2017 at 12:37, DrezZone said:

I'm sure the Southampton fans will riot when they realize how good Leicester play under Puel and how we're going to finish above them under Puel.

Also, where are those Leicester fans who were doubting Puel? :pearson:

I was a doubter, still am if I’m honest

that said promising start and there’s a better feeling so far in fairness to the bloke

up the Foxes

up the Puel

He's only had a couple of games so despite there seeming to be a positive impact I'll be waiting at least 10-15 games or maybe the rest of the season & a couple of transfer windows to decide whether he is the man to really take the club forwards, or whether he's just another also ran.

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He's very intelligent though - was impressed by his interview about us last season. 

Hehe intelligence doesn´t necessary make good footballers.... you don´t often see Stephen Hawking kicking about :) 

Ohh and forgot - a certain Kasper Schmeichel would be his captain in the Danish national team so you don´t get far by slating off the club of the captain I guess........

Edited by TheStig

Hard to tell after 2 games - but I think he's done okay so far! We look far more comfortable on the ball now and we're actaully looking to pass it forwards rather than just hoof it. 

I think he'll bring in a couple of full backs and maybe another winger potentially. Think he'll give a few of the young lads a go as well, probably get Harvey Barnes back from Barnsley. 

Also a doubter here (and I made the thread!), but highly impressed thus far.

We'll have to judge him after he has about 10 games. Jamie Vardy in an interview today said that Puel would change more things in the next few games, although he wouldn't change that much. My prediction is more full back play (definitely notable versus Stoke) and more interchange up front with players swapping positions. Maybe we will even see things like JV / RM / DG all swapping, incuding changing who is up top. It might be a bit too bold for our team, but Vardy for example is actually quite good on the wing if it's in small amounts during the game.

To be honest the most refreshing thing is just the change in the style of play. Of course results are important, but I for one don't mind a transition season where we change our style to be more attacking and dynamic. It's weird because in the title winning season I felt that we didn't just hoof the ball, we did play it some too, although we were quite direct. But then after winning we became more and more catennacio (which is why Ranieri lost his job) and despite a good start from Shakespeare he didn't really address it. In just the last two games the potential is really there to see. If Puel gets it right, we could be a team that is fluid and comfortable in possesion, deadly on the break and secure at the back. And that I would like to see! Barring another miracle I can't see us ever getting the better of Man City or Man United over 38 games, but honestly I feel that even Liverpool and Arsenal are not all that. I loved the Champions League and would love to see us sneak our way in again one day.

Would love to see that Puel-ed off by the club! (...I'll get my coat).

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

I went to see James Richardson (Italian Football, Guardian, Football Weekly etc) and Co. for a live recording of his new podcast, The Totally Football Show last night in Birmingham.

Julien Laurens who is a French Football expert spoke highly of Puel and thought he was a very good appointment for us and thinks Everton would be ruing missing out. Said he was a very clever tactician and a good coach.

The reduction in ‘Hoof-ball’ is for me the most refreshing aspect of his appointment.  Hoof-ball is such a mindless tactic and I have never understtod how giving the ball back so cheaply can ever pay off? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

The reduction in ‘Hoof-ball’ is for me the most refreshing aspect of his appointment.  Hoof-ball is such a mindless tactic and I have never understtod how giving the ball back so cheaply can ever pay off? 

aren't we supposed to hoof the ball in to space so that it becomes a race?  It strikes me that we have been playing hoofball all wrong

42 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I heard here we can only play counter attacking football.. We must give the ball away so the opponent can attack, so we can counter-attack.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2