Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

We need to talk about Wilfred Ndidi

I feel it says it all when he was outstanding today but not many people talk about it. It's because you just expect him to be good every time he plays. For a 21 year old he is so consistent it's unreal.

Mendy did great to play so well given he had not started for so long, but Ndidi was even better.

Wilfred Ndidi really will steal the ball from you!

2 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

If only was as good on the ball as lemina. Can see why we were interested in him. 

Lemina nulified Maddison in the first half. Kept the ball moving.

Steven Nzonzi is whst I hope Ndidi will turn into one day but sadly I can't see that happening unless he drastically improves his composure in the ball.

His passing against Wolves was good but it was all over the place today. He’s got the tendency to want to play the Hollywood pass but can’t pull it off. He should take a leaf out of Mendy’s book who plays it short but accurately and quickly helping to build up play. That’s what Kante did and it’s why he was recognised as being the best central midfielder in the division for doing it   

But at the end of the day he’s still one of the first names on the team sheet. His defensive work is top notch. The way we play now will only improve his game and get him ready to step in seamlessly for one of the very top dogs potentially for north of 80m. Passing (and maybe shooting) are the only aspects of his game where he’s found wanting. 

• 1 month later...

I am a big fan of Wilf but does anyone else think he hasn't progressed in the last year? The passing ability has evaded him more and more as well as any attacking threat. Under Shakespeare from February to the end of the season in 16/17 he was a beast for us and it's easy to see that level of all round game might be difficult to maintain but his levels have dropped more than I thought based on that. What do we do to get the best out of him? I like Mendy and individually I think, like our defence they are good players but as a partnership I'm not sure it gives us everything we need.

It's scary that he's still only 21 but I'd like to see some improvement from him, central midfield is a weakness that has been present for the whole of Puel's tenure.

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I am a big fan of Wilf but does anyone else think he hasn't progressed in the last year? The passing ability has evaded him more and more as well as any attacking threat. Under Shakespeare from February to the end of the season in 16/17 he was a beast for us and it's easy to see that level of all round game might be difficult to maintain but his levels have dropped more than I thought based on that. What do we do to get the best out of him? I like Mendy and individually I think, like our defence they are good players but as a partnership I'm not sure it gives us everything we need.

It's scary that he's still only 21 but I'd like to see some improvement from him, central midfield is a weakness that has been present for the whole of Puel's tenure.

I don’t think he’s ever going to improve because the technical part of his game is not in his dna and never will be! He passes the ball like Paul konchesky! 

It’s such a shame really because the tackling, intercepting part of his game is world class! There’s no denying that! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tringfox said:

I don’t think he’s ever going to improve because the technical part of his game is not in his dna and never will be! He passes the ball like Paul konchesky! 

It’s such a shame really because the tackling, intercepting part of his game is world class! There’s no denying that! 

You can improve technique with practice. It's like any profession in that regard. What you might struggle to improve is a mindset and quick thinking, but he seems to see good runs but can't make the passes. Practice makes perfect.

Wilf.

What a character!

Gonna need him to work on his forward passing, dribbling and shooting ability which is to be honest very average. He’s an amazing tackler and has good movement off the ball.

I’m not going to mention he nearly gave away a pen against Everton.

Good as he is, he reminds me of Kante in his first month, where he seemed to just give the ball away with his passing so he could win it back again. More than one occasion first half he played a loose ball which Everton spring upon, before he recovered to take the ball back and close the opportunity. He's a fantastic ball winner, but he needs to be because week on week he's winning back balls he gave away with sloppy passing.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's been disappointing this season, but he's played a ridiculous amount of football the last two or three years for someone so young

28 minutes ago, Beechey said:

You can improve technique with practice. It's like any profession in that regard. What you might struggle to improve is a mindset and quick thinking, but he seems to see good runs but can't make the passes. Practice makes perfect.

You can improve technique with certain players but generally you’ve either got it or you haven’t and you can’t teach it if it’s not part of your game. Look at Paul Scholes he was completely the opposite, one of the best technically gifted players you will ever see yet he could not tackle and never will be able to tackle as its not in his dna. 

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

His passing is getting worse rather than better which is a real concern as it's not the best part of his game anyway, it's not the sort of passing that loses us possesion either (although he does do that) but it's the the sort of clinical passing you need when building an attack, this season numerous times we've been ready to break and the pass he has played has been behind rather than in front of the player that just slows everything down.

A spell out the team might do him good, he wasn't really offering anything to cause on Saturday.

34 minutes ago, Tringfox said:

You can improve technique with certain players but generally you’ve either got it or you haven’t and you can’t teach it if it’s not part of your game. Look at Paul Scholes he was completely the opposite, one of the best technically gifted players you will ever see yet he could not tackle and never will be able to tackle as its not in his dna. 

And there are many in between. If Wilf spent all day practicing his passing technique and nothing else you'd probably see his passing skill increase but the rest of his game regress. I'm concerned as I think his passing is actually getting worse, but it is possible to fix it if he puts the hours in, providing the club make him do that training. Up to the coaches though.

He'll never be a world class passer, but he could be a lot better than he is now.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Beechey said:

And there are many in between. If Wilf spent all day practicing his passing technique and nothing else you'd probably see his passing skill increase but the rest of his game regress. I'm concerned as I think his passing is actually getting worse, but it is possible to fix it if he puts the hours in, providing the club make him do that training. Up to the coaches though.

He'll never be a world class passer, but he could be a lot better than he is now.