Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Fleetwood Town (A) 0-0 FA Cup 3rd Round

Replying to post defending Slim..

I agree to some extent - we just couldn't get numbers forward or front runners going at their defenders  I've seen games where Vards has been left hanging about without support and you couldn't fault him for looking isolated .

I thought Chilwell had a reasonable game but started giving away fouls in the second half which could have been costly. Sadly Barnes appeared to be lacking the most basic skills but it would be harsh to judge him on just this one game 

Edited by surrifox

1 minute ago, Gerbold said:

The BBC commentary, mid first half, mentioned how Silva hadn't been involved. It appears to me that Silva was the logical player to use as the creator of opportunities. I'm now adamant that King and James shouldn't get selected to a starting eleven - because neither are imaginative players. Puel might be a sensible, 'percentage' manager but there has to be a kernel of inventiveness from kick-off. He chose a team that looked like it might do the job - but only if someone grabbed it by the 'scruff of the neck' and shook it into life. Gray showed flashes but he's no thinker. And, however much one can moan and berate forwards, unless they're given opportunities there's little chance of scoring goals.

It's no good singling out individuals for criticism. Sure, there were those who weren't 'clicking' but there are also those who just aren't capable. The team looked competent but mediocre and remained so until Shinji and Albrighton came on - then a little 'normal service' was resumed but not enough to swing a game that should have been ours for the taking. It means we haven't got effective cover in depth by any means - in defence and in that part of the team which is actually as good as almost all of the teams above them - the Mahrez, Vardy, Okazaki, Albrighton foursome.

We can't point any fingers at Puel for the squad we have yet it is his responsibility to find that vital spark to send his teams out with.

That's the difference between the Fleetwoods of the footballing pyramid and the top teams of the Premier. I'm hoping that Silva doesn't become disillusioned by certain uninventive and workaday toilers who were on the field today. Puel has an opportunity to add plaudits to City's reputation - not to just be a placeholder - you have to work hard to retain your position.

There were good performances, that is, in isolation. Amartey, Chilwell and Jakupović were solid with Chilwell attempting to galvanise the performance. And I wonder, had Huth, Simpson and Morgan been on the field today those Fleetwood forwards might have found themselves sore, bone-weary and enjoying much less adulation than they're having at the moment.

Mostly though, this was insipid from City. I understand and acknowledge the injuries that have resulted from the recent run of games - again Puel cannot be held responsible. Some adroit bargaining and purchases need to be made in key positions by the end of the summer transfer window....and some transfers away.

Sorry, but Amartey was arguably the worst the player on the pitch. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

On the LCFC website yesterray they posted tickets for a replay match against fleetwood on the 16th and deleted it soon after. today was a 0-0, is there something sinister going on?...:ph34r:

Shows how much weight Vardy has with the club:vardy:

There’s a lot of disappointment and overreaction on here. This was always going to be difficult, I’m not in the least bit surprised at the outcome. It was a combination of the heavy pitch, a weak disjointed team and them being more hungry than our lot. Embarrassing really, but fear not, we’ll leather em at the king power. 

7 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

I have to respect your point-of-view but I consider he was, at least, holding his part of the line.

Benny 1st half was dire, improved 2nd half. But for me Silva didn’t live up to my expectations. Not slating him at all because everybody knows he’s quality,  but it just goes to show these games have a habit of dragging you down. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He got Southampton to a League Cup Final and still got sacked. It says to him that cups mean nothing so why should he bother?

On the other hand, those players should've been good enough to win handsomely today. Can't blame the manager for that.

Had the same thought in the back of my mind when we lost to man city. I think he's aiming for a Europa league or better spot. I know that'd be my thinking if I were him.

27 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

We have had some really shit halves of football under Puel throughout his time here to be quite honest. How many games have we been walked all over in the first half? 

We just got ripped apart by Fleetwood. It doesn't get much worse.

Ripped apart? Did they have a shot on target?

If we don't prioritise the Cup this season when will we? We're safe in the league, the highest we can hope to finish is 7th, so why not play a strong team in the Cup? Ridiculous in these circumstances to make 8 changes, especially as we have had 5 days since the last game and a week until the next game.  It's also unfair on the fringe players to throw them all in together. You shouldn't be making more than 5 changes in my view. That way you at least have some familiar partnerships still in place. And to compound it all, we even played the first hour in an unfamiliar formation!

Genuinely one of the worst football matches I've seen for a few years - they were terrible too. But at least we're still in the hat. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm not excusing things but the replay team will give us a good clue about how much we want this. I do think, if we'd been at home, we'd have given a different performance, although there is no defending our ball retention and inability to create anything of note.

I think at home on our pitch we will pass them to death and probably put 4 past them. Not making excuses for todays shocking display but that pitch was dire. It was hard to get any kind of passing and rythm going.