Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Grow up and get behind Riyad, or: stop listening to the press and wait and see how he reacts on the pitch

11 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Sorry get rid.  He clearly doesn't want to be here, he has requested a transfer the second time in six months, all this don't believe the press bollox is nonsense.  It is

not good to have a player who doesn't want to be here.  They were even talking about him buying out his own contract last night and then making himself a free agent.

An exceptional talent on his day and I will always  remember the good times but I still don't think he is good enough to lace Keith Wellers boots.

That wouldnt make sense would it??

turn down 65m

Hey Ryhiad give us 13.7m and you can go as a free agent 

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

I just hope he sees the last few months of the season as an incentive to "earn" his move to a bigger club in the summer, rather than giving up and thinking he's stuck here so he might as well be shit. It hurts everybody if he goes all van Dijk and refuses to play. 

What annoyed me most about yesterday was the failure to see it from both sides. The situation arose because Man City placed a derisory bid with no time for us to get a replacement. In the same window that Virgil van Dijk left (after not playing for months and being crap when he came back) for £75M, on the January the 1st. If he costs that much despite his refusal to play, bad performances after coming back and a whole month to find a replacement, how much should our Riyad cost? Also, the reports of £65M were misleading because it was a deal believed to be "worth" £65m. If that was £35m + Mangala or £50m + Zinchenko then they can bollocks. We didn't need those players and if your mate owes you a tenner but says I'll give £5 and 4 cans of Carling when you think they're shit, of course you're gonna say no.

Anyway, even if it was £65m cash - it's still derisory. 

However, we've known for months that he wants to leave and he will have seen it as a free PL winners medal and a crack at the Champions League. Those feelings from the summer won't have disappeared because we're  now 7th. He sees his future above Leicester and that's fine. It's how he goes about these next few months that's important. 

It's neither Leicester's or Riyad's fault that the only teams to make bids have been Roma and Man City and they've all been shit. Hopefully, for all parties, someone comes in with a proper bid in the summer and everybody wins. 

VVD deal included about an extra 15-20m fee because of the clubs not wanting to do business because of tapping up

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Drinkwater got his move immediately, Kante got his release clause met. 

Mahrez has wanted to go for three or four windows, we've told him he can go for at least two of those and it's fallen through in both instances because he feels our value is unrealistic. 

Now don't get me wrong, are value isn't unrealistic and WE shouldn't he held ransom. 

But equally, I can forgive him being frustrated and complaining as long as he cracks on on Saturday and puts a shift in. 

He didnt have a problem signing two new contracts in that time did he?

If he was serious, he shouldnt have signed them - hes naive as **** to think he could just take the extra money on offer and leave a year later.

I'm going to enjoy Mahrez for as long as we have him, but as a football club we need to accept he's not really going to be part of our long term plans and need to look towards securing a replacement at the end of the season as soon as possible.

There is no reason to suggest he's going to do a Van Dijk or anything like that. He's not stupid, that's not going to help him get his dream move if he doesn't play for 3 months, does it?

I expect he'll come back with a smile on his face as Puel suggested and put in performances for us until the end of the season.

I think a lot of the stuff that's come out in the last few days is overhyped bollocks from Sky Sports etc, and he's clearly been pushed by the agent who wants his 10%.

Ultimately, our valuation was not met and that's the reason why he stays, I can understand he wants to move on, fine, but we cannot derail our season for the sake of letting him meet his ambitions...no football club in their right mind would let an asset go on the cheap just because it's good for the player or for some moral obligation to "let him go".

Besides we had no time to secure a replacement. We're in a good position at the moment in the league and if our form picks up again we should be looking at finishing 7th, and have an excellent opportunity to progress in the FA Cup. No way were we going to weaken ourselves without an adequate replacement, which we already did this season with the Silva fiasco.

My concern though is not us getting behind Riyad, it's the other players. Who could blame them if they were a bit fed up with him? 

• Like 2

I’ll say it again. I don’t blame Mahrez for wanting to win trophies, play in front of massive crowds and double his salary.

Who wouldn’t?

But the club don’t want to sell, so if that means he can’t move, tough shit, take it on the chin and earn your money.

Stop crying about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Sure.

We also valued him as a 95m pound asset last night and would never in a million years have risked him. 

No chance Vichai was ever going to let him be in last night's squad, regardless of what anyone claims to the contrary - Puel included in that. 

We'd have wanted him bubble wrapped, packaged and ready to ship to Manchester the second they agreed to give us the best part of hundred million for a guy we signed for a Mars bar and a bag of mitre footballs. 

Good answer. I now stand down. You have put your case ethically and fairly.

In fairness that was my gut reaction to reading that post but you have since gone on to explain it so well I can't help but respect your points.

Good posts.

Personally I don' think there is a right or wrong answer. I feel for him, a bit, but the bottom line is tough shit riyad.  The market has moved and we won't have our pants pulled.down by the big boys.

Edit: Here, have a like.

If I could, you'd have two.

Cos 1 like means a click to me,

But it means a great deal to you.

(Mr. Wendell yeah yeèahhhhhh ??)

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

That wouldnt make sense would it??

turn down 65m

Hey Ryhiad give us 13.7m and you can go as a free agent 

Under the rules of the game any player can buy out their contracts IF the club is in agreement,  Obviously, in Mahrez case our club would not be in agreement.  However,

Ben Watson has just done the very thing at Watford.  Contract cancelled by mutual consent is the same thing.

9 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

He didnt have a problem signing two new contracts in that time did he?

he only signed one with a gentlemen's agreement (which doesn't exist anymore lol ) . riyad's naivety and him thinking that everyone has his best interest in mind got him into this mess.

How will booing Riyad Mahrez help anyone?

If we jumped on lack of application or "let him rot in the reserves" for indiscipline, he would not have lasted 5 minutes with us and we certainly wouldn't have achieved all we have done during his time here.

I don't see how loading shouting disapproval at Mahrez can do anything other than worsen the situation and amuse our competitors.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’ll say it again. I don’t blame Mahrez for wanting to win trophies, play in front of massive crowds and double his salary.

Who wouldn’t?

But the club don’t want to sell, so if that means he can’t move, tough shit, take it on the chin and earn your money.

Stop crying about it.

earn what? 100k? you mean less than lingard? he is underpaid believe it or not.

if it isn't his fault then why are people blaming him?

29 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I honestly don't see how it's our problem him and his representatives left it until the last day of the window to hand in a transfer request, which was also a day we had an important game

If they wanted this transfer to go through they should have handed in the request at the start of the window, when it's clear they already knew there was interest from man city

Like I previously said, I don't begrudge him wanting a transfer, but they knew full well the timing of it would cause disruption in our squad, so to say Mahrez and his representatives are clear of guilt is just plain wrong

Edited by MrSpaM

If he is, apparently, depressed, it's about time for him to 'man up' a bit and put things into perspective.

Many young players in lower French leagues etc wouod be snapping your hand off to know that a club like Leicester has been watching you, sign you up, develop you greatly and achieve the 'impossible' in football (like our PL-winning season).

There's does appear to be a feeling of him 'throwing his toys of the pram' currently, but he's done nothing wrong in just handing in a transfer request and not being selfish in going on strike etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

If we jumped on lack of application or "let him rot in the reserves" for indiscipline, he would not have lasted 5 minutes with us and we certainly wouldn't have achieved all we have done during his time here.

I don't see how loading shouting disapproval at Mahrez can do anything other than worsen the situation and amuse our competitors.

Exactly, booing him will achieve nothing. Instead of booing use that energy to try and get behind the team because the atmosphere recently has been shocking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

i just want riyadh to go super-villain, score a screamer and do the "calma calma" celebration in front of the fans that boo him

• Haha 1

Just now, the fox said:

earn what? 100k? you mean less than lingard? he is underpaid believe it or not.

if it isn't his fault then why are people blaming him?

What? Is not earning 100k per week not enough?

Did I misread you or are you saying ‘poor Mahrez’ for only being paid 100k per week?

1 minute ago, MrSpaM said:

I honestly don't see how it's our problem him and his representatives left it until the last day of the window to hand in a transfer request, which was also a day we had an important game

If they wanted this transfer to go through they should have handed in the request at the start of the window, when it's clear they already knew there was interest from man city

Like I previously said, I don't begrudge him wanting a transfer, but they knew full well the timing of it would cause disruption in our squad, so to say Mahrez and his representatives are clear of guilt is just plain wrong

it's man city that came late, not him. do people not get this?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Besides we had no time to secure a replacement. We're in a good position at the moment in the league and if our form picks up again we should be looking at finishing 7th, and have an excellent opportunity to progress in the FA Cup. No way were we going to weaken ourselves without an adequate replacement, which we already did this season with the Silva fiasco.

My concern though is not us getting behind Riyad, it's the other players. Who could blame them if they were a bit fed up with him? 

Kinda sceptical about the smile on his face at least for the first games. Especially if the crowd decides to boo him.

I don't think it will be rosy in the dressing room but they're pros. As long as they get along on the pitch, fine with me.

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

Are you honestly suggesting his agent hasn't been speaking to man city prior to yesterday, when Pep has already admitted he tried to get him last summer and failed

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What? Is not earning 100k per week not enough?

Did I misread you or are you saying ‘poor Mahrez’ for only being paid 100k per week?

Obviously not but how many £95 million rated players are on 100k. I'm pretty sure zaha, carroll and arnautovic are all earning roughly the same amount.

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

so Mahrez should direct his annoyance and depression at Man City then.

i'm sure if those rich oil money-wielding ****ers had turned up on 1st Jan with £70m they'd have Mahrez in their team today.

but they didn't - even after 'looking at him in the summer' they left it until the last minute to come in and try to stream-roll us into giving him up for £60m.

If I was Mahrez I'd be furious too - not with LCFC but with Man City for being such a bunch of cvnty pricks.  

• Like 3