Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Grow up and get behind Riyad, or: stop listening to the press and wait and see how he reacts on the pitch

14 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Pretty sure he didn't even get in their squad till October and was quite clearly legitimatly injured.

Yes absloutley, I've said elsewhere making him "rot in the reserves" not that we have a reserves anymore is a waste of time and looks very bad on us as a club at the same time. 

I imagine it would be a mixed reception but as I say, I can't really criticise people who have had enough of his antics if that's what they want to do though.  

I'd say that very much depends on him more than us.  

Nope he was on the bench against us.

Here for the people who still think everything is black or white

"Towards the end of his time with City, sources around the club claim Danny Drinkwater became difficult to deal with and City decided to cash in when Chelsea eventually offered an acceptable amount."

Straight from this article:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/what-happens-next-riyad-mahrez-1149975

If Mahrez had privately said to the club on the 1st of January that he'd like to move and agreed a sufficient value on the premise that he and his agent stay professional in the mean time I have absolutely no doubt that Mahrez would not be a Leicester player today.

I absolutely understand his desire to play for one of the so-called big clubs. Man City are favourites for all 4 of the competitions they're in. They'll almost certainly do a domestic treble IMO.

However, there is a right way to behave.

All in all, I sympathise with Mahrez in some respects but I'd like to hope that the dressing room has given him a proper bollocking this morning and we can brush it under the carpet.

We should offer him a new contract (no pay rise, no time extension) with a well-publicised release clause that meets our valuation. If a club wants him then they can pay for him. Gets rid of all of this rubbish. Keeps him happy, keeps the club happy and our gives our scouting department 6 months to find the right man to fill his boots.

Mahrez is in the tier just below world class. He's a fantastic footballer and he knows that. He is Champions League quality.

• Like 3

I think the owners have had a stinker here. 95mil is a bit greedy, especially for a player who doesn’t want to be at the club and could now cause unrest and hinder the rest of our season.

a great player yes, but an absolute areshole.

as a player I love Riyad, but I desperately want him out of our club. He’s a bad apple, he’s proven that.

hes now saying he’s never going to play for the club again. How is that going to effect the players, especially the likes of gray and diabate when he gets the nod ahead of them?

id have happily taken the 75 that was being banded about yesterday, maybe even 65/70 as 11pm loomed.

i hope I’m wrong, but I have a worrying feeling our season is going to fall off a cliff after yesterday.

man city are as much to blame as riyad,  but that doesn’t make him innocent. He doesn’t deserve ou support anymore, we’ve let him off the hook too many times.

its no good keeping players who don’t want to be here. Many will say that we were better to keep him than take what we were offered, but I tend to disagree with that notion.

i could be completely wrong, and I hope I am and that he comes out firing and has a cracking second half to the season. But I fear we will once again see the mahrez we saw before puel came in.

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

Suits me? How does it suit me?

Yes I am sure he handed in 2nd request and no he did never withdraw his first one, which is my point, he is somewhat laboring the point he wants to leave and it is disruptive and annoying.  

if you got any good inside info than i can take your word for it.

ask yourself, is he our best player? is he your creative spark? if yes then we can cut him some slack.

in the NBA and NFL, players who get in trouble are judged on this, "are good enough to be tolerated" and riyad is more than good enough and he isn't a trouble maker (outside his transfer problems)

1 minute ago, dooflip said:

I think the owners have had a stinker here. 95mil is a bit greedy, especially for a player who doesn’t want to be at the club and could now cause unrest and hinder the rest of our season.

a great player yes, but an absolute areshole.

as a player I love Riyad, but I desperately want him out of our club. He’s a bad apple, he’s proven that.

hes now saying he’s never going to play for the club again. How is that going to effect the players, especially the likes of gray and diabate when he gets the nod ahead of them?

id have happily taken the 75 that was being banded about yesterday, maybe even 65/70 as 11pm loomed.

i hope I’m wrong, but I have a worrying feeling our season is going to fall off a cliff after yesterday.

man city are as much to blame as riyad,  but that doesn’t make him innocent. He doesn’t deserve ou support anymore, we’ve let him off the hook too many times.

its no good keeping players who don’t want to be here. Many will say that we were better to keep him than take what we were offered, but I tend to disagree with that notion.

i could be completely wrong, and I hope I am and that he comes out firing and has a cracking second half to the season. But I fear we will once again see the mahrez we saw before puel came in.

lol 

Sick of this shite that we should be paying him more, if he thinks he's worth 150k a week then he better hope that a bigger club who can afford to pay that will stump that up for him. Until then, he's our player on the wages of the contract he signed with us, we don't owe it to him to increase his wages just because no one will pay his market value.

1 hour ago, SamDZ said:

Its not a sweet candy, he just finished his career can't you understand that,  Leicester will exist forever,  while he has 3 years left he is not 20, this was his last chance and its gone. 

What part of his career is finished? Is he injured?

And also don't make jokes about existing forever mate, some of us were fans of Leicester when the club was weeks away from going bust.

people mistake wanting to go to a bigger club for "he doesn't want to be here"

imagine if google offered you a job that gets you more money, more acknowledgment, better co workers and a great boss. people will take that offer in a second. imagine you are paid 100k a year, it's a great pay but you see less accomplished peers getting 200k-250k will you be happy?

Edited by the fox

2 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Sick of this shite that we should be paying him more, if he thinks he's worth 150k a week then he better hope that a bigger club who can afford to pay that will stump that up for him. Until then, he's our player on the wages of the contract he signed with us, we don't owe it to him to increase his wages just because no one will pay his market value.

if the club demand 95 million for him, they better pay what 95 million players are worth. it's a two way street, mate.

• Like 1

Just now, the fox said:

if the club demand 95 million for him, they better pay what 95 million players are worth. it's a two way street, mate.

Nonsense, he signed a new contract on 100k a week and he'll stay on that until somebody pays what he thinks he's worth. We're under no obligation to give him a pay rise, we're not trying to keep him we're just waiting until we get the right offer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

If Mahrez had privately said to the club on the 1st of January that he'd like to move and agreed a sufficient value on the premise that he and his agent stay professional in the mean time I have absolutely no doubt that Mahrez would not be a Leicester player today.

I absolutely understand his desire to play for one of the so-called big clubs. Man City are favourites for all 4 of the competitions they're in. They'll almost certainly do a domestic treble IMO.

However, there is a right way to behave.

All in all, I sympathise with Mahrez in some respects but I'd like to hope that the dressing room has given him a proper bollocking this morning and we can brush it under the carpet.

We should offer him a new contract (no pay rise, no time extension) with a well-publicised release clause that meets our valuation. If a club wants him then they can pay for him. Gets rid of all of this rubbish. Keeps him happy, keeps the club happy and our gives our scouting department 6 months to find the right man to fill his boots.

Mahrez is in the tier just below world class. He's a fantastic footballer and he knows that. He is Champions League quality.

Superb post. I agree with it all.

2 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Nonsense, he signed a new contract on 100k a week and he'll stay on that until somebody pays what he thinks he's worth. We're under no obligation to give him a pay rise, we're not trying to keep him we're just waiting until we get the right offer.

oh i see, it's not a two way street any more. would you be happy if you are worth 5 million to your company but you get paid 10k a month?

you can't demand "loyalty" and "love" from your players while the only thing you care about is business. it makes you look like a hypocrite

Edited by the fox

The main issue was the timing, he was clearly an afterthought for Man City else they'd have bid earlier, there wasn't even rumours of an interest until a few days ago.

The problem with Mahrez is that as soon as there was a rumour of a bid he's gone AWOL (if you believe what has been said) he didn't turn up for training on Tuesday allegedly. Him not travelling for yesterdays game is fair enough but he should have been in the day before.

25 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

At least Barcelona actually wanted Coutinho.  Man City dont have remotely the same level of interest in Mahrez

so, pep was lying? didn't he say that they tried for him in the summer?

Everybody knows we were trying but we cannot afford, in this moment, this amount of what they are asking. I understand perfectly.

"We tried to do it in the summertime, we tried to do it now, but like summer, they locked the door and we can go to the summer and holidays.

Edited by the fox

The ball is now in Mahrez's court. It's understandable that he's upset but if he has anything about him, he'll get someone in his entourage who has a way with words to write out an official statement on his behalf that will express his disappointment but confirm that he will continue to give his all for Leicester and help them finish as high as possible in the Premier League/FA Cup this season etc etc.

At the moment his anger might be such that this is the last thing he feels like doing but he will cool down eventually and realise that he has a career to pursue and money to earn. If he shows a positive attitude, gets his teammates, his manager and the fans onside and performs to the best of his ability, then he will almost certainly get his move in the summer, when all parties can negotiate without the pressure of a ticking clock - and Leicester can line up an adequate replacement.

If he continues to hold a grudge against the football club that made him who he is, it will only end badly for him - and, alas, also for our beloved club.

I don't begrudge him a move away. and I would prefer it if he stayed, but only if we get the right price.

The big six are responsible for setting the current crazy state of the transfer market, when  Liverpool demanding a kings ransom for Coutinho and then  paying  stupid money for Van Dijk. When Man City pay £57 Million for a uncapped central defender I'm sorry but it's going to take more than £65 million to get Mahrez.

All the last few days have reinforced my view that a lot of football "fans" and "pundits" really aren't that bright (I'm being polite!) and Mahrez should probably consider looking for a agent who works for him and not his bank balance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, the fox said:

so, pep was lying? didn't he say that they tried for him in the summer?

Everybody knows we were trying but we cannot afford, in this moment, this amount of what they are asking. I understand perfectly.

"We tried to do it in the summertime, we tried to do it now, but like summer, they locked the door and we can go to the summer and holidays.

That means that maybe they inquired in the summer but we said 50 million GBP and they didnt bid

They havent come close to our evaluation

They could have paid 50 mill for him in the summer, if they'd really wanted him.  We know for a fact that Roma put in the highest bid and it was, what, 40 million euros?

5 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

That means that maybe they inquired in the summer but we said 50 million GBP and they didnt bid

They havent come close to our evaluation

They could have paid 50 mill for him in the summer, if they'd really wanted him.  We know for a fact that Roma put in the highest bid and it was, what, 40 million euros?

no one knows exactly how much the offers were, the only thing i know is, there were offers (many here said that there were non)

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Drinkwater got his move immediately, Kante got his release clause met. 

Mahrez has wanted to go for three or four windows, we've told him he can go for at least two of those and it's fallen through in both instances because he feels our value is unrealistic. 

Now don't get me wrong, are value isn't unrealistic and WE shouldn't he held ransom. 

But equally, I can forgive him being frustrated and complaining as long as he cracks on on Saturday and puts a shift in. 

What I find incredulous is that he signed a lucrative 4 year deal without a release clause,if he knew how much he wanted to leave...... why?

If there is nothing documented or contracted regarding these so called agreements to let him go then tough titties I'm afraid.

I suggest he gets a decent agent, if such a thing exists, and has something binding in place for the summer.

Obviously noone wants to see the mercurial genius leave but it seems inevitable now, so let's hope something is in place to stop the circus coming to town again!

27 minutes ago, the fox said:

if you got any good inside info than i can take your word for it.

ask yourself, is he our best player? is he your creative spark? if yes then we can cut him some slack.

in the NBA and NFL, players who get in trouble are judged on this, "are good enough to be tolerated" and riyad is more than good enough and he isn't a trouble maker (outside his transfer problems)

It's in every media outlet in Great Britain, 

I intend to, I do however feel people should not feel obliged to, it's all gone past that now, if they feel he's gone to far I don't think they can be called out for it anymore.

38 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Nope he was on the bench against us.

Here for the people who still think everything is black or white

"Towards the end of his time with City, sources around the club claim Danny Drinkwater became difficult to deal with and City decided to cash in when Chelsea eventually offered an acceptable amount."

Straight from this article:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/what-happens-next-riyad-mahrez-1149975

Well even still, that's what 2 weeks after he signed? and he didn't actually kick a football till October because he wasn't fit

3 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Well even still, that's what 2 weeks after he signed? and he didn't actually kick a football till October because he wasn't fit

He obviously was refusing to play because of this 'injury'. It was probably the same one that reappears whenever he gets called up for England.