Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Grow up and get behind Riyad, or: stop listening to the press and wait and see how he reacts on the pitch

Just now, Col city fan said:

What? Is not earning 100k per week not enough?

Did I misread you or are you saying ‘poor Mahrez’ for only being paid 100k per week?

the club value him at 95 million but pay him 100k a week? what a joke. benteke is on 120k, van dijk on 180, mkhi on 170. ozil on 350, hazard and cesc on 220k, and if reports are true, sanchez is on 500k. the only player that you can say is the clear out better player is hazard (and maybe sanchez)

those numbers are from reports, i can't say that they are 100% true but they are close enough

• Like 2

1 hour ago, les-tah said:

If the stories are infact true.. then its him that needs to grow up the little cry baby.

Its not a sweet candy, he just finished his career can't you understand that,  Leicester will exist forever,  while he has 3 years left he is not 20, this was his last chance and its gone. 

8 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

I honestly don't see how it's our problem him and his representatives left it until the last day of the window to hand in a transfer request, which was also a day we had an important game

If they wanted this transfer to go through they should have handed in the request at the start of the window, when it's clear they already knew there was interest from man city

Like I previously said, I don't begrudge him wanting a transfer, but they knew full well the timing of it would cause disruption in our squad, so to say Mahrez and his representatives are clear of guilt is just plain wrong

I think the part you're overlooking is that we also wanted the transfer to go through. 

If we weren't willing to do business then obviously he'd have been in the squad, we'd have publicly warned off City and disciplined Riyad. 

We were happy to sell and we were protecting our asset because Vichai's eyes were lit up at the thought of 95m in the coffers. 

You don't stand in a China shop throwing about the cups and plates. We were never going to risk Riyad because we WANTED to sell him. 

I think that's a concept our fans need to accept. Riyad is a commodity we have every intention of selling for profit if the price is right. He IS going (unless we qualify for the champions league or offer him 500k a week and sign some world class players to play with him which is probably unlikely.) 

2 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

so Mahrez should direct his annoyance and depression at Man City then.

everyone shares a bit of the blame, riyad for being hot headed, man city for coming in late and the club because they didn't say how much they want for him which started this whole fiasco. just saying "for the right offer" will only make things worse

5 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Are you honestly suggesting his agent hasn't been speaking to man city prior to yesterday, when Pep has already admitted he tried to get him last summer and failed

they can talk for 10 years for i care, the offer is what's important, and the offer came in late

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think the part you're overlooking is that we also wanted the transfer to go through. 

If we weren't willing to do business then obviously he'd have been in the squad, we'd have publicly warned off City and disciplined Riyad. 

We were happy to sell and we were protecting our asset because Vichai's eyes were lit up at the thought of 95m in the coffers. 

You don't stand in a China shop throwing about the cups and plates. We were never going to risk Riyad because we WANTED to sell him. 

I think that's a concept our fans need to accept. Riyad is a commodity we have every intention of selling for profit if the price is right. He IS going (unless we qualify for the champions league or offer him 500k a week and sign some world class players to play with him which is probably unlikely.) 

Like I've previously said, I don't begrudge him the move whatsoever, and Man City is a club I wouldn't mind him going to tbh

I just don't really see how people can have a go at our fans for being upset our best player was excluded from playing in a very important game purely because of some transfer nonsense that should have been sorted weeks ago

I won't boo Mahrez, Him and Vardy are still my favourite Leicester players, and will continue to be. But I can fully understand why people might be upset, regardless of where the blame lays

16 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

How will booing Riyad Mahrez help anyone?

If we jumped on lack of application or "let him rot in the reserves" for indiscipline, he would not have lasted 5 minutes with us and we certainly wouldn't have achieved all we have done during his time here.

I don't see how loading shouting disapproval at Mahrez can do anything other than worsen the situation and amuse our competitors.

I never understood why one would boo one of their own players. At least not during the game. You have to be brainless for that.

If the player isn't having a blinder that surely won't help him and he'll be even more crap. Him being being crap surely won't help the team either. So what's the logic behind it?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, the fox said:

it's man city that came late, not him. do people not get this?

There never was a formal bid made, only "interest" shown by Manchester City. It is widely reported that Riyad handed in a transfer request (his second after last summer's) on the 30th of January.

So shame on Riyad and particularly his agent for trying to play the game according to their rules. Manchester City were simply in for the sake of it, trying to figure out how far they can go without really committing to a deal.

As long as he still puts in effort for us i dont care how much he makes a fool of himself off the pitch.  This guardian article puts a nice comparison of Arsenal coming in for Evans, but too late so was obviously dismissed outright

Why should there be any debate about us refusing to sell Mahrez?

Said it before. Fuch Danny Murphy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/01/football-transfer-rumours-what-next-for-riyad-mahrez-and-leicester

39 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Drinkwater got his move immediately, Kante got his release clause met. 

Mahrez has wanted to go for three or four windows, we've told him he can go for at least two of those and it's fallen through in both instances because he feels our value is unrealistic. 

Now don't get me wrong, are value isn't unrealistic and WE shouldn't he held ransom. 

But equally, I can forgive him being frustrated and complaining as long as he cracks on on Saturday and puts a shift in. 

It does not matter at all, 90% of professional footballers manage to transfer to one club to another without acting like a child. The only difference between the likes of him Payet Berehinho etc is he has come back and he has remained professional on the pitch.

Well this is very much my opinion but it has got past the point where I think I can tell other people they shouldn't be angry at his actions because they have grounds, his actions are unprofessional,  disruptive to everyone else at the club, it doesn't make him look great, and makes other clubs think they can come in with derogatory offers unsettle him and get him on the cheap compounding this problem. If someone wants to hold the opinion the club are better off without him I no longer view it as unreasonable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

There never was a formal bid made, only "interest" shown by Manchester City. It is widely reported that Riyad handed in a transfer request (his second after last summer's) on the 30th of January.

So shame on Riyad and particularly his agent for trying to play the game according to their rules. Manchester City were simply in for the sake of it, trying to figure out how far they can go without really committing to a deal.

there were offers that the club rejected (which were reported by descent journalists)

we have to get rid of this double standard, there is no loyalty out there, the owners won't lose a single penny to make sure he is happy so he did what he did.

unprofessional? yeah, but that's football. the owners will demand more that 80 million for him in the summer, mark my words

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

lollollollol is this for real? 

Who needs to see a quote to know Mahrez doesn't want to be here. The clue is in the fact he's put in two transfer requests ffs lollol 

doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here, it just means that he has found a better opportunity. This is the stupidest thing ever, would you stay at your job all your life if you have the ability to get a better salary and better missions, just for the sake of loyalty? Yeah right..

Its not like he wants to leave Leicester for Brighton. Get a grip

Personally ready to welcome Riyad back with open arms. The amount of over-sensitivity in here is laughable really. The guy wanted a move to one of the top clubs in Europe on huge money, so his emotions are understandable, but if he or anyone else can’t see that selling our best player for £30m less than we value him at the very last minute is stupid as fvck then they can do one. Hopefully Riyad has his head screwed on and see that our club are not the ones in the wrong.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

I don't begrudge Mahrez a move to a bigger club. Infact I can't see why Barca forked out 130M for Dembele and 140M for Coutinho, when I believe Mahrez is better or equal to those two. The problem is the constant washing of dirty laundry in public. In the summer everybody knew he was so desperate to get away, he was hanging around an airport. Now all these new revelations are coming out by his "friend". I thought Mahrez had learnt his lesson from the Summer, but it looks like he hasn't. If he bothers showing up, i'll appreciate his talent, but I hope he gets his move in the Summer, as much for the club as him. I can't take another transfer window when our clubs reputation is dragged through the mud.

20 minutes ago, the fox said:

there were offers that the club rejected (which were reported by descent journalists)

we have to get rid of this double standard, there is no loyalty out there, the owners won't lose a single penny to make sure he is happy so he did what he did.

unprofessional? yeah, but that's football. the owners will demand more that 80 million for him in the summer, mark my words

37 minutes ago, the fox said:

everyone shares a bit of the blame, riyad for being hot headed, man city for coming in late and the club because they didn't say how much they want for him which started this whole fiasco. just saying "for the right offer" will only make things worse

I largely sympathise with all your points made regarding Mahrez over the last couple of days, but there were no bids according to the journalist with the most access to our club (John Percy) - personally I think that's neither here nor there really as negotiations were clearly ongoing - and the owners are absolutely correct to not name a price in such a volatile market where player prices seem to be rising by the week.

If out valuation was met, we'd have sold. And I've got no problem with riyad putting in a transfer request either. I actually don't really blame man city too much either - they were just negotiating in the way they thought would work out best for their club. Sucks for us, but we wouldn't be bothered if the shoe was on the other foot.

Either way, he's still our best player and it's in his interest, the club's interest, and the fans interest to pull together, support each other and do what we can to get into the tinpot cup this season! I've been to Tirana and it's brills!

As you say, let’s see how he performs.

He’s ‘depressed’ we are told which doesn’t bode well and presumably is a massive over statement.

He downed tools last season in my opinion, and he’s gone awol on the last two transfers deadline days.

Cant see why the opening post is aimed at the fans, who seem to be being portrayed as the villains of this piece.

I suggest people who can’t see what a joke this game is becoming should get back in the real world, and stop siding with an over paid person who they do not know.

It is they who need to stop acting like 6 year olds.

For clarity I wouldn’t be booing him under any circumstances, and nor should anyone; and I’m not sure that anyone has?

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Squad-will-put-a-smile-back-on-Mahrezs-face-Puel-c959a8d0-de72-4f6d-9821-561b20b9bb1f-ds

“We receive at the last moment something about City and I think it was harsh for us. It was difficult also for Riyad,” said the Frenchman.

“We have to understand (all) parts: for me, for the squad, for the player. We will accept the decision, it was a decision taken between the two clubs.

“Of course I have all confidence about the owner to take a good decision about Riyad for the future and after we will see with Riyad when he can come back with us.

“All the players and staff will help him to come back with a smile and to enjoy his football.

“Players know it will be difficult sometimes for Riyad. We have a fantastic group, a fantastic squad, all the players have a fantastic relationship. All the players will give their best for Riyad.”

Can't see anywhere here where Puel is annoyed with Riyad - he's a victim or circumstance in this instance. He couldn't be in the squad last night if we were willing to sell him as he'd need to go for a medical.

57 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What? Is not earning 100k per week not enough?

Did I misread you or are you saying ‘poor Mahrez’ for only being paid 100k per week?

That's a stupid thing to say. Leicester doesn't wanna get ripped off in the current transfer market, well neither does Mahrez. 

You can't demand 95m and pay him less than other players valued at this price point. 

100k/week isn't a fair wage based on the current market. Just like 60m for Mahrez isn't fair in the current market. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Squad-will-put-a-smile-back-on-Mahrezs-face-Puel-c959a8d0-de72-4f6d-9821-561b20b9bb1f-ds

“We receive at the last moment something about City and I think it was harsh for us. It was difficult also for Riyad,” said the Frenchman.

“We have to understand (all) parts: for me, for the squad, for the player. We will accept the decision, it was a decision taken between the two clubs.

“Of course I have all confidence about the owner to take a good decision about Riyad for the future and after we will see with Riyad when he can come back with us.

“All the players and staff will help him to come back with a smile and to enjoy his football.

“Players know it will be difficult sometimes for Riyad. We have a fantastic group, a fantastic squad, all the players have a fantastic relationship. All the players will give their best for Riyad.”

Can't see anywhere here where Puel is annoyed with Riyad - he's a victim or circumstance in this instance. He couldn't be in the squad last night if we were willing to sell him as he'd need to go for a medical.

You can't say that. It doesn't fit the current narrative.

11 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I largely sympathise with all your points made regarding Mahrez over the last couple of days, but there were no bids according to the journalist with the most access to our club (John Percy) - personally I think that's neither here nor there really as negotiations were clearly ongoing - and the owners are absolutely correct to not name a price in such a volatile market where player prices seem to be rising by the week.

If out valuation was met, we'd have sold. And I've got no problem with riyad putting in a transfer request either. I actually don't really blame man city too much either - they were just negotiating in the way they thought would work out best for their club. Sucks for us, but we wouldn't be bothered if the shoe was on the other foot.

Either way, he's still our best player and it's in his interest, the club's interest, and the fans interest to pull together, support each other and do what we can to get into the tinpot cup this season! I've been to Tirana and it's brills!

but that's the reason he is trying to force a move. the owners don't want to name their price so should he guess? this is the reason all this mess started, promised him a move for 50 million than told him the market is different now. he thought anything over 50 million is enough (which was offered by man city)

the owners handled it poorly, they go on and on about "family" and "loyalty" but they only care about their money (as they should). riyad is at fault, he thought it was a "family" business and the owners told him to jog on, now he came in fire blazing which made the situation that much worse.

it's a game of chicken, riyad blinked and he is now paying for it. can't blame the owners here, absolutely ruthless

Edited by the fox