Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Riyad Mahez - We’ll miss him when he’s gone

On 15/03/2018 at 18:55, the fox said:

If you don't want a statue of this pic outside the king power in 20 years time then i don't know what to say....

2EAAF69900000578-3956984-image-m-5_14797

Along with one of Wes and Ranieri lifting the trophy. You'd need to wait until all the first team retires though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

......I suspect he will bring in Ben Arfa in the summer.

You will have Ben Arfa starting and Diabate replacing him after 60 minutes. Seems like a good way to integrate Diabate, greater pitch time  on the right (his preferred) position.

We will be spending the money we will get for Mahrez in other positions as Ben Arfa will be on a free, so just wages as a cost implication. Mahrez needs to go this summer for his own personal satisfaction and the sake of the team. I am sure there is an agreement in place for his departure this summer and for all concerned it is essential that he leaves.

I hope he finds the satisfaction that he craves in his game and wish him all the best.!!!

On 28/03/2018 at 21:34, Redouane said:

I just realized that he has as many goals as Vardy without counting penalties. That's  insane

Why is it insane?

Mahrez is an attacker, The team is centred around Mahrez, Mahrez has far far more possession than Jamie, Mahrez has more shots than Jamie. it's just that Jamie is far more efficient.

What I find interesting is that you are not the first fanboy to remove the penalties from the total. Is that because penalties don't count? I'd understand if it was that penalties are easy goals and Mahrez was as efficient as Vardy with penalties but Mahrez has missed 5 out of 14 penalties he's taken - that's over 35%. Vardy has only missed 2 out of 12 that's about 16%.

Let's face it we'd rather have Mahrez taking a fk from outside the box than a penalty. When he has a FK I'm excited, when I see him going for the penalty I'm cringing.

There's no need to knock Vardy when you're bigging up Mahrez. Talk about Mahrez fine passing skills and free kicks but don't mention penalties.

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Why is it insane?

Mahrez is an attacker, The team is centred around Mahrez, Mahrez has far far more possession than Jamie, Mahrez has more shots than Jamie. it's just that Jamie is far more efficient.

What I find interesting is that you are not the first fanboy to remove the penalties from the total. Is that because penalties don't count? I'd understand if it was that penalties are easy goals and Mahrez was as efficient as Vardy with penalties but Mahrez has missed 5 out of 14 penalties he's taken - that's over 35%. Vardy has only missed 2 out of 12 that's about 16%.

Let's face it we'd rather have Mahrez taking a fk from outside the box than a penalty. When he has a FK I'm excited, when I see him going for the penalty I'm cringing.

There's no need to knock Vardy when you're bigging up Mahrez. Talk about Mahrez fine passing skills and free kicks but don't mention penalties.

He has only scored twice in four seasons ! 

Considering the ability he has in that left foot, it’s a weakness in his game.  The same is true of pens. A player with his ability should be comfortable with pens. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, st albans fox said:

He has only scored twice in four seasons ! 

Considering the ability he has in that left foot, it’s a weakness in his game.  The same is true of pens. A player with his ability should be comfortable with pens. 

Because he doesn't always go for a scoring FK? He crosses it more often than attempting a direct FK. Why don't you also show how many assists he got from set pieces?

13 hours ago, FIF said:

Why is it insane?

Last season, everyone was taking off penalties from mahrez and now all of a sudden they count like regular goals?

Also I'm not knocking down vardy at all, they both are in the top 10 of top scorers in the league. I couldn't be happier, actually.

You accuse me of being a fanboy, but here you are being butthurt after a fair point, that was in no way critical of vardy. 

9 hours ago, Redouane said:

Because he doesn't always go for a scoring FK? He crosses it more often than attempting a direct FK. Why don't you also show how many assists he got from set pieces?

It’s a weakness. Most players with his ability would be attempting to score because they would have a good record of doing so from these positions. When it’s within shooting range, we should be having an effort on goal. The fact that sometimes we don’t, illustrates that we don’t have a player in the team with the ability to do so,( expecting success). 

I guess everyone can’t be a messi!  Riyad has talents that others don’t and vice versa. I’m just surprised that he can’t work on his free kicks - quick feet and the dribbling skills he has are not something that you can particularly improve with practice but converting free kicks (with the left foot he has) surely is. 

lets have a side bet - if he leaves in the summer for Man City, within two seasons he will be taking free kicks for them on goal (for a left footed player ) and doing pretty well in comparison to now. Pep would make sure he improves this side of his game! 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It’s a weakness. Most players with his ability would be attempting to score because they would have a good record of doing so from these positions. When it’s within shooting range, we should be having an effort on goal. The fact that sometimes we don’t, illustrates that we don’t have a player in the team with the ability to do so,( expecting success). 

I guess everyone can’t be a messi!  Riyad has talents that others don’t and vice versa. I’m just surprised that he can’t work on his free kicks - quick feet and the dribbling skills he has are not something that you can particularly improve with practice but converting free kicks (with the left foot he has) surely is. 

lets have a side bet - if he leaves in the summer for Man City, within two seasons he will be taking free kicks for them on goal (for a left footed player ) and doing pretty well in comparison to now. Pep would make sure he improves this side of his game! 

I'm not sure why he doesn't attempt them more often,  but when he scores them, they look worldclass, like the one vs bournemouth. 

Also can't forget the one versus Brugge 

• 3 weeks later...

In the past eight matches, he‘s amassed a grand total of two goals and one assist.

Not the player he used to be two years ago. Shades of that at the start of Puel‘s reign, trying to show off for the new manager. Since then, we‘ve had the January transfer window antics, and countless „I can‘t be bothered any longer“ performances.

A few neat touches here and there can‘t cover the fact that he‘s been largely ineffective for the better part of three months now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

In the past eight matches, he‘s amassed a grand total of two goals and one assist.

Not the player he used to be two years ago. Shades of that at the start of Puel‘s reign, trying to show off for the new manager. Since then, we‘ve had the January transfer window antics, and countless „I can‘t be bothered any longer“ performances.

A few neat touches here and there can‘t cover the fact that he‘s been largely ineffective for the better part of three months now.

Was always going to be the case. You're never going to prove if he was playing for a move or not, but he's certainly not been the same player since the man city debacle.

1 minute ago, Abrasive fox said:

Was always going to be the case. You're never going to prove if he was playing for a move or not, but he's certainly not been the same player since the man city debacle.

He needs to go in the summer, can‘t do with that half-hearted attitude on the pitch. He‘s not in it for us anymore.

At times, it feels as if he‘s intentionally going into hiding during matches, trying not to risk more than is absolutely necessary.

Just now, adam said:

I wouldn't play him again. What's the point. He doesn't want to be here so we may as well give his shirt to someone who is gonna be here next season. Looked half arsed again last night. 

Wouldn't say again but the next game vs Palace I would start Diabate instead.

The season is over so now is the time to build for next year. Diabate will be a good player and the more game time he gets the better.

He's had 4 or 5 great games this season and the rest of the time he's been what he was all of last season. FT posters over value him, he is what he is a player who can occasionally show brilliance but most of the time doesn't.

Watching Diabaté I think that he has far more ball skill than Mahrez, but Mahrez has the better vision and long pass (which he should be using a lot more often instead of thinking he's the greatest dribbler on the planet - when he's actually only the 3rd best dribbler on the team). He really hasn't made that much difference to our team since the season that we won the league.

I think people will realise this next season when we do better than we have this year and last year.