Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

41 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Do you honestly think that signing a number 10 and an attacking right back whilst selling Mahrez is going to make us better? He can't even get the best out of players like Gray who is probably the same level as what we will sign in the summer. 

He's got options to play at number 10 and right back that suit his style better and he's not even played them.

Flair players thrive under him and he gave Gray more than one chance and there is only that much he can do. If Gray isn't delivering maybe it's on the player's side.

Which 10 and FB that would suit his style in our squad? As far as I know there isn't any.

6 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Flair players thrive under him and he gave Gray more than one chance and there is only that much he can do. If Gray isn't delivering maybe it's on the player's side.

Which 10 and FB that would suit his style in our squad? As far as I know there isn't any.

Do flair players thrive under him? This argument seems to be driven by him having some really good players play for him, they're good players anyway not solely because of Puel. If flair players did thrive under him we'd have seen a lot more from players like Gray and even Silva.

Mahrez was good when he was trying to get a move, but has hardly lit up the world since.

It took him three years to get anything out of Ben Arfa, who on his day is a good player anyway.

Hazard played for him for one year.

In our squad I'd argue Amartey is more suite to the system than Simpson and he has a number of options at 10 - Diabete, Gray and even Mahrez, but he's gone with Okazaki and Iheanacho more time than any of them.

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

All of those you have sighted improved the teams they had albeit slowly.

Benitez at Newcastle is a great example, Newcastle were better as soon as he came in and 6 months down the line they're walking the championship.

Dyche was the same with Burnley and Wagner made Huddersfield one of the best footballing sides in the championship after about six months.

Puel came in and did a really good job but since January it has got steadily worse, that's the challenge for him - if fans could see it improving I think they'd be more patient, but I don't think anyone could deny the last 17 games haven't been pretty - even the wins we've had (West Brom, worst side in the league, Brighton, we were awful, Watford, half decent performance, Huddersfield, dire first half) haven't exactly been convincing.

They had poor spells and then with time worked their teams how they wished into better form. Wagner, Dyche and Benitez have all had comparable spells to what Puel is going through now. All three this season alone having long winless runs. 

Whether its Puel or not, the current squad needs rebuilding. In the summer we need to give someone the opportunity, time and stability to build the squad back up. Time to give stability a go - Rudkin won’t do that though as along as it’s the managers fault, he isn’t under scrunity. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Do flair players thrive under him? This argument seems to be driven by him having some really good players play for him, they're good players anyway not solely because of Puel. If flair players did thrive under him we'd have seen a lot more from players like Gray and even Silva.

Mahrez was good when he was trying to get a move, but has hardly lit up the world since.

It took him three years to get anything out of Ben Arfa, who on his day is a good player anyway.

Hazard played for him for one year.

In our squad I'd argue Amartey is more suite to the system than Simpson and he has a number of options at 10 - Diabete, Gray and even Mahrez, but he's gone with Okazaki and Iheanacho more time than any of them.

Let me refresh your memory then.

Gray started as soon as Puel came in and had the longest run any previous manager ever gave him. Then he faded away and was dropped. End of the story.

Silva was more problematic since he didn't play for 6 months. He's not a 10 anyway and frankly, from what I saw, a fit Iborra is above him in the peak order even if he plays a bit deeper. Too easily knocked off the ball and lots of stray passes. Jury's still off though as he didn't play for months and still needs to adjust to this league.

Mahrez was flying before january and near his 2015/16 level. The man who freed him from defensive duties and gave license to roam was Puel. Been damaged goods since Manchester City messed up with him. Hardly Puels fault who brought him back in the team as soon as it was possible. Had a couple of good games when he came back and then switched off.

While not being an ITK, my thought is that he already knows where he's going this summer and is simply going through the motion, which deeply disappoints me.

Hazard came to Lille in 2005 and played first for their U-18 as Puel was already in charge. Who gave Hazard his chance to play in the first team? He came on for his first game aged 16 (!)

Huh? Ben Arfa played only one season for Nice before moving to PSG. At that time his career was almost over and he didn't play for 6 months. Puel got the best out of him in one season.

Amartey is injured. Mahrez is shit in the hole and Gray not better, Diabaté is a pure winger. Shinji is a dead end when it comes to going forward but at least he runs a bit.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Do you honestly think that signing a number 10 and an attacking right back whilst selling Mahrez is going to make us better? He can't even get the best out of players like Gray who is probably the same level as what we will sign in the summer. 

He's got options to play at number 10 and right back that suit his style better and he's not even played them.

Make us better? No I don't think it will shoot us up the league, but then we aren't going to spend the money to do that anyway. Unless the owners want to spend £300m+, we're a 7th - 12th type team.

What I do think getting the right players in can do, is enable him to play the way he wants. Which in turn should make the style of play more palatable.... which is what I presume the issue is that people have?

What options does he have as a 10? Okazaki can't pass, Silva isn't a 10, Slimani isn't a 10. Iheancho blows so hot and cold I have no idea if he's any good. We need good movement, control, passing and creativity in there and none of them really tick the box.

What options does he have at right back? Simpson who isn't an attacking right back, Albrighton and Amartey. Neither of whom are even right backs, Amartey has been injured and not available for selection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

Let me refresh your memory then.

Gray started as soon as Puel came in and had the longest run any previous manager ever gave him. Then he faded away and was dropped. End of the story.

Silva was more problematic since he didn't play for 6 months. He's not a 10 anyway and frankly, from what I saw, a fit Iborra is above him in the peak order even if he plays a bit deeper. Too easily knocked off the ball and lots of stray passes. Jury's still off though as he didn't play for months and still needs to adjust to this league.

Mahrez was flying before january and near his 2015/16 level. The man who freed him from defensive duties and gave license to roam was Puel. Been damaged goods since Manchester City messed up with him. Hardly Puels fault who brought him back in the team as soon as it was possible. Had a couple of good games when he came back and then switched off.

While not being an ITK, my thought is that he already knows where he's going this summer and is simply going through the motion, which deeply disappoints me.

Hazard came to Lille in 2005 and played first for their U-18 as Puel was already in charge. Who gave Hazard his chance to play in the first team? He came on for his first game aged 16 (!)

Huh? Ben Arfa played only one season for Nice before moving to PSG. At that time his career was almost over and he didn't play for 6 months. Puel got the best out of him in one season.

Amartey is injured. Mahrez is shit in the hole and Gray not better, Diabaté is a pure winger. Shinji is a dead end when it comes to going forward but at least he runs a bit.

On Mahrez I think you've contradicted your own point there.

It's not his fault he's not playing well and but it was down to him that he was brilliant?

Hazard - top 10 player in the world probably, Puel just played him - I imagine most managers would have played a 16 year old Hazard hardly made him did he? Shall we credit David Moyes in creating Wayne Rooney?

1 minute ago, Abrasive fox said:

It's not his fault he's not playing well and but it was down to him that he was brilliant?

Hazard - top 10 player in the world probably, Puel just played him - I imagine most managers would have played a 16 year old Hazard hardly made him did he? Shall we credit David Moyes in creating Wayne Rooney?

Wait, do we not?

6 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Lol, no I didn't. Puel built the team and his game around Mahrez gave him the freedom he needed to express himself. Now his "depression" is something personal and has nothing to do with Puel. A Player must fullfill his part. Or should Puel have read him fairy tales every night before a game?

Why do I even bother...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Lol, no I didn't. Puel built the team and his game around Mahrez gave him the freedom he needed to express himself. Now his "depression" is something personal and has nothing to do with Puel. A Player must fullfill his part. Or should Puel have read him fairy tales every night before a game?

Why do I even bother...

I really don't know mate.

23 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Why do I even bother...

5 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I really don't know mate.

an open goal that even simpson couldn't miss !

35 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Wait, do we not?

Personally, I credit Peter Taylor for the creation known as Junior Lewis  - so yeah,  maybe the Moyes/Rooney example has some legs?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richardsfoxes said:

I don't understand what is it people on this forum want. Fair enough Puel's current form isn't good enough but some of the names being sprouted out of thin air in this thread borders on complete delusion in the situation we are currently in. 

To be entertained........

I go to football too, forget about this rest of life, to be excited, to entertained, be on the edge of my seat watching the drama unfold.

At the moment, this is the first time in around 20 years I've consider giving up my season ticket, because frankly it dull, boring and predictable. 

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I go to football too, forget about this rest of life, to be excited, to entertained, be on the edge of my seat watching the drama unfold.

At the moment, this is the first time in around 20 years I've consider giving up my season ticket, because frankly it dull, boring and predictable. 

You're saying this is the worse we have played in 20 years?? wow

• Like 1

Just now, goose2010 said:

To be fair, started going down in 92 at 14, had a break when Micky Adams left, for none footballing reasons, namely small children Came back at the start of the League One season as children than old enough to come along, so missed the very poor Craig Levein to Ian Holloway Era.

Last time I felt like this was end of Pete Taylor first season in charge. Puel has far better pedigree, so hopefully he can turn it around, but for me the signs aren't good.

I think he has lost the players already..... 

11 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

You could argue this is the most comfortable we have looked in possession of the ball for twenty years 

once we have mastered that then add back in the quick tempo and counter when possible and you have a pretty potent style .......

of course this manager may not be the one to see it though but the change is necessary 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So you don't remember Levein, Kelly, Megson and Holloway being in charge then?

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

What? You clearly missed the days of signing Danny Tiatto and De Vries......jesus. Give the guy a chance to get his own players in and make transitional changes to how he wants to play and then say something. 

Imagine if he doesn't do badly. Imagine if we consistently get from 7th to 13th in the Premier League. But the football isn't exciting (and it doesn't become exciting after he makes all his changes in players, style and methodology). We'll be where we always wanted to be. And miserable.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2