Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

15 hours ago, norwichfox said:

Well done to whoever was involved, but to have a measurement of how well the transfer window has gone there must be some outgoings (other than academy/u23 loans)....or we need a bigger bench and a bottomless pit of money for wages bill.

The inevitable Mahrez sale will cover a lot of the costs. £100k+ wages and transfer fee will cover most of what we spend this window plus whatever the owners earmarked for transfers aside from that sale. If we loan out Musa and a few others, we’ll be paying a chunk of their wages but it’ll still release a large amount for other players wages. The ones we want rid of won’t be here forever even if we don’t manage to move them on permanently in this window. 

The Thais won’t make a hash of it on the financial front that’s for sure. 

12 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

That's my only little issue about the window so far. I would like to see at least a couple of the squad being sold.

Sadly you cannot sell what no one wants to buy.

Worst case scenario lets hope we can get a few out on loan.

It's sickening to think we spent about £65m on Slimani, Benalouane, Musa and Mendy and in today's climate we'll struggle to even move them on for a loss. No one apparently wants to buy and all the interest is loans. 

Hopefully we've changed our policy about bringing players in on a whim without due diligence as I'm convinced three of those four were Ranieri signings and him being placated because of the title win. I wouldn't be surprised to see all four of those see out their contracts here after various loans.

It just goes to show the importance of doing everything to get every signing right. We'll then find it easy to generate cash in the transfer market as if you buy right, you don't worry about selling until the right deal is presented. We've spent €180m in the two years  after winning the title and not including this one and only Ndidi and Maguire can be said to have definitely improved the first team.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

I'm exited by the signings... even evans will bring experuence and atritude to our squad.... great value.

I would line to see more players in with proven pl experience... it always a risk when players try to get used to it.

C'mon... lets get rondon in to have another type of club in our golf bag

9 hours ago, Gerard said:

It's sickening to think we spent about £65m on Slimani, Benalouane, Musa and Mendy and in today's climate we'll struggle to even move them on for a loss. No one apparently wants to buy and all the interest is loans. 

Hopefully we've changed our policy about bringing players in on a whim without due diligence as I'm convinced three of those four were Ranieri signings and him being placated because of the title win. I wouldn't be surprised to see all four of those see out their contracts here after various loans.

It just goes to show the importance of doing everything to get every signing right. We'll then find it easy to generate cash in the transfer market as if you buy right, you don't worry about selling until the right deal is presented. We've spent €180m in the two years  after winning the title and not including this one and only Ndidi and Maguire can be said to have definitely improved the first team.

Great post..

6 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Is Claude moonlighting as manager of Nigeria? 

67% possesion in the first half. 

No shots on target. 

Proceed to absolutely smash Iceland 2-0 after a masterful second half.

Okay.

• Haha 3

I’d imagine Musa will be sought after this summer after the WC; could free up £ and space for another player or a marquee signing.

Puel will definitely have a busy second half of this transfer window.

Edited by UPinCarolina

23 hours ago, Gerard said:

Slimani and Benny were decent, since they had an undeniable contribution to LCFC's success in the champions league. They've justified their values as far as I'm concerned.

Just now, Redouane said:

Slimani and Benny were decent, since they had an undeniable contribution to LCFC's success in the champions league. They've justified their values as far as I'm concerned.

Don't see that one Red ... 

On 22/06/2018 at 00:12, Gerard said:

Mr G,

Of late I’m in agreement with almost all of your comments;this one though I’m far from convinced of its veracity.

Slimani and Musa were

lined up a long time before we actually bought them, by Steve Walsh.

Many posters on here seem to have a disgraceful lack of respect for our Claudio, and they don’t need any more ammunition that is, I think, wide of the mark. ?

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Mr G,

Of late I’m in agreement with almost all of your comments;this one though I’m far from convinced of its veracity.

Slimani and Musa were

lined up a long time before we actually bought them, by Steve Walsh.

Many posters on here seem to have a disgraceful lack of respect for our Claudio, and they don’t need any more ammunition that is, I think, wide of the mark. ?

I think the point is that Walsh didn’t seem to value them as highly as the amount we ended up paying 

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I think the point is that Walsh didn’t seem to value them as highly as the amount we ended up paying 

Thing is, no one was going to sell cheap to a premier league club who had Just won the league. It was inevitable. Either over pay and have a chance to holding on, or don't reinvest and risk losing it all. 

• Like 1

Ranieri clearly stated on two occasions that he was just a coach and didn't have anything to do with the purchase of players,  though he surely must have known about Mendy because he'd worked with him. Mendy though had been looked at to some degree even before Kante. For all his successes, the much revered Walsh also bought a load of dross and has seemingly carried on weaving his magic at Everton where he's not overly popular. It's easy to blame managers like Ranieri or even Koeman but there's one common denominator here.

On 21/06/2018 at 08:18, SheppyFox said:

The success we’re having in this window is brilliant, down to CP I think :) 

Let's see how the signings actually perform before we get too excited! I remember thinking we'd had a good window when we bought Slimani, Mendy, Musa, Benny etc

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I wonder what contingency planning we have in place?

I've heard we have an ex manager plodding along in the Belgian league, the equivalent of a spare pen in the drawer.

Not many other teams got another manager tucked away who has worked with most if the players.

Ps. Don't want this. Just the first thing that popped into my head on reading this (I have no filter)

On 16/06/2018 at 22:55, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Ranieri will always be a hero for 15/16. Sadly he lost the plot big time in 16/17.

The performances under Puel were consistently a lot worse than under Ranieri (second season)

Can't agree with that at all. I think the period mentioned is some of the worst football I've seen from us (and yes I did see 2004-2008) and even more galling considering the squad it came from.

• Like 1

That is a truly harrowing point. Absolutely staggering that we did such a u-turn on our ability to get value for money.

I do however think that this summer so far we've done well. I think Maddison's upside is enormous.

• Like 2

On 22/06/2018 at 23:38, Redouane said:

You can't be serious.