Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Well, what do we have here...? Comparing apples to oranges, by pitting a well-paid, highly international job that depends on proper communication skills against a regular one-week vacation where most people spend their time at the pool or in the bathroom. 

And it‘s not as if Puel hasn‘t had more than a year to prep up, looking at his time at Southampton and the high-pressure jobless period leading up to last fall...

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

still love the irony of people who can only speak one language and most likely end up shouting 'CHIPS' and 'BEER' at foreigners in their own countries when on holiday; have the ****ing balls to call out Puel on his ability to speak English. 

try getting off your arse and undergoing the challenge of working in a high pressure job in a different country whilst learning the language. don't fancy it? didn't think so... 

Can see both sides of the argument here. On the one hand, @lifted*fox is correct that we are incredibly hypocritical as a nation not to mention embarrassing  in complaining that people can't speak English, even when abroad in a foreign country lol when the average Joe in England couldn't have a basic exchange in any language other than our mother tongue.

However as @MC Prussian  - who from what I can gather is probably multi lingual (correct me if wrong) - says, if to do your job successfully you need to be able to speak a foreign language well, and in a football managers case it is, both to communicate with players colleagues and the press, you should damn sure make sure you can.

Basically, people mocking his English can grow up and take a look at themselves in the mirror, but as LCFC fans we are entitled to expect our manager to be able to learn English properly as for him to not do so is likely to affect how well the team perform.

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

If Puel is good at his job, then the fact that he is not fluent in the English language, is irrelevant.

I am one of the most annoyingly liberal, lefty twats on here and I jump on anything I think looks racist, mean, etc because I have little to no life but even I have to state that speaking the language of most people within your workplace has to be a bonus.  I agree that it has no impact on his skills but it must make life easier to communicate his ideas.  I would not expect to go and work abroad and just speak English and carry round a little fella to translate for me.  I like Puel a lot and have backed him from the start but I think an improvement in his level of spoken English can only be a good thing for him and the team.  X

His English seems to be improving. It is better than my French and probably most people on here don't even have a second language so criticise I cannot.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

I could not care less if he was to communicate via mime, so long as we win and play entertaining football, what I do not want is to return to the turgid borefest before the final couple of games of last season.

Play well and win games = no room for complaining.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

He seems to have mastered the words quality and intensity.... 

As opposed to qualité and intensité. Gone the extra mile there lol.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Let’s be honest, if he was winning football matches in style, he could be talking mandarin and no one would care.

Are exotic fruits on the banned substance list?

59 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Let’s be honest, if he was winning football matches in style, he could be talking mandarin and no one would care.

Whilst that is true, all people are pointing out is that in order to achieve this good communication with his players is essential so that he can get his ideas across.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

59 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People were mocking him for that since the beginning even when he had superb results.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yks said:

People were mocking him for that since the beginning even when he had superb results.

When and where?

The only two "superb" results with Leicester so far that I can think of that we produced in his early spell with us last season were the 4-1 thrashing of Southampton away before the turn of the new year, plus beating Spurs at home 2-1.

Everything else that followed was.... eurgh. Up until the Arsenal home win right at the end of the campaign.

I think one key distinction that most of us seem to forget is that an interview is entirely different to coaching. Training is more demonstrative and you've got more time to explain something.

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

When and where?

The only two "superb" results with Leicester so far that I can think of that we produced in his early spell with us last season were the 4-1 thrashing of Southampton away before the turn of the new year, plus beating Spurs at home 2-1.

Everything else that followed was.... eurgh. Up until the Arsenal home win right at the end of the campaign.

IDK, when some people were wondering if LFCF could finish 5th or 6th with their current form after they started the season very close to the relegation line ?

Edited by yks

12 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

If Puel is good at his job, then the fact that he is not fluent in the English language, is irrelevant.

True - look what Jock Wallace did for this Club!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Yeah, that high pressure job that pays a lot of money, maybe try a high pressure job where the moneys not so good and if you cant learn the language in a country you choose to work in, no sympathy :P

I would think his command of the English is more than adequate for everyday work and personal use. Difficulties may arise when speaking to the media where he knows that the unintentional wrong choice of words, though meant in an innocent way, could be mischievously used against him by our pathetic self-seeking newspaper hacks . This part of his job, compared to others, is the least important and mere icing on the cake. How many times now days do we hear individuals in life that have all the right sound bites ie certain politicians and some football managers that are absolute fraudsters when it comes to the main purpose of their roles?

His 'supposed' lack of knowledge of the English language is overstressed for me, usually by individuals who are in the Puel out brigade with their own online agendas. There are far more important attributes requisite of a football manager/coach. As the new season is about to dawn why don't we just get behind the bloke and let's see where we are by Christmas commensurate with the performance of our players and realistic ambitions. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
Spelling mistake.

4 hours ago, yks said:

IDK, when some people were wondering if LFCF could finish 5th or 6th with their current form after they started the season very close to the relegation line ?

He took over when we were 13th. And we were still early into the season, there‘s no way to predict we would‘ve done worse without Puel.

From my perspective, he doesn‘t come across as somebody who can express himself clearly enough in English, I think he‘s got a lot of room for improvement there still.

His monotone and sometimes even unintelligible voice and way of speaking don‘t help, either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

When and where?

There were more good results and performances than that surely?  Everton was decent off the top of my head.  Didnt we win something like 5 on the trot?

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

There were more good results and performances than that surely?  Everton was decent off the top of my head.  Didnt we win something like 5 on the trot?

Add to that the fact we looked abysmal before he came in.  I am hoping we can at least get behind him but some folk seem to like to fear the worst.  He may succeed, he may not but I would at least like to give him a chance.  X

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

The point here was how many of those you‘d consider „superb“...

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The point here was how many of those you‘d consider „superb“...

To be honest I cant remember, but I do remember the Everton game being a good watch along with the other 2 mentioned.  I'm sure there was a decent spell where we were an enjoyable side to watch and commentators were banging on about the style of play and that we were better than when we won the title (hyperbole, I know)

And also taking into account @RumbleFox's point above also

And remember, the wheels didnt really come off this until the Mahrez issue.  A lot to be said for team spirit over a long season

With Mahrez leaving and the new guys who have come in and with more to follow, I think we will be quite a different side next season and its difficult to predict how we'll be

36 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Add to that the fact we looked abysmal before he came in.  I am hoping we can at least get behind him but some folk seem to like to fear the worst.  He may succeed, he may not but I would at least like to give him a chance.  X

Abysmal is stretching it. We lost against Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool, and that by a maximum of two goals. Only one manager I know would‘ve done better with that heavy schedule.:pearson:

In addition to that, how come people (purposefully) omit the Swansea away win under Appleton when they speak of our start to last season before Puel arrived?

We were that early into the campaign, there was no way to predict where we were heading.

Edited by MC Prussian

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Abysmal is stretching it. We lost against Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool, and that by a maximum of two goals. Only one manager I know would‘ve done better with that heavy schedule.:pearson:

Ha, and at the time I was one saying give Shakespeare more time but I do feel some people are being too harsh on Puel.  As I said, he may or may not be a success but he has had a full pre season now, he has brought in some of his own targets and he is the Leicester City manager so we may as well try and be positive.  If he doesn't work then fair enough but so many people on here seem to be wanting him to fail so they can say "I told you so".  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Ha, and at the time I was one saying give Shakespeare more time but I do feel some people are being too harsh on Puel.  As I said, he may or may not be a success but he has had a full pre season now, he has brought in some of his own targets and he is the Leicester City manager so we may as well try and be positive.  If he doesn't work then fair enough but so many people on here seem to be wanting him to fail so they can say "I told you so".  

Nothing new there, and that holds some truth for both sides of the argument.

Love, MCP

xoxo

• Haha 1