Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The one where we should have scored 3 and spent an entire half in their box? Yeah

Yeah, the one game where we should've won, but didn't - only scraping by thanks to a late moment of genius.

Imagine if we had lost that match...

Just tying in nicely with our recent struggles against Bournemouth.

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Yeah, the one game where we should've won, but didn't - only scraping by thanks to a late moment of genius.

Imagine if we had lost that match...

Just tying in nicely with our recent struggles against Bournemouth.

There's a difference between being the better side and not winning, and being awful and getting off the hook

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

There's a difference between being the better side and not winning, and being awful and getting off the hook

Not that much, the outcome is the same - you're not winning in both cases.

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

In terms of whether it's a positive sign for the future though... Under Puel we struggled to kill teams off, under Shakespeare we were never in the game.

In a nutshell.

47 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

In terms of whether it's a positive sign for the future though... Under Puel we struggled to kill teams off, under Shakespeare we were never in the game.

In any case, a progress in terms of playing style is/was necessary. A different approach to games, and the sense that we finally see a unit on the pitch again.

What's not helping Puel this time (and watch me making an excuse for him), is that we're on the brink of losing a few established players, plus Mahrez. It will feel like an almost completely new beginning/new squad, should players like Schmeichel and more decide to leave in the next two weeks, as well.

11 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I'm not saying nothing.

We both want the lads to do well Sharpy, we just both know it ain't gonna happen under a manager who actively coaches the team to not score goals.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

We both want the lads to do well Sharpy, we just both know it ain't gonna happen under a manager who actively coaches the team to not score goals.

Havn't you heard? Entertainment at the football isn't allowed anymore. You have to be a happy clapper and watch the car crash slowly and ponderously happen.

• Like 1

Can't believe how so many on here are optimistic for the new season. Even with the excellent signing of Evans and the brilliant signing of Maddison we will struggle in every game and will be just awful to watch. Without Puel: 6th or 7th - with Puel: 17th or 18th. The man cannot motivate himself - let alone the team or the fans - Mr. Uninspirational.

Shame - could go places with the current squad.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Can't believe how so many on here are optimistic for the new season. Even with the excellent signing of Evans and the brilliant signing of Maddison we will struggle in every game and will be just awful to watch. Without Puel: 6th or 7th - with Puel: 17th or 18th. The man cannot motivate himself - let alone the team or the fans - Mr. Uninspirational.

FT Expert™. Made my day.

Anyone thinking that we can reach 6-7th with this squad is utterly deluded.

Edited by That_Dude

14 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

In all fairness I agree with you here. Maybe not as low as 17th or 18th but if we do well it will be in spite of Puel not because of him 

• Like 1

What does Puel have to do this season to be deemed a success? If anyone is 'expecting' a challenge for the top 6 then they more than likely going to be disappointed. People going to be happy with a top 10 finish? I feel like he's almost in a job he can't really win unless something special happens.

Obviously the standard of football needs to improve as a priority and hopefully that brings positive results.

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

What does Puel have to do this season to be deemed a success? If anyone is 'expecting' a challenge for the top 6 then they more than likely going to be disappointed. People going to be happy with a top 10 finish? I feel like he's almost in a job he can't really win unless something special happens.

Obviously the standard of football needs to improve as a priority and hopefully that brings positive results.

He could get top 4 and people would hate him. "Yea we came top 4 but we didnt score 4 a game and he isnt a silly billy in interviews"

• Like 2

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

We lost a player who despite his tantrums, depression and whatever, was a major contributor to our goal threat..

Maddison is a gamble, Gray has yet to prove himself, Diabaté is still rough, Nacho blows hot and cold, Silva is an unknown. The whole team is in the (re)build phase.

We're going to be hit and miss A LOT before things start to click, if they click. How can people think about top 6 is beyond me. 

You have to be consistently good and have a couple world class players to expect challenge the top 6. How is that going to happen this season, unless we have a miracle transfer window?

Watch people wanting Puel out after three games. Or less.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

When we were struggling last season we were told that it was because he didn't have a pre season or his own players. Now he has a preseason, we've spent a bit on players(with probably a bit more to come) and he's even got another coach in and got rid of Appleton. The bare minimum we should expect for this season is a higher place and more points.

• Like 1

Top 10 is success. We've lost someone who had a handed in about 30 plus of our goals last season. The squad's evolving and other teams have invested a lot. Last season the target should have been 7th but this season I'd like looking at 10th. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Forget positions for a minute.

Obviously we want to finish as high as possible.

What Puel has to do to be deemed a success is show us a winning, exciting brand of football. Then we can look at and assess an expected league position from then.

Where we finished last season I admit wasn’t bad - although we did throw it away abit and finished lower that we could and should have, but again, for a minute forget the league position we finished, it was dire, boring football we played.

I always used to say winning was the most important thing, then you work on the style but we weren’t even winning games either.

One thing I can say that goes in his favour is that all expectations due to him and last season have been lowered.

I dont think many people are expecting anything except boring football. 

The ball is in his court. Impress and prove us wrong.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

I think progression should always be the aim so yeah higher than 9th    and more points should be the target. We could find ourselves in the position where we get more points but finish in the same place or lower, given the nature of last season. 

Overall i I want to see us to try to play good football where possible but also grind out points when needed. We are going to have shit days, going to have a run of bad games, we are not good enough not to. Just hope the good days happen more often. 

Really unsure how this season will go, can see it going well but also wouldn’t be surprised if it went very very badly. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Top 10 is success. We've lost someone who had a handed in about 30 plus of our goals last season. The squad's evolving and other teams have invested a lot. Last season the target should have been 7th but this season I'd like looking at 10th. 

That may feel like success to you , I'd bet that our owners wouldn't feel the same way, its the nature of the beast.