Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Danny Drinkwater: Would you re-sign him?

Would you resign Danny Drinkwater?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like us to re-sign Danny Drinkwater?

• Yes
    • No

He's a very clever player on the pitch, I remember when RDL used to go down the wing from RB and Drinkwater always used to hang back incase we were hit on the break and if we did lose the ball he made sure he'd cover the space left behind by the RB.

Also used to play some very good through balls to vards and in general I felt he was a good, hardworking CM.

If the price was right (preferably no more than £15m, £20m at a push) I'd like him back. I don't think we're desperate for him but i think we could benefit from him.

21 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

He isn't 'top class' is he? Anyway, I wouldn't want us to spend £10m + on a fourth choice CM. Also, it would mean hamza wouldn't be able to get himself on the bench & would most likely have to be loaned out. 

Depends what u consider a ‘top class’ central midfielder to be? If it’s someone that’s an individual who has a YouTube real of tricks, flicks & wonderstrikes than no he’s not but if it’s someone that works his socks off for the team, does the dirty work, keeps possession & makes everything tick then he most definitely is. This season was a write off but the season we won the title he was one of the best in the league and more than held his own at Champions league level also.

£10m in today’s market for a player of his quality would be a steal!

As for Hamza, it would be better for his development to have a season out on loan to the Championship where he’d get maximum game time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

Depends what u consider a ‘top class’ central midfielder to be? If it’s someone that’s an individual who has a YouTube real of tricks, flicks & wonderstrikes than no he’s not but if it’s someone that works his socks off for the team, does the dirty work, keeps possession & makes everything tick then he most definitely is. This season was a write off but the season we won the title he was one of the best in the league and more than held his own at Champions league level also.

£10m in today’s market for a player of his quality would be a steal!

As for Hamza, it would be better for his development to have a season out on loan to the Championship where he’d get maximum game time.

Pretty sure we could get Joe Allen or Mark noble for half as much.

If he'd cost £10m and would take roughly the same wages he was on before he signed that big contract with us (30-40k ish) then I'd be all for it. As long as he knows he isn't first choice and not to kick up a fuss when he's on the bench. I suspect he wants first team football anyway, which means he won't end up here. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

If he'd cost £10m and would take roughly the same wages he was on before he signed that big contract with us (30-40k ish) then I'd be all for it. As long as he knows he isn't first choice and not to kick up a fuss when he's on the bench. I suspect he wants first team football anyway, which means he won't end up here. 

The mouthwatering prospect of Joe Allen or Mark Noble playing for Leicester! ??

2 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

The mouthwatering prospect of Joe Allen or Mark Noble playing for Leicester! ??

Exactly. Let's be ambitious and sign some Overrated British midfielder who runs about and gets stuck in. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

Joe Allen or Mark Noble?!?! That’s a wind up surely! We might as well just get Kingy back.

We were all disappointed and pissed off in the way Drinky left & it definitely left a bitter taste but I think those emotions are clouding people’s judgement.

Drinky was one of the first names on the team sheet when he was with us and an integral part to our success so I don’t get all this talk of him being just a fringe player if he returned?

We’ve signed Silva & Iborra as replacements and there’s no doubting their quality but they haven’t exactly set the World alight & neither of them have shown the consistency of what Drinky did. If he hadn’t of left would u honestly put them ahead of him?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Albert said:

Joe Allen or Mark Noble?!?! That’s a wind up surely! We might as well just get Kingy back.

We were all disappointed and pissed off in the way Drinky left & it definitely left a bitter taste but I think those emotions are clouding people’s judgement.

Drinky was one of the first names on the team sheet when he was with us and an integral part to our success so I don’t get all this talk of him being just a fringe player if he returned?

We’ve signed Silva & Iborra as replacements and there’s no doubting their quality but they haven’t exactly set the World alight & neither of them have shown the consistency of what Drinky did. If he hadn’t of left would u honestly put them ahead of him?

I agree with you on the clouding judgement part, i was bitter when he left. Him coming back into the fold having played so little though could disrupt Silva & Iborra, I think we’ll see the best of both of them next year, we haven’t yet :) 

17 minutes ago, Albert said:

Drinkwater was very inconsistent in the 16/17 season. I wasn't bitter when Drinkwater left, I felt it was the correct thing for all parties. Drinkwater was awful in pre season, constantly trying that over the top ball to Vardy which was incredibly annoying and usually resulted in a loss of possssion. I wanted us to sign a central midfielder who was able to keep the ball ticking rather than constantly giving it back to the opposition. Even if Drinkwater had stayed - I'd have had Iborra-Ndidi as my first choice. 

• Like 4

Drinkwater was very inconsistent in the 16/17 season. I wasn't bitter when Drinkwater left, I felt it was the correct thing for all parties. Drinkwater was awful in pre season, constantly trying that over the top ball to Vardy which was incredibly annoying and usually resulted in a loss of possssion. I wanted us to sign a central midfielder who was able to keep the ball ticking rather than constantly giving it back to the opposition. Even if Drinkwater had stayed - I'd have had Iborra-Ndidi as my first choice. 

He wasn’t the only one though was he. Everyone was pretty inconsistent at that time. 

Throughout the time he was with us he always kept the ball, rarely gave it away and was pretty much the conductor of the orchestra!

I like Iborra, he clearly has pedigree and is very classy but for me he’s not shown the consistency or reliability that Drinky did. 

Just now, Albert said:

He wasn’t the only one though was he. Everyone was pretty inconsistent at that time. 

Throughout the time he was with us he always kept the ball, rarely gave it away and was pretty much the conductor of the orchestra!

I like Iborra, he clearly has pedigree and is very classy but for me he’s not shown the consistency or reliability that Drinky did. 

Would a club like ours find it hard to sign someone like Lewis Cook from Bournemouth?

I think this lad would be a longer term option than Drinkwater who could actually turn out to be better for our style of play. Not on Chelsea tier wages yet but I haven't seen anyone go in and get anyone from Bournemouth, it seems average Prem clubs can hold others off if the buyers arent right up there but I'd be pulling the plugs out to nab Cook. Just like to know your perspective

5 minutes ago, SpazticChicken said:

Would a club like ours find it hard to sign someone like Lewis Cook from Bournemouth?

I think this lad would be a longer term option than Drinkwater who could actually turn out to be better for our style of play. Not on Chelsea tier wages yet but I haven't seen anyone go in and get anyone from Bournemouth, it seems average Prem clubs can hold others off if the buyers arent right up there but I'd be pulling the plugs out to nab Cook. Just like to know your perspective

The transfer fee between the clubs would no doubt be an issue as they would obviously want top dollar but the salary & package for the player wouldn’t be a issue. Apart from the obvious big guns we are pretty much at the top of the next tier down. Maguire for example was on his way to Spurs until we trumped them on wages

I think the best compliment you could give Drinky is that at Leicester even in his own inconsistent performance periods he does bring the best out of his teammates. I don’t think Wilf has ever looked better than when paired with Drinky. 

i really am amazed we have this topic. The way he seemingly feigned injury and then couldnt wait to be telling the world on social media that he had been waiting ages to get out of our club. 3rd. he isnt that good. perhaps why Chelsea have ignored him most of the season

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think the best compliment you could give Drinky is that at Leicester even in his own inconsistent performance periods he does bring the best out of his teammates. I don’t think Wilf has ever looked better than when paired with Drinky. 

I’m not sure about that. We signed Wilf in January of last season, which is around the time Drinkwater had shifted from being our best player at the beginning of the season, to routinely serving up some serious tripe. Think you’re romanticising mate. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Nigel Graham Pearson said:

I’m not sure about that. We signed Wilf in January of last season, which is around the time Drinkwater had shifted from being our best player at the beginning of the season, to routinely serving up some serious tripe. Think you’re romanticising mate. 

Has Wilf ever played at Leicester then his initial six months? 

10 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

DD was spotted by my daughter catching a train in Surbiton yesterday bound for the midlands. I wonder where he was going!

** pedant alert **

Can you get a train from Surbiton to the midlands (without changing)? 

I used to live that way (back in the steam era) and Surbiton trains went Waterloo - South Coast, maybe to Reading... just wondered like...

4 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

** pedant alert **

Can you get a train from Surbiton to the midlands (without changing)? 

I used to live that way (back in the steam era) and Surbiton trains went Waterloo - South Coast, maybe to Reading... just wondered like...

You can't 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

19 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

DD was spotted by my daughter catching a train in Surbiton yesterday bound for the midlands. I wonder where he was going!?. He ran off before she could ask him.

Blimey, a train from Surbiton to the midlands, I wonder if he made it or if it derailed at the end of the line at Waterloo..... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Katy said:

If you’re going to make stuff up, at least make it convincing ?

27 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Nahhhh, much more interesting to see them get sussed.....

lol dangerous coming on to an internet forum and testing people with too much time on their hands about their train knowledge! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3