Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Danny Drinkwater: Would you re-sign him?

Would you resign Danny Drinkwater?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like us to re-sign Danny Drinkwater?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Other than Wilf, have any of them shown any kind of consistent form? Quite honestly I'd happily get of 4 of those and get another option in.

I agree.  But I would try to aim higher than DD for a replacement.

On 30/05/2018 at 10:39, Ian Nacho said:

In all fairness, Mahrez is different class compared to Drinkwater. 

I think we can all agree that Mahrez is the more skillful player but I think people are re-writing history regarding Drinky. He was as important to winning the title as Mahrez  - if Drinky had been injured we'd have been left with Kingy in his place, unlikely to have won the title then and I'd say that Drinky was even more crucial to the team than Mahrez when we won the championship though he was pretty shit in the year in between.

2 hours ago, FIF said:

I think we can all agree that Mahrez is the more skillful player but I think people are re-writing history regarding Drinky. He was as important to winning the title as Mahrez  - if Drinky had been injured we'd have been left with Kingy in his place, unlikely to have won the title then and I'd say that Drinky was even more crucial to the team than Mahrez when we won the championship though he was pretty shit in the year in between.

Drinky was great for us but I was more going off that Mahrez is actually capable of playing at that level whereas I'm not too sure with Drinkwater.

On 04/06/2018 at 10:16, murphy said:

We already have six midfielders competing for that single spot next to Wilf - Iborra, Silva, King, James, Mendy and Choudury

Iborra - rumoured with a move back to Spain

Silva - curious to find out whether we‘ll see the true Adrien next season

King - will he still be here comes the start of the new season or have joined a team like Cardiff?

James - sadly a permanent sick note, unspecified return date

Mendy - bench player at Nice mostly

Choudhury - bench player for next season

So where exactly don‘t we have the need for at least one more central midfielder?

I think Drinkwater‘s better than some have been saying in this thread and he‘s also been unfortunate with injuries at Chelsea.

He likes it here, would join familiar surroundings. Also another player for the homegrown quota.

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

King - will he still be here comes the start of the new season or have joined a team like Cardiff?

So where exactly don‘t we have the need for at least one more central midfielder?

I think Drinkwater‘s better than some have been saying in this thread and he‘s also been unfortunate with injuries at Chelsea.

He likes it here, would join familiar surroundings. Also another player for the homegrown quota.

That's a lot of ifs and maybes. 

There's also  Amartey.  I forgot him.

So as it stands 7 competing for one spot. 

Puel's system requires 2 holding mids, so if we did ship some out and bring one in, DD does not really fit that mould.

6 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Would Chelsea really be willing to sell at a huge loss? Would Drinkwater be willing to come back, tail between legs?

Doubtful. Not this early. I think a January move or next summer is the earliest her will accept a move away 

What has he done in the last two seasons to justify us re-signing him. He's either consistently out of form or injured. Another reason I wouldn't want him is that it's a terrible idea to bring back one of the old boys club when that's the thing which has been holding us back since we won the league.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Drinkwater isn't any better than the players you've named. He's never fit either. I'd expect us to get a higher quality of player if we were to sign another CM.

7 hours ago, murphy said:

That's a lot of ifs and maybes. 

There's also  Amartey.  I forgot him.

So as it stands 7 competing for one spot. 

Puel's system requires 2 holding mids, so if we did ship some out and bring one in, DD does not really fit that mould.

It's not up to seven players competing for one spot. Some of the will (have to) go in the summer - either on a permanent or on loan, others are doubtful (no idea for how long James will still be out for; will Amartey ever play in central midfield again?).

Drinkwater has the experience others lack and currently, I'd rank him ahead of King, James, Choudhury and Amartey.

There's no proof he can't cut it any longer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wizerud said:

What has he done in the last two seasons to justify us re-signing him. He's either consistently out of form or injured. Another reason I wouldn't want him is that it's a terrible idea to bring back one of the old boys club when that's the thing which has been holding us back since we won the league.

There's no argument against bringing back former players, especially when we know what they can do (when fit). Drinkwater would also be available at a fraction of what Chelsea paid for him and he's in his footballing prime. It's not as if we'd be re-signing Steve Guppy at age 34 or Paul Dickov at age 36.

Why not rejuvenate his career where it all came to fruition?

• Like 2

Really didn't like the way he jumped ship. Maybe if we can get him on a free and he'll accept minimum wage, he could occupy a bench slot when all other options are exhausted, other than that it's a big no from me.

30 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

It's not up to seven players competing for one spot. Some of the will (have to) go in the summer - either on a permanent or on loan, others are doubtful (no idea for how long James will still be out for; will Amartey ever play in central midfield again?).

Drinkwater has the experience others lack and currently, I'd rank him ahead of King, James, Choudhury and Amartey.

Like I said - As it stands, 7 competing for one spot.

I agree that some will have to go, the trouble is, we need buyers who are not exactly queueing round the block.

13 minutes ago, murphy said:

Like I said - As it stands, 7 competing for one spot.

I agree that some will have to go, the trouble is, we need buyers who are not exactly queueing round the block.

That we don't know and we've got until early August to finalize deals. 

Had Drinkwater not being here before, imagine he won the Premier League with Everton/Southampton etc, moved to Chelsea and then we signed him after not getting much game time. It would be seen as a massive signing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Drinkwater isn't any better than the players you've named. He's never fit either. I'd expect us to get a higher quality of player if we were to sign another CM.

Drinkwater is an upgrade on most of our midfielders. He has had a few injuries yes but that's what you get from not player regularly

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

There are loads of doubts about Drinkwater and he'll be expensive and on high wages. He's been constantly injured for 18 months.

If we 're looking at bringing in a player in that position I'd rather we do an Evans or Pereira and bring in a player who'll be a huge upgrade who will be highly motivated to do well. Drinkwater coming back would be like a 50yo  man leaving his wife for a young bit of 25yo totty and coming back to something safe after she dumps him for a man her own age.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Drinkwater is an upgrade on most of our midfielders. He has had a few injuries yes but that's what you get from not player regularly

I'd have Iborra, silva & Ndidi over Drinkwater & James out perfomed in the few pre season games. If we could get him for less than £10m ish and he'd take less than 50k p/w then he'd be worth it as a rotation player but anymore than that and it isn't worth it IMO. 

He got his head turned and fell for it, a lot of players do it. He must have been pretty deluded to have thought he wouldn’t get further than the bench at Chelsea - that or he didn’t care and was happy to claim his extorniate wage every week not playing. I’m less forgiving than some, I didn’t appreciate the way he ‘broke his neck’ to leave us so I don’t want him back. I loved him when he played for us so him leaving like that hurt, he can go and cup his ear to another set of fans now.