Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Ricardo Pereira

End of the day, the last really quick right backs we've had were Ritchie De Laet and before that, I can only really think of Kerrea Gilbert. To have an overlapping attacking right back will be immense. It's clear that Pereira is quick and can dribble, but in all honesty, it would still be a huge benefit to our style of play if we could get a technically gifted RB, like Trippier to come. Chilwell and Fuchs both offer a threat down the left and whether it be through pace or quality delivery, help down the right will soothe the creative loss of Mahrez. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Gut feeling says we’ll open the window with a bang and get some spending done early. Nothing quite like showing some intent.

Don't hold your breath.

Seriously though, this feels like the way we need to go about it. Get the signings done early and bring back some positive feeling.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Don't know why you harp about Ndidi's tackling stats as if they're something to praise, considering the fact the amount of times he loses the ball before in order for him to win it back... by tackling.

The lad has talent, but needs to show consistency and has to work on his ball control.

Tackles per game as a number means nothing to me - you need to see Pereira play in order to put it into context. Also, Liga NOS isn't renowned for quality attackers outside the Top Four (Porto, Sporting, Braga, Benfica), so opposition tends to be weak(er). Look at this season's table - 14 out of 18 teams have a negative goal difference! lol

lol lol lol Look at this seasons table 14 out of 20 teams have a negative goal difference lol lol lol so your point is the premier league is just as shite lol 

7 minutes ago, sylofox said:

lol lol lol Look at this seasons table 14 out of 20 teams have a negative goal difference lol lol lol so your point is the premier league is just as shite lol 

The Portuguese league has been dominated by four teams only for a long time now, whereas this past Premier League season and the table have been skewed by Manchester City's rampant 100-points effort.

Otherwise, it'd look much more even and with less teams on a negative goal difference.

15 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Gut feeling says we’ll open the window with a bang and get some spending done early. Nothing quite like showing some intent.

I hope they do a cringe-worthy video to announce it him and the new kit at the same time.

Can't say our last two signings from the same league have been a roaring success and I'd be more than a little sceptical of the high supposed price tag. Not worth a penny over  £15. Would sooner take a risk on somebody from our lower leagues, there must be someone. We pay very decent wages and I think the Bundesliga is a very untapped source with a pace and aggressiveness not too disimilar to ours. Sounds more like a failed winger/midfielder turned wingback to me, a Portuguese DeLaet. 

6 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

While it's a bit rich - it's just over half the Walker fee, it's nowhere near really.

Couldn't agree more......on here what we think is a lot of money clearly is relatively small beer for bigger clubs.....yes we are spending more, but then so is everyone else.....and a lot more than we are.......on what basis is he "not worth a penny over £15m ?" how often have we seen the bloke play......

33 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Can't say our last two signings from the same league have been a roaring success and I'd be more than a little sceptical of the high supposed price tag. Not worth a penny over  £15. Would sooner take a risk on somebody from our lower leagues, there must be someone. We pay very decent wages and I think the Bundesliga is a very untapped source with a pace and aggressiveness not too disimilar to ours. Sounds more like a failed winger/midfielder turned wingback to me, a Portuguese DeLaet. 

Wayyyyy too early to say on Silva. Perhaps right on Slimani who has so much potential in this league but was never suited to us and how we play. 

Either way that's no reason to write off other players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Just because they've not been a success for us yet doesn't mean they aren't Premier League quality players. I'm absolutely convinced that Slimani would get 15-20 goals a season playing in the right team at this level, and I think Silva will be quality next year after a full pre season. Most players that have been brought to the Premier League from Portugal have been decent at this level at the very least to be fair. 

Also De Laet was a failed centre back turned full back, not a winger. 

Edited by 4everfox

55 minutes ago, StanSP said:

apparently he's been offered a big new contract by Porto in the hope that he stays but the player is adamant on leaving. much like the Mahrez situation for us. 

That wasn't the narrative unless they are now doing this to try and justify the fee they want

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

apparently he's been offered a big new contract by Porto in the hope that he stays but the player is adamant on leaving. much like the Mahrez situation for us. 

Do you know how much, I'd imagine no more than £40k a week? IIRC Adrien Silva was on £17k a week at Sporting, they won't compete with PL clubs.

They'll want him on a long contract so they have the whip hand in negotiations for his next transfer, they're over a bit of a barrel at the moment with a player who can leave on a Bosman in a year. They're probably annoyed that they'll have to sell him a bit on the cheap this summer.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't mind spending big on full-backs. I think they can totally transform a team. I've changed my opinion on this in recent years.

I also think strikers are overpriced.

It's massive for me in modern football for any team that wants to dominate the opposition. I remember going Spurs away when we won the title and they looked like they were playing an extra man against us as the two full backs hugged the touchline and played like wingers most of the match as we struggled to contain them and they disrupted our narrow formation.

With two centre halves and a holding midfielder we can attack with seven players against teams that sit in if we had Chilwell and Pereira and cause all sorts of problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Do you know how much, I'd imagine no more than £40k a week? IIRC Adrien Silva was on £17k a week at Sporting, they won't compete with PL clubs.

They'll want him on a long contract so they have the whip hand in negotiations for his next transfer, they're over a bit of a barrel at the moment with a player who can leave on a Bosman in a year. They're probably annoyed that they'll have to sell him a bit on the cheap this summer.

not sure on figures. I didn't know Silva was on such little money to be honest!

It's in the player's hands. He doesn't want to be at Porto any more so I doubt he'll accept this new contract offer. I personally think he's good enough for a side in the top 5 leagues who play in/compete for Europe. I'm surprised there's not more clamour to sign him from other big/bigger clubs. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

not sure on figures. I didn't know Silva was on such little money to be honest!

It's in the player's hands. He doesn't want to be at Porto any more so I doubt he'll accept this new contract offer. I personally think he's good enough for a side in the top 5 leagues who play in/compete for Europe. I'm surprised there's not more clamour to sign him from other big/bigger clubs. 

He's been linked with Spurs and Juventus in the past. Rated 10th best right back in the world by 442 magazine and Puel knows him inside out from his Nice days. There is hardly a negative to pick out this potential transfer and is probably the best right back in the world who is obtainable for us. Even the most of pessimistic fans can't really moan about this transfer. 

Just now, Gerard said:

He's been linked with Spurs and Juventus in the past. Rated 10th best right back in the world by 442 magazine and Puel knows him inside out from his Nice days. There is hardly a negative to pick out this potential transfer and is probably the best right back in the world who is obtainable for us. Even the most of pessimistic fans can't really moan about this transfer. 

oh they'll find a way lol 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wayyyyy too early to say on Silva. Perhaps right on Slimani who has so much potential in this league but was never suited to us and how we play. 

Either way that's no reason to write off other players. 

But neither of them were worth anywhere near what we paid for them at the age they were, it was a huge risk. Pereira at 24yrs would at least have time to adapt I suppose. Yet he's only had one half decent season just gone, previously out on loan or smaller clubs. Do we not have other prospects for half the price of the  £22m bandied about or are we just obsessed by the exotic? He doesn't seem to have proved himself for that amount of asking fee, let's hope we're not using the same scouting methods as we did for the hapless Musa.

2 hours ago, 4everfox said:

Just because they've not been a success for us yet doesn't mean they aren't Premier League quality players. I'm absolutely convinced that Slimani would get 15-20 goals a season playing in the right team at this level, and I think Silva will be quality next year after a full pre season. Most players that have been brought to the Premier League from Portugal have been decent at this level at the very least to be fair. 

Also De Laet was a failed centre back turned full back, not a winger. 

But even a blind man would know Slimani wouldn't worked here, we don't play his way and we have Vardy. He's a confirmed 9 not a 10. Let's hope having possibly been behind the Maguire and Diabate deals that Macia is a bit better than the last incumbents. It's a lot of money for an unproven right back.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

But even a blind man would know Slimani wouldn't worked here, we don't play his way and we have Vardy. He's a confirmed 9 not a 10. Let's hope having possibly been behind the Maguire and Diabate deals that Macia is a bit better than the last incumbents. It's a lot of money for an unproven right back.

Enough with the Slimani hate.

He has a better goal scoring and assist record per min for us this season than Mahrez.

The problem for Slimani isn't skill but injuries. He has basically been injured since before he arrived.