Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

I know you weren't being totally serious, but...

On the one hand, he'd absolutely spark some energy into the players that weve been sorely missing, lately. He's looked a bit worn down by the high pressure of the big clubs lately, so stepping down a level to us could interest him.

On the other hand, when he's winning his arrogance is justified, but when he's in a rut he's the most intolerable tosspot in the league. At a club like ours where victories don't come as easily as at his previous appointments that could be a recipe for disaster, and could potentially ruin the club from the inside out.

Won't happen anyway as his wage demands will be 5x what we'd be prepared to offer.

Excuse me?  Have you seen any evidence of that at United?

He's had them playing dross football.  I dont see them with any particularly high energy or good attitude.  He's made them terrible and he has man managed awfully.

Done a faaaaaaaaaaar worse job than Puel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Murkle Man said:

Even in sacking Mourinho and appointing Carrick the lack of planning by the club is dreadful. If they had sacked him and immediately appointed Zidane/Jardim etc they could have at least pretended to have a plan. This seems like the ultimate knee jerk of getting outplayed by Liverpool and panicking into a decision of sacking Mourinho to keep face with their fans. Carrick may turn out to be a tactical genius and I'll have to eat my words but I highly doubt it will happen, lets hope not anyway!

I'd imagine it's a case of get rid now before the clown asks us to back him in January with shit purchases.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'd imagine it's a case of get rid now before the clown asks us to back him in January with shit purchases.

I'm sure you're right, it just seems like a club of United's stature would have a better plan in place. I suppose this almost epitomizes the state of the club currently. I'm not complaining, long may this period of madness continue!

When statistics don't tell the whole story.

Mourinho's record at United

Manager Games played Won Drawn Lost Goals for Goals against Win %
Jose Mourinho 144 84 32 28 243 117 58.33%
Alex Ferguson 1,500 895 338 267 2,769 1,365 59.67%
David Moyes 51 27 9 15 86 54 52.94%
Louis van Gaal 103 54 25 24 158 98 52.43%

26 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Excuse me?  Have you seen any evidence of that at United?

He's had them playing dross football.  I dont see them with any particularly high energy or good attitude.  He's made them terrible and he has man managed awfully.

Done a faaaaaaaaaaar worse job than Puel

He's not been able to do it with the united squad, no, but he's the kind of person who riles people up (both good or bad) and if we brought him in, the sheer contrast between him and Puel would have an energising effect (although possibly short-lived).

Doesn't matter though, it'd be a terrible appointment long-term (for many other reasons) and it'd never happen anyway.

Amazed it took that long to sack him to be honest, not only was it bad on the pitch but he was starting to seriously embarrass the club off it with his bizarre behaviour.

12 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

When statistics don't tell the whole story.

Mourinho's record at United

Manager Games played Won Drawn Lost Goals for Goals against Win %
Jose Mourinho 144 84 32 28 243 117 58.33%
Alex Ferguson 1,500 895 338 267 2,769 1,365 59.67%
David Moyes 51 27 9 15 86 54 52.94%
Louis van Gaal 103 54 25 24 158 98 52.43%

You can't compare it to the Ferguson era either, back then 2pts a game over a season was sometimes enough to win the league as there was more of a level playing field between the teams - nowadays Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City blow everyone else out the water with the financial power they have now.

Only real comparison now on his record should be against Klopp and Guardiola.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Amazed it took that long to sack him to be honest, not only was it bad on the pitch but he was starting to seriously embarrass the club off it with his bizarre behaviour.

You can't compare it to the Ferguson era either, back then 2pts a game over a season was sometimes enough to win the league as there was more of a level playing field between the teams - nowadays Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City blow everyone else out the water with the financial power they have now.

Only real comparison now on his record should be against Klopp and Guardiola.

I wasn't

I was merely pointing out that the statistics, on all counts, were very similar, albeit divided by 10 as Ferguson had 1500 games.and Mourinho nearly 150.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Murkle Man said:

Even in sacking Mourinho and appointing Carrick the lack of planning by the club is dreadful. If they had sacked him and immediately appointed Zidane/Jardim etc they could have at least pretended to have a plan. This seems like the ultimate knee jerk of getting outplayed by Liverpool and panicking into a decision of sacking Mourinho to keep face with their fans. Carrick may turn out to be a tactical genius and I'll have to eat my words but I highly doubt it will happen, lets hope not anyway!

It's guesswork entirely but my personal assumption is:

They've been planning to replace Mourinho for the last two or three months, they've lined up someone (eg Poch) that is in a job and won't move til the summer and they were expecting to finish the season with Mourinho doing damage control. 

But I reckon the dressing room finally snapped after he turned on them again after the Liverpool game and a couple of senior players have gone to the board. 

They probably think they can still creep in to the top four with a surge, can still maybe get to the next round of the CL and might be able to offset the cost of sacking him now if they do. 

Say what you want about United, their player recruitment might be based off some awful decision making but I'm not share its fair to paint them as a chaotic shambles of a club. 

I think that's largely just the Mourinho circus effect tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Can see the new manager being from a 'BAME' background, so reckon it'll be Zidane.

Zidane is French Wymes (with some family roots in Algeria), that's not black, Asian or ethnic minority.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Haha 2

It's a shame to see the shell that is now Mourinho.  As much as he has always been and arse and I am not sure I have ever "liked" him he was certainly a character and certainly a top, top class manager.  He just seems to have become void of anything other than bitterness and anger.  What an earth has happened to him?  Part of me feels he would do better these days at a less fashionable, smaller club where he can truly play the "us against the world" narrative with a chance of it actually working.  He should have strutted into Utd, said he and they were the best in the world and just gone for it.  Will be interesting to see what he does next.  X