Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/18/jose-mourinho-exits-old-trafford-manchester-united-sack-manager

Club and coach split with United 19 points off first place 
• Portuguese coach was made manager in May 2016
Guardian sport

Tue 18 Dec 2018 09.50 GMT Last modified on Tue 18 Dec 2018 10.01 GMT
Manchester United have sacked José Mourinho following Sunday’s defeat at Liverpool, ending a tenure that began in May 2016.

A poor start to the Premier League season has seen United slip 19 points behind the leaders, Liverpool, and fall off the pace in the hunt for a top-four place. They have won only once in six league matches, drawing during that sequence with struggling Southampton and Crystal Palace.

Even a José Mourinho gripped by defensive dogma was better than this
Jonathan Wilson
Jonathan Wilson
 Read more
The club issued a statement on Tuesday morning which read: “Manchester United announces that manager Jose Mourinho has left the club with immediate effect.

The club would like to thank Jose for his work during his time at Manchester United and to wish him success in the future.

A new caretaker manager will be appointed until the end of the current season, while the club conducts a thorough recruitment process for a new, full-time manager. “

Relations between the manager and the executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, also seemed strained after the club did not sign a central defender this summer. The club concluded that of the players in that position targeted by Mourinho whom they could potentially land, none was an upgrade on the existing squad.

A sense of disunity at United was encapsulated when Mourinho stripped Pogba of the vice-captaincy before a Carabao Cup defeat by Derby County and confronted him at training the following morning. The manager has criticised his players’ “mental approach”, attitude and quality.

Mourinho has seemed less than happy since the buildup to the season, when he described preparations as “very bad” because many of his senior players were resting after the World Cup.

The manager demanded “respect, respect, respect” for his three Premier League titles following United’s 3-0 home defeat by Tottenham in late August but will not get a chance to add a fourth at Old Trafford.

In two full seasons at Old Trafford, Mourinho won the Europa League and League Cup (2016-17) before finishing second in the Premier League last season and reaching the FA Cup final. In that period since replacing Louis van Gaal, United’s spending stands at £364.3m on eight buys.

Zinedine Zidane, available following his surprise decision to resign his position at Real Madrid following their Champions League success over Liverpool in May, has been linked with the United job.

• Like 1

Even in sacking Mourinho and appointing Carrick the lack of planning by the club is dreadful. If they had sacked him and immediately appointed Zidane/Jardim etc they could have at least pretended to have a plan. This seems like the ultimate knee jerk of getting outplayed by Liverpool and panicking into a decision of sacking Mourinho to keep face with their fans. Carrick may turn out to be a tactical genius and I'll have to eat my words but I highly doubt it will happen, lets hope not anyway!

2 minutes ago, The Murkle Man said:

Even in sacking Mourinho and appointing Carrick the lack of planning by the club is dreadful. If they had sacked him and immediately appointed Zidane/Jardim etc they could have at least pretended to have a plan. This seems like the ultimate knee jerk of getting outplayed by Liverpool and panicking into a decision of sacking Mourinho to keep face with their fans. Carrick may turn out to be a tactical genius and I'll have to eat my words but I highly doubt it will happen, lets hope not anyway!

Who cares? 

But it will be FaF if they slip right down the table. 

3 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Doesn’t matter who they get in, a lot of players need clearing out and replacing. Are they willing to do that? 

Similar job to us in a way; a lot of aging stars combined with those who simple aren't good enough that need to be moved on. A lot of behind the scenes stuff that will take time, it's just whether the successor gets the time 

56 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Interesting to see who they go for at this stage. Zidane or it will be a temp until the summer I imagine.

Part of me wants to see Mourinho take on a club like ours and see what he does. Jose in lol 

I know you weren't being totally serious, but...

On the one hand, he'd absolutely spark some energy into the players that weve been sorely missing, lately. He's looked a bit worn down by the high pressure of the big clubs lately, so stepping down a level to us could interest him.

On the other hand, when he's winning his arrogance is justified, but when he's in a rut he's the most intolerable tosspot in the league. At a club like ours where victories don't come as easily as at his previous appointments that could be a recipe for disaster, and could potentially ruin the club from the inside out.

Won't happen anyway as his wage demands will be 5x what we'd be prepared to offer.