Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

12 minutes ago, The Bear said:

What a deterrent!! 

People in glass houses mate. We can’t complain after our antics, and you’re methods last year weren’t exactly squeaky clean were they?

Congrats on the promotion though. I work the odd day in Wolves and it’s good to see them buzzing with the promotion and the great season you had.

• Like 1

You at least tried to get round it by other means. Bournemouth just said ahh **** it, if we go up it doesn't matter. Which essentially is what the message of that fine is.

We did nothing wrong last season. We wouldn't have failed FFP even if we didn't go up. We'd have had to reign in our spending this season, and maybe one of our players would have left to help balance the books. We definitely gambled, but not to the point of overstepping the rules. 

At least we have Villa as a cautionary tale to other clubs at the minute I guess. That's more down to their owner/manager combo than anything though. 

Edited by The Bear

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You at least tried to get round it by other means. Bournemouth just said ahh **** it, if we go up it doesn't matter. Which essentially is what the message of that fine is.

We did nothing wrong last season. We wouldn't have failed FFP even if we didn't go up. We'd have had to reign in our spending this season, and maybe one of our players would have left to help balance the books. We definitely gambled, but not to the point of overstepping the rules. 

At least we have Villa as a cautionary tale to other clubs at the minute I guess. That's more down to their owner/manager combo than anything though. 

I wasn’t referring to your finances. A lot of clubs felt that your agent getting his players on loan was stretching the rules to the limit, if not overstepping them. 

Again, nothing we can can crow about with OH Leuven and our work there.

• Like 1

But again, all of that was cleared by the EFL. Twice. The PL have no problem with it either judging by us getting our official league status at the annual PL meeting. 

Other Championship clubs complaining was just them being bitter that our owners were cleverer and had a better plan than them. Look at Forest this season trying exactly the same. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

But again, all of that was cleared by the EFL. Twice. The PL have no problem with it either judging by us getting our official league status at the annual PL meeting. 

Other Championship clubs complaining was just them being bitter that our owners were cleverer and had a better plan than them. Look at Forest this season trying exactly the same. 

Yeah I know. All fair points. I guess what I was trying to say from the outset is that we’ve all been good at slipping off hooks and finding loopholes etc. ?

• Like 1

This is nothing against "the bear" as I read his posts with interest

But why do fans of other clubs, like that Burnley fan that comes on here, choose our forum to regularly post in?

Do they have accounts with all the teams in the Premier League and regularly post on all of them??

33 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You boys seem confident you've not breached FFP but with little knowledge it surprises me where the money to buy Costa and Neves for best part of £25m has come from when your parachute payments ran out. Did you sell some players I've forgotten about?

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It's a fair question.

I post on here because I like talking with other fans and seeing different opinions and perspectives to my own club and theirs as well. And I'm sure other Leicester fans who wouldn't ever go on a Wolves board find out stuff about us they normally wouldn't. If they're not interested I'm sure they'll skip past it. And I only talk about us in this thread anyway. The other non-football parts of the site is just because I'm usually bored! 

It's just another message board ultimately. As long as you're not here to deliberately provoke arguments then it should all be dandy no matter who you support. 

Also, admit it, it's a bloody good forum :D 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You boys seem confident you've not breached FFP but with little knowledge it surprises me where the money to buy Costa and Neves for best part of £25m has come from when your parachute payments ran out. Did you sell some players I've forgotten about?

Without wanting to go over it all again, after the 15/16 season we had operated at a £7m profit thanks to our previous owners. That gave our new owners three seasons of spending before reaching the £39m loss allowed. 

Costa (£13m) + Neves (£15.8m) were purchased in separate seasons for accounting purposes (Costa Jan '17, Neves Jul '17). Several players last season were on loan with an option to buy (Boly, Jota, Afobe, N'Diaye). This also helps with the spending. The first three have since been made permanent for £35m (this season's accounts though) and in Afobe's case sold on for a couple of £m profit. 

We sold players last season for more than we thought we'd get too. Reading paid us £3m for Bodvarsson! 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Without wanting to go over it all again, after the 15/16 season we had operated at a £7m profit thanks to our previous owners. That gave our new owners three seasons of spending before reaching the £39m loss allowed. 

Costa (£13m) + Neves (£15.8m) were purchased in separate seasons for accounting purposes (Costa Jan '17, Neves Jul '17). Several players last season were on loan with an option to buy (Boly, Jota, Afobe, N'Diaye). This also helps with the spending. The first three have since been made permanent for £35m (this season's accounts though) and in Afobe's case sold on for a couple of £m profit. 

We sold players last season for more than we thought we'd get too. Reading paid us £3m for Bodvarsson! 

Fair enough, I was just surprised because we got done for FFP having spent only £500,000 in transfers for the whole of 2013/14 and not that much in the year before, but it just shows the massive gamble we must have taken when we appointed Sven and blew a shit load. Pearson came back and was cutting costs left, right and centre.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fair enough, I was just surprised because we got done for FFP having spent only £500,000 in transfers for the whole of 2013/14 and not that much in the year before, but it just shows the massive gamble we must have taken when we appointed Sven and blew a shit load. Pearson came back and was cutting costs left, right and centre.

What a job Nige did... managed to cut costs whilst putting together a side who would go onto absolutely smash the top two tiers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

I think people know that what you did was within the rules, when we got promoted after going in to administration we broke no rules, when Watford went up after abusing their parent / feeder clubs they broke no rules. 

The question was less the legality and more the ethics of it. 

The rules were changed after we went up, the fa should take a look at the growing influence of agents and really be asking themselves some difficult questions. 

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

FFP rules were different before we went up and were far stricter. Piece of piss to get around them now.

• Like 1

What deterrent can you give, though? Borunemouth, or most clubs now, will comfortably pay any fine off. You'd have to start looking into points deductions, stopping transfers and the like to really hit a club that has been promoted and have the resources to cope with fines.

12 hours ago, PhillippaT said:

Note: the fantasy football section is up for the new season on the premier league site.  I've never done this before!  Are we having a fantasy football section?  (I dunno what I'm doing :P )

There'll probably be a league set up in the General Football subforum in the next few weeks. Think @StanSP usually sets it up.