Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Aberdeen fans complaining that the draw is "rigged" and that they have been given a harder path to reach the 3rd qualifying round than Rangers and Hibernian who both finished below them in the league.

lol

That's probably not much of a boast when Hibs got a team that finished third in the Faroe Islands and Rangers got one that finished fourth in Macedonia. 

You'd back Rotherham to beat both. 

Aberdeen is not the most glamorous place to go, but the alternatives were not really much better.

In our part of the draw, we could have been sent to Armenia, Bosnia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Bulgaria, Cyprus (the dangerous Turkish part) or Albania. Also, there was an outside chance of going to Andorra or San Marino but those two minnows are unlikely to get past the first round.

So I think the best we could have got was Bulgaria - a trip to Albania would have been a nightmare  (they say it's still like the Middle Ages in rural Albania with dirt tracks for roads).

Edited by lancyclaret

Bloody hell Burnley really do live behind the times

’Cyprus (the dangerous Turkish part)’ 

Well first of all it’s safe enough to go on holiday there and there hasn't been any conflict for twenty years. 

Northern Cypriot teams dont play in the league system, so you’d have to play at worse in Nicosia 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lancyclaret said:

Famagusta (Turkish part...still can be passport problems if a person has ever visited Greece or Greek islands)

Famagusta is the name of the club but they don't play in the Northern part of Cyprus since 1986. Third line of their wikipedia entry says 'Originally based in Famagusta, the club is now based in Larnaca'

The likes of Rangers have played them in recent years and taken thousands over there hence why I know this. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

- a trip to Albania would have been like a home game  (they say it's still like the Middle Ages in rural Albania with dirt tracks for roads).

Fixed it for you.

@lancyclaret:

No point in complaining about the opposition in the qualifying stages. As Finnegan has already pointed out, Albania is a lovely country with fantastic sights and sounds and a gorgeous coastline rather untouched by Western European tourists. It's a relatively safe country, friendly people everywhere and everything is pretty much dirt cheap.

Other than that, same could be said about Armenia. The only club in competition is from Yerevan - I don't have to tell you what a historically rich and relevant and great place that city is. It's very Western and full of culture to be seen outside of the football stadium. Also, the weather at this point of the year will be very hot, so it's not like you're stuck in 18 degrees centigrade weather with rain or winter conditions.

Also, Sarajevo is a beautiful city! And a trip to little Liechtenstein would mean you could enjoy the mountainy area in Graubünden, Switzerland or a drive up the motorway to splendid Lake Constanze or hop across the other border and enjoy cheap Austrian beer or drive to Tyrolia, which isn't far off.

I don't know about your standards, but these are more than just decent options!

Btw, the Europa League final is played in Baku, Azerbaijan... :D

• Thanks 1

@The Bear:

Seeing that it hasn't been confirmed officially, but it seems like your club are competing in the Uhrencup in Switzerland this summer (July 10th - 14th):

http://uhrencup.ch

Matches against Young Boys, Basel and/or Feyenoord.

Games to be played in Biel/Bienne and Berne. PM me if you fancy visiting and need travel advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

@The Bear:

Seeing that it hasn't been confirmed officially, but it seems like your club are competing in the Uhrencup in Switzerland this summer (July 10th - 14th):

http://uhrencup.ch

Matches against Young Boys, Basel and/or Feyenoord.

Games to be played in Biel/Bienne and Berne. PM me if you fancy visiting and need travel advice.

It was announced a couple of months ago on our website. 

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/first-team/20180517-wolves-travel-to-switzerland-for-uhrencup/

Tickets went on sale two weeks ago. 

FC Basel 
Date: Tuesday 10th July 6pm CET 
Venue: Tissot-Arena, Biel
Terrace: £20
Seating: £28

BSC Young Boys 
Date: Saturday 14th July 3pm CET 
Venue: Berner Stadion Neufeld 
Terrace: £20

I won't be going myself though, but cheers for the offer. 

Not a glamorous european tour at all but its an easier draw.  Aberdeen are shite. Lower championship- league 1 level so burnley should fancy their chances to move on to the next round where hopefully for their fans sake they get a nice getaway.

Goodluck to them.

7 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

Albania is a lovely place because all their gangsters/mafia are in London.:)

I love that you prove everyone's misconceptions about the North West to be utter nonsense by being worldly and open minded. 

The best thing about the Europa league is travelling for ****ing hours to Skopje to see your second string draw 0-0 in an 8,000 capacity ground with a running track 

My band was on tour once up north and we passed through Burnley. At a loose end we thought we'd go bowling, parked up and realised the rental van was probably worth more than the nearby properties and we promptly fvcked off back to the hotel in another town. We never bowled, and I don't regret that decision.