Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc sheff

Hamza Choudhury

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

As I've said before, he comes with a reputation of promoting from within. I don't know of a more comfortable time when you're team is safe from relegation to try a few of them. Choudhury played because there was literally nobody else available. Albrighton had been off form for a while and Barnes could and probably should of had a chance. He had the likes of Hughes, Ndukwu and Thomas on the bench at times and in games when we'd pretty much lost, he could have given them minutes but chose not to.

There'll be valid reasons why this occurred but it goes against his reputation as a manager who is very insistent on promoting youth players from the academy.

It wasn't comfortable at all, safe from relegation yes, but the uproar from the fans due to how we were playing and the pressure from them was immense. Had he started playing with the squad even more and results soured more or performances dropping further. 

Another point, however, is we've had an academy player coming through once every few years. There's been a fairly rapid rise in spending on the youth setup lately, there's quality there, just not ready yet. Puel has most likely been brought in to increase the frequency 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

It wasn't comfortable at all, safe from relegation yes, but the uproar from the fans due to how we were playing and the pressure from them was immense. Had he started playing with the squad even more and results soured more or performances dropping further. 

Another point, however, is we've had an academy player coming through once every few years. There's been a fairly rapid rise in spending on the youth setup lately, there's quality there, just not ready yet. Puel has most likely been brought in to increase the frequency 

I'll have to disagree with you there. We were on a poor run of results, if I was a manager and my players were letting me down then I'd give others a chance. This is a manager who has a track record of favouring academy players, it's surprised me but is more an indication of what he thinks of the academy here. I hope he's given a chance to have an input on improving it.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

As I've said before, he comes with a reputation of promoting from within. I don't know of a more comfortable time when you're team is safe from relegation to try a few of them. Choudhury played because there was literally nobody else available. Albrighton had been off form for a while and Barnes could and probably should of had a chance. He had the likes of Hughes, Ndukwu and Thomas on the bench at times and in games when we'd pretty much lost, he could have given them minutes but chose not to.

There'll be valid reasons why this occurred but it goes against his reputation as a manager who is very insistent on promoting youth players from the academy.

Possibly, but I've read before that Puel finds it easier to implement his vision and style with young players who are more adaptable. It was quite clear last season he was trying to evolve our squad with players unsuitable, who'd be replaced come this summer and I'm surprised he didn't look to the academy to see if some of the youngsters could have adapted to his style in the meantime.

100% we have recruited some superb young players, but that's been it. They've all come from outside the club and is that an indicament that the academy isn't up to scratch for Puel? He's always quite hands on at previous clubs with the running of the academy and I'd love to know his thoughts on ours. It's long been a gripe of mine that it's not been freshened up like pretty much the rest of this club has. Puel is taking us in a new direction and with a new state of the art training ground and expansion on it's way, should we place a large amount of focus on a source of producing talent in the academy. It's a no brainer.

As mentioned above, I'm raising the point that Puel has a very good track record of bringing through players from his clubs academy. When you scratch the surface he's brought very little through but that's not denying what he's doing with the recruitment of young players. I'm just merely pointing out the lack of progression of our academy which I've long wanted overhauling anyway. Would love to know if Puel wants changes too.

Our players aren't good enough at that age, it's as simple as that. It's nothing we didn't already know, Hamza wasn't even seen as a prospect until one decent game against 10 men. Before that he wasn't good enough for Burton. Clearly Barnes is highly rated by the club, but we needed a solution now for the 10 problem really and couldn't afford to take that chance of trying him. I'm sure he'll be closer to the setup next year when we lose Shinji. He'd have got more minutes last season, but sadly the lad was utter dirt against Fleetwood and that put pay to any chance of further minutes really.

Lets not forget, that youth team changes can take a decade to show through. Really we aren't going to see what changes the owners have made at that level reap the rewards for quite some time.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Our players aren't good enough at that age, it's as simple as that. It's nothing we didn't already know, Hamza wasn't even seen as a prospect until one decent game against 10 men. Before that he wasn't good enough for Burton. Clearly Barnes is highly rated by the club, but we needed a solution now for the 10 problem really and couldn't afford to take that chance of trying him. I'm sure he'll be closer to the setup next year when we lose Shinji. He'd have got more minutes last season, but sadly the lad was utter dirt against Fleetwood and that put pay to any chance of further minutes really.

Lets not forget, that youth team changes can take a decade to show through. Really we aren't going to see what changes the owners have made at that level reap the rewards for quite some time.

I suspect he'd like to make changes and I hope he is doing his utmost to do that, but I fear it's not his remit and he'd be told to focus on the task in hand.

I think we've managed to have some players come through in spite of our academy, Beaglehole and Rudkin have been there for years playing quite direct and physical football and it's no coincidence the players that have had the most success in their careers so far with us or elsewhere have been quite physical with the possible exception of King. Hopefully it's changing but what's the point in spending £80m on facilities is you're leaving the same blokes we had in charge 15 years ago? It's like Ferrari building the best F1 car they can and sticking Alain Prost in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for Choudhury. Mendy is made for Puel's team and is in startling form. And Ndidi is the best tackler in the league. Pity really since he's a better passer than Ndidi and a fine tackler. And as a youth player he's with one of the best managers in the game for his development. I think if we suffer an injury he could battle his way past either Silva, Iborra or both but at this stage in his career he needs to be playing regular Championship football or better since he's already somewhat proved himself in the Premier League. He's a real gem of a defensive midfielder but up against two of the best in the league currently not to mention two defensive midfield internationals: hoping for a first team injury doesn't seem the most sure fire way of developing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, les-tah said:

Hamza has the ability but he needs first team football somewhere like most players do to really show what hes got and develop his game into the mens league.

Agreed. My concern is that he'll go stale, and his development stalled, if his games are restricted to the U-23s.

On 03/09/2018 at 17:21, Stadt said:

I think we've managed to have some players come through in spite of our academy, Beaglehole and Rudkin have been there for years playing quite direct and physical football and it's no coincidence the players that have had the most success in their careers so far with us or elsewhere have been quite physical with the possible exception of King. Hopefully it's changing but what's the point in spending £80m on facilities is you're leaving the same blokes we had in charge 15 years ago? It's like Ferrari building the best F1 car they can and sticking Alain Prost in it.

Strange F1 analogy. You mean Alain Prost the 4 x world F1 Champion? Surely a top F1 car combined with a 4 xWorld Champ is the perfect combo?

He'll play every cup game for us, I imagine, and I imagine it's pretty close atm between him/Silva/Iborra for one/two bench spots.

If he's not consistently on the bench by January, then I imagine he'll be off on loan to a playoff-chasing Championship side or better (WBA to link up with Barnes, perhaps?). Either that, or we'll see the departure of Iborra or Silva to make room for him.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

He'll play every cup game for us, I imagine, and I imagine it's pretty close atm between him/Silva/Iborra for one/two bench spots.

If he's not consistently on the bench by January, then I imagine he'll be off on loan to a playoff-chasing Championship side or better (WBA to link up with Barnes, perhaps?). Either that, or we'll see the departure of Iborra or Silva to make room for him.

He didnt play against fleetwood though 

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

Strange F1 analogy. You mean Alain Prost the 4 x world F1 Champion? Surely a top F1 car combined with a 4 xWorld Champ is the perfect combo?

Think he means current day Prost rather than at his peak

He's obviously further away from the team then people here think he is. 

He struggled at Burton and came back  and came in for a few games when we had injury problems at the end of last season and did ok.

Now we have everyone back fit again he's miles away from the first 11.

Everyone says send him out on loan well it's simply not that easy.

It has to make sense for all parties demographically,

Most Lower leave clubs have very tight budgets and have to be sure they are allocating their wages the right way. He may not be on a lot in Leicester s budget but it's a fair chunk for a lower league club.

And there has to be clubs interested in taking him! 

He needs to keep his head down and do his thing and make it happen either here or at another club.

He's of that age now where he really should be playing I'm just not sure he will ever cut it at this standard.

4 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Alain Prost wouldn't be a very good racing driver today, he used to be.

I don't agree that he is miles away from the first team, I just think that with Mendy, N'didi, Iborra and Silva all fighting for 2 positions, so we are very well covered in the centre. He really isn't that much weaker than those 4 either and I believe could slot in nicely if ever required. I imagine if things stay the same, then he will get a loan move in January to an upper Championship club, as no point him being our 5th choice here. Injuries or suspensions may push him up the list though and there will be some cup games that I expect him to start or play a part in. Puel will be keen to use him wherever possible too

17 hours ago, Stadt said:

Alain Prost wouldn't be a very good racing driver today, he used to be.

You sure about that? I’m pretty sure that even after all these years after retirement a 4 x world champion who is still physically fit would still be a very good racing driver. 

3 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

You sure about that? I’m pretty sure that even after all these years after retirement a 4 x world champion who is still physically fit would still be a very good racing driver. 

In general terms but not in F1, that’s what i meant but we’re still talking about this? lol 

• Haha 1