Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Tunisia vs England - Monday 18th June 19:00

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Anyone worried about the first game.

We lose we're out.  This is a very good Tunisia who really play as a team, and recently have given Spain a real game, drew with Portugal, beat Costa rica.

There is no way that we wont score a couple, so unless our defence has a mare we should be fine.  I can see 3-1 England.

Edit, I also think we can get something against Belgium - we know their players very well, and Martinez is not a great manager.

Edited by Jon the Hat

On 12/06/2018 at 07:55, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yes, Italia '90 is slightly over-romanticised because of England's run and Gazza's tears. I think the average goals per match for the tournament of 2.21 is still a record low. For me, Mexico '86 just felt more colourful, exciting and exotic.

The music made it for me

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

There is no way that we wont score a couple, so unless our defence has a mare we should be fine.  I can see 3-1 England.

Edit, I also think we can get something against Belgium - we know their players very well, and Martinez is not a great manager.

Hope you're right, maybe it's the endless disappointments that has made me overly nervous.:)

On 13/06/2018 at 14:15, purpleronnie said:

Anyone worried about the first game.

We lose we're out.  This is a very good Tunisia who really play as a team, and recently have given Spain a real game, drew with Portugal, beat Costa rica.

Yes, I am. I'm generally pessimistic anyway but I simply can't understand why so many people are so dismissive of Tunisia. We have a history of struggling in these types of games even when we had stronger squads. 

On 13/06/2018 at 21:12, purpleronnie said:

Hope you're right, maybe it's the endless disappointments that has made me overly nervous.:)

I'm with you @purpleronnie. I've seen (and been guilty of) over confidence before with regards to England. I hope everyone predicting a simple qualification for the last 16 is right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

England’s provisional starting XI (3-3-2-2): Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire; Trippier, Henderson, Young; Lingard, Alli; Sterling, Kane.

say the Guardian.

Assuming Lingard is going to be playing narrow with Alli. That leaves us very light in the middle. Hopefully Tunisia don’t threaten too much because agaisnt a half decent team we’d be crucified with that line up. 

On 11/06/2018 at 15:05, stripeyfox said:

That match v Argentina was a classic. I remember when Campbell "scored" what probably would have been the winner but unfortunately it was (rightly) disallowed for Shearer's unnecessary elbow to the 'keepers throat.

I was still rolling around on the floor of the pub before we realised it hadn't been given.

I was 8, and I still remember that moment vividly. Sat in an outdoor bar in Corfu, everyone went mental- tables knocked over, beer everywhere, then a stunned confusion after about 10 seconds.

I'd have gone with something like this

Pickford

Cahill    Stones    Maquire    

Walker         Hendo                 Young

Ali                     Lingard

Kane       Vardy                 

7 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I'd have gone with something like this

Pickford

Cahill    Stones    Maquire    

Walker         Hendo                 Young

Ali                     Lingard

Kane       Vardy                 

Can't leave Sterling out.

Tunisia are a very good team, them or Senegal are probably best in Africa.  They are technically very good and direct in their attacks so counter attacking suits them down to the ground.  A lot of England fans will be in for a shock and moan about England after this game after underestimating Tunisia.

Reckon it'll be 1-1 which would be a decentish result.

Young as a left wing back is not acceptable for me, he'll be cutting in constantly like Albrighton but with no overlap at all. It'll be frustrating when we break down the left and end up clogging the middle of the pitch shortly after and allowing teams to get their shape back.

• Like 2

I'm predicting a tight 2-0 to England. expecting a similar performance to that of when we played Costa Rica. Boring, but grinding out a result. Then probably the same again against Panama.

But I can't see us beating Belgium, I know they haven't got a great track record in tournament football or a great manager but their team sheet rivals that of the favorites.

An early goal is what we need, even though it's not been a fool proof game plan for England verses mediocre opposition in recent years. I just think it would help them settle down and not run out of ideas as they get frustrated. Any win to start is essential for us.

Likely to be a sombre occasion/reminder of the event for those that lost their loved ones in the 2015 Tunisia terrorist attacks.

Football should bring everyone together - no matter what race, background, religious beliefs anyone who follows the game has.