Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

England v Belgium

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

He'll never get dropped ...   and quite rightly ...   I'm probably more p1ssed off cus nobody mentions Vardy !

Yeah, I do feel sorry for Vards - there's not a damn thing he can do, because the only way he's going to get a start is if they decide to rest Kane (which I'd be surprised about bearing in mind he's in the running for the golden boot, and Belgium are defensively vulnerable) or if he can't play for some reason. He's not even really the right option for the support striker role either, as so much of his game is playing on the shoulder of the last man.

Just one of those things - he needs to keep his chin up and be ready to take his chance when it comes - look at Geoff Hurst, for example...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Callabinho said:

Bit of a dead rubber, but I think both teams should field strong teams to gauge how good they actually are. Tunisia and Panama aren’t to strongest of opposition, so a heavy defeat for either side and the arses will start to twitch. I think England will lose, the two games have been a false reflection on how the team is actually playing, Belgium will have far too much coming forward for them, if they field the strongest 11. Both teams at full strength I’m going a 3-1 won for Belgium. 

They won't.

I'd rest the ones carrying knocks only. I don't think Kane should be risked.

The way they play it might be ideal for Vardy and Rashford.

Anyway they played well yesterday so confidence should be high, lets not blow it against Belgium.

Best of luck boys, remember I'm Welsh

As currently stands 2nd place would face Japan in the round of 16, and then the winner of Mexico - Switzerland.

1st place in the group would face Senegal (or Colombia) and then the winner of Brazil against Germany....

With advancing out of the group stage all but assured, you could rest your full starting XI and take a defeat to Belgium, but Southgate would get crucified by the media for capitulating. The physiological effect would more than make up for whatever scheduling benefits losing would provide.

So this is the ideal scenario: England fields a strong XI with a few changes to rest key players. The game is tied late (including total yellow cards). Southgate sends out Phil Jones in the last minutes of stoppage time to pick up a quick yellow card. Belgium top the group based on fair play, and England get to play weaker opponents through the first two knockout rounds.

17 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

we’ll know by the time we play but it’s currently looking like if we finish top (assuming we win our last 16 game) the quarter final will be germany or brazil, if we finish second (assuming we win our last 16 game) the quarter final will be switzerland or mexico. 

the next round will be much of a muchness, either senegal or colombia. 

If this correct... yep, thanks, lets finish second

On 25/06/2018 at 13:54, Detroit Blues said:

As currently stands 2nd place would face Japan in the round of 16, and then the winner of Mexico - Switzerland.

1st place in the group would face Senegal (or Colombia) and then the winner of Brazil against Germany....

With advancing out of the group stage all but assured, you could rest your full starting XI and take a defeat to Belgium, but Southgate would get crucified by the media for capitulating. The physiological effect would more than make up for whatever scheduling benefits losing would provide.

So this is the ideal scenario: England fields a strong XI with a few changes to rest key players. The game is tied late (including total yellow cards). Southgate sends out Phil Jones in the last minutes of stoppage time to pick up a quick yellow card. Belgium top the group based on fair play, and England get to play weaker opponents through the first two knockout rounds.

Will avoiding some of the big teams and getting knocked out when we meet them be an achievement? Are we just paying lip service to this WC and trying to progress as far as possible but don’t believe we can really challenge for it? 

If Southgate has any belief we can win the whole thing, he’ll send a team out to win on Thursday. To win it we’ll have to beat at least 2 top sides. This is what him and the players have been preparing for, surely they aren’t going to roll over and try to finish second. As a nation it’s not a trait we have, we should want to take every game to the opponent and I think Southgate will be too proud and professional to take the easy route. 

On 24/06/2018 at 23:04, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think we'll set up not to lose. Wouldn't surprise me if we play both Henderson and Dier for this one.

We'll want to stay unbeaten to keep the confidence high but I can't see us playing with much adventure.

Reckon Southgate and the boys would be delighted with a draw.

I would probably agree with this Muzz

:englandsmile4wf:

• Like 1

Would suit us to finish second in the group looking at that half of the draw.

Pretty sure that Southgate rings the changes, just hope that he drops Sterling. Think Alexander will get some time which is good for Vardy as he actually passes the ball to Vards. Probably Rashford will get the other starting spot, just hope he doesn't play too selfishly hoping to get a call up to replace Sterling in the games that matter. Alli probably gets some time which is of course bad news for Vards. Dier will probably replace Henderson which is bad news for everyone.

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

Would suit us to finish second in the group looking at that half of the draw.

Pretty sure that Southgate rings the changes, just hope that he drops Sterling. Think Alexander will get some time which is good for Vardy as he actually passes the ball to Vards. Probably Rashford will get the other starting spot, just hope he doesn't play too selfishly hoping to get a call up to replace Sterling in the games that matter. Alli probably gets some time which is of course bad news for Vards. Dier will probably replace Henderson which is bad news for everyone.

didnt southgate say he wasnt going to change much? i would expect alli to come in, which is a shame because ii think loftus cheek is better in the team aside from that im not expecting much more to change until half time

1 minute ago, Beliall said:

didnt southgate say he wasnt going to change much? i would expect alli to come in, which is a shame because ii think loftus cheek is better in the team aside from that im not expecting much more to change until half time

I only saw a short interview on BBC during the Nigeria game but I inferred that he was going to make changes to keep the fringe players game fit whilst resting his booked players.  Personally wasn't at all impressed with alli and haven't been for some time in an England shirt. Loftus cheek seems good (or at least to have potential) when he comes on as a sub for 20 minutes but when he starts I'm always under-impressed, including in the last game. 

I think we'll see trent alexander, cahill, Dier, Rose, Rashford and delph all starting - I just hope that Vardy also starts and we don't see Wellbeck at all.

Edited by Guest

Just now, FIF said:

I only saw a short interview on BBC during the Nigeria game but I inferred that he was going to make changes to keep the fringe players game fit whilst resting his booked players. 

yeah makes sense. but ii hope he doesnt upset the team too much. we havent played brilliantly yet and need to settle on a first 11

Guest MattP

Assuming the route stays similar it would be mental to try and win this game.

Could seriously be looking at either Switzerland/Mexico/Japan or Brazil/Colombia/Germany as the route to the QF.

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Could seriously be looking at either Switzerland/Mexico/Japan or Brazil/Colombia/Germany as the route to the QF.

Not to mention an extra days rest and the difference in temperature if we come 2nd. If we finish 2nd we win the whole tournament, I honestly believe it.

44 minutes ago, MattP said:

yep, however belgium are in prime position to finish second because we got carried away and battered panama. 

assuming the other groups end how they look like ending, we’re one good defensive performance vs spain (probably) away from the final, here.

or we go the other way and have to beat belgium, colombia, germany/brazil & france/argentina. good idea. 

Can't we do what I used to do when I got pissed off with PES, and just start nailing in 25 yard own goals?

FIFA have probably done more to swing the result of a game at some point.

Edited by RoboFox

6 hours ago, MattP said:

We haven't got to worry about Germany anymore and Brazil aren't through yet.