Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Colombia v England - last 16 round - 03/07 at 19:00ko

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Colombia didn't look at all comfortable today against Senegal's physicality. After looking the epitome of style and quality v. Poland, they looked ordinary today. Senegal should have won, but missed their chances.

Senegal were energetic and combative without being dirty, and repeatedly closed them down, allowing them little time on the ball to play their classy passing movements.

We should be able to learn from that - and are certainly capable of playing that way. The fact that we've just rested most of our 1st team should make a high energy game even more viable.

Eh, Colombia got going properly as news came through of Poland's goal and then looked the better side, suggesting it was more the pressure on them holding them back

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Eh, Colombia got going properly as news came through of Poland's goal and then looked the better side, suggesting it was more the pressure on them holding them back

Colombia improved second half, certainly after Senegal had dominated the first half - but they still created very little. 

Also possible that Senegal tired a bit second half after putting so much into the first.

Just checked the stats (though I know stats don't tell the whole story): 4 shots, 2 on target in the whole match (7 and 3 for Senegal).

Colombia are a classy passing side on their day (e.g. v. Poland) and a pleasure to watch when they're playing well, but can be disrupted and lack a cutting edge, I think (Falcao's best days are gone).

All opinions, anyway, and I could easily look stupid if they step it up in the last 16.

Edited by Alf Bentley

Colombia are so overrated. They can be decent on their day but looked awfully average against Senegal. Senegal controlled the game and Colombia were nulified pretty easily. England are superior to Senegal and will bury these lot. 

Depends which England turn up tbf. 

Confident and relaxed England, probably 1-0 or 2-1 England. 

If the pressure gets to them and they choke again then Colombia will punish them. 

England clearly favourites though, I'm sure you'll go through. 

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Just assuming for a minute that we get to the semis, who are we likely to get?

Spain, Croatia, Denmark, Russia. 

That's after Sweden or Switzerland. 

Much has been made of how easy your route is and it definitely is the kinder of the two but Spain and Croatia are obviously no mugs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

Spain, Croatia, Denmark, Russia. 

That's after Sweden or Switzerland. 

Much has been made of how easy your route is and it definitely is the kinder of the two but Spain and Croatia are obviously no mugs. 

Yeah but a semi final would be seen as overachieving I think. It'd be the furthest we've gone in a world cup in nearly 30 years.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Yeah but a semi final would be seen as overachieving I think. It'd be the furthest we've gone in a world cup in nearly 30 years.

Absolutely, sure. It'd be a great achievement. 

It's just three of your four potential semi finalists are the three top scoring teams in the tournament so far, outside of your group. 

So whilst the other half of the draw has all the big names, arguably your side has the form teams.

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Need to get yourself a big fvck off WC wall chat mate. It’s the only way I can keep track of what’s going on :D

• Haha 1

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Need to get yourself a big fvck off WC wall chat mate. It’s the only way I can keep track of what’s going on :D

There was a time when I was younger when I'd spend hours over one plotting our route to the final, never quite worked out for me :D

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The biggest worry is this game is on ITV and the last time we won a game in a World Cup on ITV is over 12 years ago, frightening.

That's mental.

Their World Cup theme is always a disappointment in comparison to BBC too. Plus 90+ minutes of Hoddle. Hello darkness my old friend. 

• Like 2

To be fair, the hubris is annoying me somewhat, but how can you not get seduced into looking forward when it's Colombia then Sweden/Switzerland in your path? 2006 we/would've had Ecuador/Portugal/France and 2010 it was Germany/Argentina/Spain. We've never had a path that, on paper, looks so promising.

I'm more worried by Sweden than I am by Colombia at the minute, and I think we'll have trouble against them! Pessimism rules in World Cup football for some people.

I cannot even begin to imagine the anticipation in the country if we were in a semi final, I have butterflies even imagining it, would be incredible.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The biggest worry is this game is on ITV and the last time we won a game in a World Cup on ITV is over 12 years ago, frightening.

It'll also mean I'll have to struggle through the shite ITV hub.

Edited by Amin

12 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

To be fair, the hubris is annoying me somewhat, but how can you not get seduced into looking forward when it's Colombia then Sweden/Switzerland in your path? 2006 we/would've had Ecuador/Portugal/France and 2010 it was Germany/Argentina/Spain. We've never had a path that, on paper, looks so promising.

I'm more worried by Sweden than I am by Colombia at the minute, and I think we'll have trouble against them! Pessimism rules in World Cup football for some people.

I cannot even begin to imagine the anticipation in the country if we were in a semi final, I have butterflies even imagining it, would be incredible.

Don’t think about Sweden. Remember the old maxim, one game at a time (Wes Morgan in 2015/2016). Colombia is anyone’s game, a coin toss, as far as I can see. The whole team need to be on it: not like last night’s, don’t get out of second gear show. If we do anything like that we’re coming home next Wednesday. we are lacking a decent creative number 10 like Eden Hazard. Lingard is the nearest we have, Alli has been off most of the season and Sterling, well I’m not convinced by him with his final ball/ shot. 

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Here yer go flower ..  fill yer boots ...    :)

IMG_0836.jpg

Personally I think too much is being made of the ‘route’ to the final.

If we beat Colombia, neither the Swiss nor Sweden are mugs. The Swiss have players who can change games, the Swedes are a very efficient, well organised side.

You just have to beat who’s in front of you.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Personally I think too much is being made of the ‘route’ to the final.

If we beat Colombia, neither the Swiss nor Sweden are mugs. The Swiss have players who can change games, the Swedes are a very efficient, well organised side.

You just have to beat who’s in front of you.

Possibly Col ...  but I think most people believe that Brazil are even less mugs than Switzerland or Sweden ..   :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

ChartShit.JPG.b385c8e529ef0ba055cc35be5566d54f.JPG          GetBanged.JPG.2baca51ce91ba49a67b23cac2986f3b3.JPG

Chart shit, get banged.