Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Colombia v England - last 16 round - 03/07 at 19:00ko

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Easy win

i usually refrain from posting such drivel but honestly I feel very confident re tonight

its ours the whole god damn thing is ours

I’ll take a slightly more pessimistic view if that’s ok?  I even thought we’d screw up our league title bid when it was mathematically impossible to do so. We are England. Best opportunity we’ve had since 1966. What could possibly go wrong?  EVERYTHING. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me this has been a great tournament, Some great games which are on at decent times. Fabulous stadiums and a distinct lack of beer swilling sunburnt "ingerland" nobheads all over the news. My sons, particularly my youngest (7) who has never shown any interest in football has really got into it - he absolutely loved the penalty shoot out the other night. Add to this the glorious weather and it all adds up to a brilliant tournament. I just dont' want it to end yet....

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

For me this has been a great tournament, Some great games which are on at decent times. Fabulous stadiums and a distinct lack of beer swilling sunburnt "ingerland" nobheads all over the news. My sons, particularly my youngest (7) who has never shown any interest in football has really got into it - he absolutely loved the penalty shoot out the other night. Add to this the glorious weather and it all adds up to a brilliant tournament. I just dont' want it to end yet....

Yes it has been exceptional for all the reasons you mention.

it'll be 8 years until we get the prospect of something similar so making the most of it!

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am excited.  If we play like we know we can, with confidence, then we can win.  I am going for 3-1 England.  Two set pieces and a blinder from Vardy off the bench to seal the win.

I hope you are right - but I can't see Southgate bringing Vardy on at 2-1.

I had very low expectations for England at the start of this WC. Now I have genuine hope and belief (enough to be crushed if it doesn't go well tonight).

55 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I hope you are right - but I can't see Southgate bringing Vardy on at 2-1.

I had very low expectations for England at the start of this WC. Now I have genuine hope and belief (enough to be crushed if it doesn't go well tonight).

Same here.

My head actually thinks we will have a bit too much for them but there's the doubt in my mind telling me we will be fall foul of the two things that have plagued England at major tournaments during my lifetime, either terrible luck or totally failing to turn up.....that said there is still plenty of time for that to happen and us beat Colombia so fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I’ll take a slightly more pessimistic view if that’s ok?  I even thought we’d screw up our league title bid when it was mathematically impossible to do so. We are England. Best opportunity we’ve had since 1966. What could possibly go wrong?  EVERYTHING. 

Or you think like that if that’s what makes you tick? I am usually more pessimistic and glass half empty when it comes to England however as our beautiful Premier League title win from 2 years ago proves anything is possible

England to win the World Cup. :englandsmile4wf:

7 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Same here.

My head actually thinks we will have a bit too much for them but there's the doubt in my mind telling me we will be fall foul of the two things that have plagued England at major tournaments during my lifetime, either terrible luck or totally failing to turn up.....that said there is still plenty of time for that to happen and us beat Colombia so fingers crossed. 

We so desperately need to score first and do it early. The longer this game goes on without an England goal, or worse still if Colombia score first, the more the inevitable pressure will rise on the pitch. 

I havent felt this level of anticipation for an England game for probably a decade. 

My hearts telling me not to worry its a done deal to the QF, my head is telling me to shut the fcuk up though. These previous R16 games have shown that absolutely anything can happen. 

Cant bloody wait!

no chance we aren’t winning tonight. come kick off i imagine this will be different but i don’t even feel particularly nervous right now. looking forward to seeing how bad sweden/switzerland ste and who we can batter in the quarters. 

• Like 1

The game tonight shows people can still get up for England, no matter how much they say they don't care about England and international football. It will probably be a let down but the buzz and the pre-match feeling is what football is all about.

45 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Or you think like that if that’s what makes you tick? I am usually more pessimistic and glass half empty when it comes to England however as our beautiful Premier League title win from 2 years ago proves anything is possible

England to win the World Cup. :englandsmile4wf:

No Mr. Weasel. Generally I am super optimistic in the face of glaring reality. However, having supported LCFC for so long and watched the abject failures of England in every major tournament since 1982, I am rightly pessimistic. Add to that the heart of this team being quite Spursey and I think many will understand where I’m coming from. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

No Mr. Weasel. Generally I am super optimistic in the face of glaring reality. However, having supported LCFC for so long and watched the abject failures of England in every major tournament since 1982, I am rightly pessimistic. Add to that the heart of this team being quite Spursey and I think many will understand where I’m coming from. 

Fair comment Mr Arm. :englandsmile4wf:

• Like 1

In regards to nerves you're probably all more nervous than usual it's because we don't actually have to beat anyone who is actually particularly good to get into a World Cup Semi Final and even then, good side the Croats are the Brazil side of 1970 they certainly are not, so a World Cup Final is no longer something to be scoffed or joked about it is a genuine possibility. If we had Brazil waiting in the wings for us I should imagine everyone would be a bit more relaxed knowing England would as always fail to beat anyone in the top 8 in the world at a major tournament. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You would be foolish to think this is just about us turning up and winning as long as we play well Bob. They are not short of good top level players.

No my god by nature I am the most pessimistic person you will ever meet, I mean married twice engaged 4 times 5 kids with 3 different “ladies” and got a massively stressful job that doesn’t cover the bills and I’ve supported Leicester for 40 plus years

i am just strangely relaxed on this one, have no nerves and feel no fear, it’s a strange feeling but I think (not expect) that we might just pull this one off

Colombia are a decent team but I think we will beat them