Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Colombia v England - last 16 round - 03/07 at 19:00ko

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

literally only just recovered from my hangover. Why the **** did I open the whiskey up after running out of beer?!

And that was just the round of 16. I might die if we progress further. 

Mine has been horrid, even cried at one point today. This is going to be a brutal next 10 days if we go all the way, I forgot the emotional rollercoaster from nearing glory like we had 2 years ago. It's amazing and harrowing in equal measure, bring it on.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TeePee said:

Harry Kane seems like a pretty difficult bloke to hate. He doesn't seem to go to the dark arts much, whenever he's interviewed he comes across as a fairly nice bloke who just wants to win football matches but understands it isn't the single most important thing in the entire universe, he actually delivers in an England shirt and seems to genuinely give a shit about playing for and leading his country...

I mean, for crying out loud, he's not even good-looking enough to hate him for that!

He isn't a difficult bloke to hate if you're a Leicester fan, I don't know how anyone on here can give him the time of day. Many other players have never been forgiven just for being crap, yet he was crap, didn't try, and acted like we still owed him something when in fact he'd been stealing a living from us whilst our season went to shit. All of a sudden he's some cockney hero scoring against us left, right and centre and taking the piss out of us when we're on the brink of relegation.

I think he's as false as they come, last season's antics prove he's only interested in goalscoring records (as well as him selfishly shooting from anywhere) and completely downs tools when things aren't going his way. I think he loves the limelight and dislikes anyone who might take it away from him (i.e. Vardy because of his backstory). You have to question why worse players than Vardy (statistically and otherwise) are continually starting up front with Kane when he and Vardy clearly don't get on with each other, why his Spurs mates like Alli and Dier keep getting picked despite even their fans admitting they are shockingly out of form, why he's captain despite not being an obvious leader or a team player......are we to believe these are all coincidences?

ITV were so biased (as usual) last night. Maguire dived, Henderson dived, it was pathetic and we should be ashamed of their behaviour. Why can't they just admit it's out of order?

The Colombians did the same on a regular basis and were rightly chastised for it, but Tyldesley and Hoddle were on national television last night and they were just plain unprofessional.

Colombia were a disgrace though, capable of very good football on their day but they just didn't want to play at all. They deserved to go out.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

As I've said before, you're allowed to dislike him sure but I feel really uncomfortable with the way the British press vilify him. The man ain't right, he's ****ing ill, and the best thing to do would be just ignore him and leave him to it. 

Roll your eyes if you have to and go about your day. He's Gazza style off the reservation. 

If he is ill (and I think you may well be entirely right on that score) either he or - more likely - someone around him should have the presence of mind to get him to someone to give him the help he needs.

Until then, AFAIC he chooses to stick his head above the parapet and the Brit media have every right to take their shot as he's chosen to do so - and I'd say the same if he was Gazza too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

2. It is if you're thinking entirely on club terms. 

3. Kane had both arms around Sanchez to get past him. I don't much care for penalties in that case anyway, I like a good bit of argie-bargy in the box - contact sport and all that, but the only reason you lot think it's clear cut is because it's for your side. Fair, heat of the moment if say Fellani is in that situation with Maguire as Maddison swings the ball in in 5 1/2 weeks time I'd be crying for a penalty too - you want to win by hook or by crook - but really it's a soft call, and if you're honest one you'd be annoyed at if its given up the other end.

I apologise for re-use of the term but that's utter bollocks. If it's in the other box, it's a penalty to the opposition. No question.

Not sure who 'you lot' refers to (bit of a **** thing to write, presumably looking for a reaction, so I'll oblige), I have my own mind, that's what I think, I'll stand by it. 

Someone mentioned you 'fishing' on here the other day, maybe you are, you certainly knowingly say things looking for reactions but really you've just come across as a bit of a tit during this World cup (in my opinion), unable to really accept any positivity regarding Englands performances. That's fine, knock yourself out, I can't stand Scottish sports teams so I get it. I seem to be mature enough not to go onto mainly Scottish forums attempting to put down their teams for juvenile entertainment, maybe we're just different.

Edit - I should qualify the above by saying that I normally find your posts pretty entertaining, often funny and often well thought out. I've actually repped you lots of times from memory. You're clearly not a fool but the nature of the posts regarding England I find a little tiresome. 

Edited by Max Wall

14 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

ITV were so biased (as usual) last night. Maguire dived, Henderson dived, it was pathetic and we should be ashamed of their behaviour. Why can't they just admit it's out of order?

The Colombians did the same on a regular basis and were rightly chastised for it, but Tyldesley and Hoddle were on national television last night and they were just plain unprofessional.

Colombia were a disgrace though, capable of very good football on their day but they just didn't want to play at all. They deserved to go out.

I don't often agree with you, though I always read your posts. On this occasion I totally agree. I was disappointed with those incidents. I thought Colombia were worse than us on the whole but that doesn't excuse or absolve England players when they do the wrong thing.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

As I've said before, you're allowed to dislike him sure but I feel really uncomfortable with the way the British press vilify him. The man ain't right, he's ****ing ill, and the best thing to do would be just ignore him and leave him to it. 

Roll your eyes if you have to and go about your day. He's Gazza style off the reservation. 

eh? “ill” or not he’s an absolute fu cking **** who everyone in the world should hate. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

eh? “ill” or not he’s an absolute fu cking **** who everyone in the world should hate. 

I fall somewhere between you and Finnegan on this. If you put yourself out there to be shot at in 2018, that's what will happen. Most people don't get special treatment, why should he.

However, I'm an England fan and I don't actually hate him. Is that strange? Probably. There's plenty won't agree but he's the best player I've ever seen and, despite the handball, some of the things he did on the pitch absolutely thrilled me watching it. More so than Messi, more so than Ronaldo, maybe that's just my age.

He's Argentinian, he doesn't like England, fair enough (for historical reasons). I'm not sure he's the brightest, even before the drug abuse, so I actually don't hold that against him. The negative comments regarding England are to be expected. Frankly, he's been such a laughable figure since his career finished, that his outbursts leave me neither here nor there.

47 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

This, Colombia played into England’s hands with their shenanigans and mood for bellicose jingoism...... the game was ruined, however, England as a whole negotiated it relatively well. 

57 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

He isn't a difficult bloke to hate if you're a Leicester fan, I don't know how anyone on here can give him the time of day. Many other players have never been forgiven just for being crap, yet he was crap, didn't try, and acted like we still owed him something when in fact he'd been stealing a living from us whilst our season went to shit. All of a sudden he's some cockney hero scoring against us left, right and centre and taking the piss out of us when we're on the brink of relegation.

I think he's as false as they come, last season's antics prove he's only interested in goalscoring records (as well as him selfishly shooting from anywhere) and completely downs tools when things aren't going his way. I think he loves the limelight and dislikes anyone who might take it away from him (i.e. Vardy because of his backstory). You have to question why worse players than Vardy (statistically and otherwise) are continually starting up front with Kane when he and Vardy clearly don't get on with each other, why his Spurs mates like Alli and Dier keep getting picked despite even their fans admitting they are shockingly out of form, why he's captain despite not being an obvious leader or a team player......are we to believe these are all coincidences?

After agreeing with your other post, I disagree with most of this one.

Edited by Max Wall

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

I don't often agree with you, though I always read your posts. On this occasion I totally agree. I was disappointed with those incidents. I thought Colombia were worse than us on the whole but that doesn't excuse or absolve England players when they do the wrong thing.

I know it's de riguer to criticise every thing English, but don't understand the fact that nobody has mentioned that Maguire was clearly fouled when they scored. Clear hands on his shoulders and he was stopped from challenging for the ball. You may say he should have been stronger, but the man who scored wasn't the player he was marking. 

Clever play from Colombia, but bad reffing. 

I agree diving must be stopped, but implying that Colombia were only just a bit worse than us at cheating and dark arts - with respect not sure what game you were watching. 

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

6 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

I know it's de riguer to criticise every thing English, but don't understand the fact that nobody has mentioned that Maguire was clearly fouled when they scored. Clear hands on his shoulders and he was stopped from challenging for the ball. You may say he should have been stronger, but the man who scored wasn't the player he was marking. 

Clever play from Colombia, but bad reffing. 

I agree diving must be stopped, but implying that Colombia were only just a bit worse than us at cheating and dark arts - with respect not sure what game you were watching. 

I clearly didn't say that. I said they were worse than us on the whole, not 'just a bit worse'.

To clarify, I thought Colombia were deplorable. If anyone can unearth videos of half a dozen England players scuffing up the penalty spot before a penalty is taken, I'll be amazed. At times, England slightly fell into the trap and responded but the Colombians were a disgrace.

Whether Maguire was fouled or not in another incident, he should have been booked for diving in my opinion. He misjudged it and his wave to the ref shouldn't excuse him.

Edited by Max Wall

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

I clearly didn't say that. I said they were worse than us on the whole, not 'just a bit worse'.

To clarify, I thought Colombia were deplorable. If anyone can unearth videos of half a dozen England players scuffing up the penalty spot before a penalty is taken, I'll be amazed. At times, England slightly fell into the trap and responded but the Colombians were a disgrace.

Ok mate, but I took "on the whole" to be similar to "on balance" My error, apologies?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoyJones said:

Ok mate, but I took "on the whole" to be similar to "on balance" My error, apologies?

No worries. Maybe I could have worded it better or clearer. Some of the Colombian antics were awful, no doubt about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Tbf "swear on my daughter's life I touched it" when he clearly didn't, gotta be a bit of a spunktrumpet to do that.

Also, he's doing well for England and keeping Vardy out. Piss easy to hate the Butthead impersonator.

In Maradonas defence you could argue the ref did get the most important decision wrong in favour of England tbf - Kane wrestles Sanchez out of the way to get a free run, Sanchez wrestles back to stop him. It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other, hardly a penalty.

It was a stonewall penalty. Maguire does that to Kane in the league and you’re on here saying what an idiot maguire is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Kane is a top player. He was 20 when was on loan here. Lingard was also crap here but look how far he's come. I don't even hate Tottenham as a club. Just their fans.

Alli is a good player but somewhat limited. Dier is awful. Decent utility man but looks a complete liability in midfield. Spurs version of Daniel Amartey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Kane is a top player. He was 20 when was on loan here. Lingard was also crap here but look how far he's come. I don't even hate Tottenham as a club. Just their fans.

Alli is a good player but somewhat limited. Dier is awful. Decent utility man but looks a complete liability in midfield. Spurs version of Daniel Amartey.

Very harsh on big Dan imo

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

2. It is if you're thinking entirely on club terms. 

3. Kane had both arms around Sanchez to get past him. I don't much care for penalties in that case anyway, I like a good bit of argie-bargy in the box - contact sport and all that, but the only reason you lot think it's clear cut is because it's for your side. Fair, heat of the moment if say Fellani is in that situation with Maguire as Maddison swings the ball in in 5 1/2 weeks time I'd be crying for a penalty too - you want to win by hook or by crook - but really it's a soft call, and if you're honest one you'd be annoyed at if its given up the other end.

you poor  demented young man.. Man you need a doctor..:rolleyes:

My co-worker said to me she saw an interview after the match with two of our players. She didn't know the names, but she said one was the goalkeeper. She said she could understand the one player fine, but she had no idea what the goalkeeper was saying. She asked me what language he was speaking lol

13 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

When on loan to us, he was an unfinished kid.

He is now the finished article, and one of the very best in the world.

He (vast majority of the time) doesn't dive, playact, try to whack people in a sly crude way off the ball, berate referees, badmouth people in interviews, attract controversy off the pitch

The basis of your angst seems to be that he scores lots of goals and likes scoring goals, so he is a bellend for it.

Its a crap argument that's fuelled by resentment, jealousy, your supporter bias and your own endless levels of unhappiness and pettiness

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Maguire expected contact that never came, Davinson Sanchez aimed a wild swing but then pulled out when Maguire got to the ball first. Harry then clearly signalled to the referee that there was no contact and that sort of behaviour should be applauded.

When did Henderson dive though? I hope you don't mean the time he was headbutted?

You know I despised Kane before this tournament started, but the giraffe tongued fella has grown on me. Wasn’t as far forward as I’d of liked most of the match, but he’s got nerves of steel and his primal roar when we won the penalty shootout cemented it for me. Go on son - get this done. 

• Like 1