Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Colombia v England - last 16 round - 03/07 at 19:00ko

The Colombians on social media thinking the referee was biased for England because they got more yellow cards lol . 

My own fault for entertaining social media and the ignorant / uneducated I guess...

Extremely happy, a beautiful night in the end, but...

There is nothing I hate more than bringing on a defensive midfielder to protect a slender lead and then conceding and no longer offering anything going forward.  Should have brought on Loftus Cheek instead of Dier (although Dier scored a pen, so kudos to him for that)

The opportunity to bring Vardy on when the game was opening up massively was around 70 minutes, if I recall rightly.

We could have finished them had we done that, but no, Dier instead. Ludicrous decision imo.  They scored and sat back again

1 goal from open play is a cause for concern.  Really happy we're in a QF and in no way moaning, we need to sort a few things out

Alli and Lingard are not playing fantastically (Sterling is struggling a bit in the same way Vardy does in that nobody plays the quick balls in behind in the final third, we need to do this more, this is what created any chances we had yesterday, we are wasting the pace available)

And Lingard going down in the box instead of shooting was maddening, a real dive to give up one of the few great positions

I hope Southgate recognises some things need to change.  We are yet to play a really good opponent and yet to put in as good a performance as I think possible

• Like 1

Thought we were comfortable from start to finish, controlled the game really and restricted Colombia. The Dier sub was the right thing to do although he had an absolute stinker of a game and it killed everything that we had. Thought the first half of extra time they looked stronger but both teams seemed to settle for penalties in the second half. Delighted we've finally managed to win a game on penalties. 

Kane lead the line like any world class forward should, he's been fantastic this summer. Maguire, Stones were fantastic and I thought Lingard was decent too. 

8 hours ago, treer said:

Apparently the psychologist's have deduced that it is beneficial to have a more successful penalty taker when the situation is sudden death, the fact that Kane took the first automatically meant that Vardy would have taken the 6th, cannot understand the reasoning myself, but I suppose they have to come up  with these ideas to justify their jobs.

Eh, the highest pressure penalty is the 4th, accounting for something like a quarter of all misses, you want your best taker there. Without the ABBA system, going first gives you around a 75% chance of winning, so lady luck really smiled on you lot last night

5 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

leeds tonight was absolutely shut down by coppers and ambulances. at half 9. on a tuesday. after we won a lay 16 game. imagine when we are in the final of the world cup. it’s game over. the country is going to sink.  

It was brilliant, I’ve completely lost my voice lol

8 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Eh, the highest pressure penalty is the 4th, accounting for something like a quarter of all misses, you want your best taker there. Without the ABBA system, going first gives you around a 75% chance of winning, so lady luck really smiled on you lot last night

The best penalty of the night was taken by the 4th England penalty taker. 

Now the dust has settled and the feeling of relief has calmed down a bit we need to remember we were pretty shit last night. Yes Colombia turned it into a horrible match but we never looked like scoring. Sterling and Ali were dreadful again but the problem is we looked even worse when they came off. 

Harry Maguire was sensational again, surely we are going to get some huge bids for him. 

Both teams were crap. England made next to nothing up front, with Colombia almost as bad. Alli, Lingard and Sterling all anonymous last night and we were fortunate that Colombia had James missing and decided on trying to craphouse their way through instead of playing football. 

But at the end of the day, this is tournament football and going through is the most important thing. We survived a highly attritional game, and most likely the next game versus Sweden will be much of the same. Think England have been massively unconvincing, but would be surprised if we don't get to the semi finals, and once there even if we get the trickier opponent in Croatia I'd give us way more of a chance than against an in-form Spain or Germany if they were still left in. We  could end up winning this world cup without playing well! Madness.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bert said:

The best penalty of the night was taken by the 4th England penalty taker. 

And the 4th taker for Colombia when scoring would have pretty much locked it up missed. Doesn't change that around a quarter of all penalties missed in a shootout are by the guy that goes fourth.

Last nights game was more about the result rather than the performance given our recent form when it comes to knockout football. The fact we won it via a penalty shootout is an added bonus and another monkey off our back. The pressure should now be lifted and confidence high and I hope that's reproduced on the pitch.

9 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Shakira? There's a thought. But how would she discover me, of 10 The High Street Haverhill, turn left at the Post Office and go across Tesco's car park? Key under plant pot, sod it, door open.

I’m in Haverhill later and Know the area well.

correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that a primary school across from Tesco’s car park ?

Thought Sterling’s movement and touch was quality for the most part last night. Didn’t come off for him in the final third but it didn’t for any of the lads so I’ve no idea why he’s getting all the stick.

Kane’s performance was right up there with any I’ve seen too. How many free kicks did he win in the second half? Top class

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We weren't. 

We were solid 6 to 7 out of ten. 

I know what you mean, we were more solid, looking less frail at the back, only one or two shambolic idiot defending moments against Colombia, an improvement

Need to get a bit more than solid moving the ball up the pitch though, need some more runners.  I thought Rose coming on showed that he could provide that, would give him a start next game

11 hours ago, Silva Fox said:

So proud and pleased for Harry. If we can keep hold of him that will be the best business we do this summer.

Can we start a hide McGuire thread?  Now widely accepted that he was MOM last night!

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Thought Sterling’s movement and touch was quality for the most part last night. Didn’t come off for him in the final third but it didn’t for any of the lads so I’ve no idea why he’s getting all the stick.

He was fine, they all were. We're never going to be given the chance to show what we can really do playing against these cheating, anti-football twats that just want to foul and frustrate us. Annoying that it will pretty much be the same Saturday and maybe even the Semi if Russia get through again. 

9 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Mate I'm ecstatic that we won, in tears. I followed England home and away 1990-2015. But I just wish the manager would play players in form. I know every player that puts on an England top gives their all, but in a crucial situation you don't bring on a player out of sorts.

I don't believe in slagging off the lads, but we had better options. Anyway looking forward to a proper game on Saturday. Tc 

Yeah, I was way too drunk and emotional last night, hence being argumentative when I should have just kept off FT. 

I appreciate what you are saying regarding better options. I think, given the togetherness he's forged in the squad, I'm happy to go with what Southgate decides but I should have realised that's not everyone's opinion. I was in pure 'defend our players' mode. Really, I should have just gone to bed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cambridgefox said:

I’m in Haverhill later and Know the area well.

correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that a primary school across from Tesco’s car park ?

wouldnt it be a laugh if you wandered over grabbed the key and let yself in... maybe wearing a Shaquiri shirt :)

6 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I must be 1 of the few people who thinks Lingaard is having a good tournament. Really don't understand why so many are slating him, he's really won me over this tournament

Same, he's a very efficient player. A typical Southgate player who fits in to his system perfectly but whom isn't an obvious choice at first glance.