Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Akhisarspor Match Thread

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

Really hard to judge pre-season friendlies.  

Some tentative conclusions might be drawn, among them:

1 Gray isn’t a striker in the making

2 Slimani doesn’t give one, and has to be eased out

3 Diabate isn’t ready for regular PL football

4 Mendy might, just might, be worth keeping

5 Madders is a player - I think we knew that! But I’m worried that without further creativity, we’ll be as reliant on him next season as we always have been on Mahrez

6 Elder has come on leaps & bounds in a year. Could be Fuchs’s successor next season in competition with Chilwell

7 Of all our ‘surplus’ strikers, Ulloa could be the keeper. He wouldn’t mind a role on the bench for one more year. He looks leaner & fitter than a year ago. He offers a plan B (or C). Takes a mean penno too!

What do you think?

8 Iborra is not that good

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sishades said:

For those who have just joined us..City ran out winners by seven goals to nill with a sintilating display of attacking, possesion football whilst utilising all areas of the pitch. Slimani with four, King got two and even Ward got a penalty at the end, celebrating with a bouble back somersault with reverse half pike turn landing perfectly on just one leg. 

Vardy is shite get rid. Not even on the score sheet.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, les-tah said:

This is outrageous.. I’m so angry .. Everton beat a much better side 22-0 and we can’t even score a goal.

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

????????????????

Classic FT. ATV Irdning, a fifth tier Austrian side that is so lowly they don't even have an entry on Wiki. You sure about that?

:pearson:

10 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

5 Madders is a player - I think we knew that! But I’m worried that without further creativity, we’ll be as reliant on him next season as we always have been on Mahrez

6 Elder has come on leaps & bounds in a year. Could be Fuchs’s successor next season in competition with Chilwell

7 Of all our ‘surplus’ strikers, Ulloa could be the keeper. He wouldn’t mind a role on the bench for one more year. He looks leaner & fitter than a year ago. He offers a plan B (or C). Takes a mean penno too!

What do you think?

On point 5 and regards to Mahrez I hope people still don’t think we can actually do much next year without a true replacement. It will be football suicide if we don’t get anyone in.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Every ****ing year we have this. Every bad friendly result. Every time. I can give countless, countless examples of great pre season results before poor season and poor pre seasons with great seasons. 

I literally came here to say the same thing. I went to the Notts County game on Saturday and instantly regretted it. I try every season but I can't do it. I give ZERO shits about friendlies. They matter absolutely zero for the season ahead. ZERO.

Still to this day I remember us losing 2-1 to Northampton Town and everyone losing their heads just days before we began a 102 point Championship title winning season

They're glorified training matches that mean the square root of naff all and have no lasting impact on the season ahead. It's quite humorous how much people try to place emphasis on these games, people are so pathetic. Get a life and enjoy the heatwave everyone.

In this day and age where the club have the ability to broadcast every training match before the season starts it only perpetuates the silly season of fans desperate to over analyse and take things too seriously.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

What do you think?

Pretty much bang on point. Maybe a 6a and add Darnell Johnson looks like he could move up as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Thankfully I had a few problems with my stream so didn't suffer the full 90 minutes. Glorified training session. Surely some of the World Cup crew will start on Saturday?

Hoping to see the Nigerians and Portuguese on Saturday. :D

23 minutes ago, TeaMen Tom said:

Who took out the Akhisarspor guy in a pay-back tackle?  Was it Elder?  Would have been a straight red in a regular game, but he showed great form.

I haven't watched the game tbh but it sounds just like something Josh Knight could do.

Regarding Gray he’s playing a “false 9” role where the idea is that he starts up front but moves toward midfield when we have the ball to drag centre backs with him and open up passing lanes in the space he creates. Pep’s Barcelona started it with Messi and Liverpool currently do it Firminho. One of the reasons why Salah and Mane score so many is because of the often unsung and unselfish work Firminho does. 

Can Gray play that role? I certainly have my reservations but to be fair to him it’s a very complex role that also requires strong team cohesion. The other forwards need to be in sync so that when he drops, they occupy the space he’s made so that Maddison can put them through. Madders looks like the real deal so it’s going to be down to Diabate / Albrighton possibly even Vardy to understand that system *if* we play it. Honestly if it gets Vardy running at pace in a non counter attacking scenario then it could yield very promising results. 

To be honest whilst it’s not worked so far I do rate Puel in being bold enough to try it. Seeing as most of the senior team weren’t match ready due to the World Cup then why not give something different a try whilst the primary goal is to build up match fitness? Some of our glory in recent times has come from bold tactical moves such as 3-5-2 (survival season) and counter attack (title win).

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3