Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

8 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Don't get this. Look where everyone is. All over the show. Should have been Amartey's man not Ricardo's.

Little wrong with Amartey's positioning in that shot, not a chance he should be expected to cover that man alone, he's been dragged over because Maguire and Evans have both gone that side. If he was covering the player at the back the space between him and Maguire would be huge and their other player behind him in this shot would be free to have a tap in.

Ricardo just looks static and has been caught ball watching again. I still think he'll be good, plenty of plus points he he just needs time with a good defensive coach... which I don't think Puel is as he keeps insisting and player slow cb's on our own half way line.

If he's just a couple of yards sharper he's probably in a position to clear the ball on the second goal.

He's not good enough to defend and only really shows glimpses going forward, not sure the strategy of spending big money from players in dominant teams in poor leagues is a good one, you'll get the odd exception like Van Dijk but I think for every one if those you'll have five of Ricardo, Musa and Slimani. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

Fingers crossed he can do well, otherwise it’s gonna have to be a priority in January 

Well he won't get better unless he plays that position - hope he can grow into it, because he's an absolute asset going forwards.

15 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Well he won't get better unless he plays that position - hope he can grow into it, because he's an absolute asset going forwards.

No one can really complain in terms of his attacking play, I just worry even with playing time at right back he’s just not meant to be a right back in the prem 

9 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

No one can really complain in terms of his attacking play, I just worry even with playing time at right back he’s just not meant to be a right back in the prem 

... totally agree!! 

In a back four I have previously suggested that he should be switched to left wing and Albrighton comes in on the right. A much better balance on the wings and as a team. 

The fact that his positional sense is so poor does not lend itself to a "suck it and see" option, let's play to our players strengths and not in positions that highlights their weakness. 

For ages Simpson was asked to play a role he obviously was not suited to and yet game after game he was dragged out to perform a role he was guaranteed to fail at. 

Think we'll miss Amartey tomorrow. Can see Paterson pulling to the back post time and time again to exploit an aerial mismatch with Ricardo, as well as having one less 6 footer in the side against a team who will look to exploit set pieces.

Edited by martyn

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... totally agree!! 

In a back four I have previously suggested that he should be switched to left wing and Albrighton comes in on the right. A much better balance on the wings and as a team. 

The fact that his positional sense is so poor does not lend itself to a "suck it and see" option, let's play to our players strengths and not in positions that highlights their weakness. 

For ages Simpson was asked to play a role he obviously was not suited to and yet game after game he was dragged out to perform a role he was guaranteed to fail at. 

I agree, from the left wing he could benefit, with potential atleast for the meanwhile gray on the right wing.

3 hours ago, martyn said:

Think we'll miss Amartey tomorrow. Can see Paterson pulling to the back post time and time again to exploit an aerial mismatch with Ricardo, as well as having one less 6 footer in the side against a team who will look to exploit set pieces.

Not if we go 3-4-1-2

• Like 2

I'm not (yet) convinced that Ricardo is a right back. I hope he proves me wrong. He's brilliant attacking - fast and a few tricks - but defensively suspect imho.

We'd been lucky that Amartey shows promise and was growing into that role because it gave us the option. Now, with Amatey's injury, I feel we are exposed there. Simpson coming on (at Cardiff yesterday) wasn't, I personally don't think, because of some sense of loyalty  (ok, maybe a little bit) but rather tactical. Puel saw the weakness and made the switch with the only option he felt he had. Simpson is a lot of things, and certainly not a Puel type of player, but you do know what you're going to get. Against Cardiff and their tactics, Simpson was the man for the hour.

• Like 1

We have modern right backs and left backs, and in some respects CB's, but we're not using the tactics that fully suits that style yet. Two clubs i've seen who are fantastic exponents of this are Man City and actually... Sheffield Utd.

It requires a great deal of flexibility tactically, essentially if one player charges forward, one of the forward players has to drop back. At Man City when they distribute from the keeper, Fernandinho becomes a centre back and walker and Mendy become midfielders.

Similarly at Sheff Utd they have CB's who charge out and become the teams most creative force, when they do this both Midfielders drop back immediately into CB so no space is left empty.

At the minute whenever maguire charges out we are too slow to have someone drop in. The same applies to when the wingers charge forward.

It's frustrating really as both our CM's are perect for the job of dropping in, similarly when the wingers charge forward, N'Didi can drop into a 3.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

We have modern right backs and left backs, and in some respects CB's, but we're not using the tactics that fully suits that style yet. Two clubs i've seen who are fantastic exponents of this are Man City and actually... Sheffield Utd.

It requires a great deal of flexibility tactically, essentially if one player charges forward, one of the forward players has to drop back. At Man City when they distribute from the keeper, Fernandinho becomes a centre back and walker and Mendy become midfielders.

Similarly at Sheff Utd they have CB's who charge out and become the teams most creative force, when they do this both Midfielders drop back immediately into CB so no space is left empty.

At the minute whenever maguire charges out we are too slow to have someone drop in. The same applies to when the wingers charge forward.

It's frustrating really as both our CM's are perect for the job of dropping in, similarly when the wingers charge forward, N'Didi can drop into a 3.

Brilliant point

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

The reason it works with Man City is that they play 3 in central midfield whereas we only play a pair, if Mendy or Ndidi drops in to the backline we only have one midfielder occupying the centre which is dangerous as it's hard to circulate the ball and a team is more prone to conceding after losing the ball centrally. Chilwell and Amartey/Pereira aren't really suited to being inverted fullbacks either.

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The reason it works with Man City is that they play 3 in central midfield whereas we only play a pair, if Mendy or Ndidi drops in to the backline we only have one midfielder occupying the centre which is dangerous as it's hard to circulate the ball and a team is more prone to conceding after losing the ball centrally

Ah and there's the rub.

Our centre backs, generally speaking - Morgan to one extreme and Maguire to the other - are not capable ball carriers/passers. Morgan gets into trouble quickly when he tries it and ends up over doing himself and getting carded. He was a better player yesterday simply because he did less and kept it too what he can do. Maguire is clearly more competent with the ball at his feet but still not what you'd call graceful.  Methinks this is were Benkovic and Soyuncu come into the thinking as our longer term options; they're seen as capable players, happy with the ball at their feet, much less likely to concede possession and leave us exposed in dangerous areas.

I guess the tactic is quite simple - in theory, In attack, bring your defenders forward to overload and outnumber the opposition. In practice, it falls apart when your marauding centre back loses possession in the centre circle and you effectively end up being outnumbered.    

Off topic here but I wanted to mention how much I was impressed by Mendy yesterday; for a little fella, he's pretty darned robust on the ball! Even out-hussled Cardiff's scouse brick layer! ;)

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

The reason it works with Man City is that they play 3 in central midfield whereas we only play a pair, if Mendy or Ndidi drops in to the backline we only have one midfielder occupying the centre which is dangerous as it's hard to circulate the ball and a team is more prone to conceding after losing the ball centrally. Chilwell and Amartey/Pereira aren't really suited to being inverted fullbacks either.

Yes sorry I couldn’t be arsed to go into any more detail lol essentially at Sheff U the number ten who was Brooks when they did this best used to drop into midfield for a two... it all falls backwards essentially, everyone just takes a step back from their actual positions. 

1 hour ago, FoxNotFox said:

I'm not (yet) convinced that Ricardo is a right back. I hope he proves me wrong. He's brilliant attacking - fast and a few tricks - but defensively suspect imho.

We'd been lucky that Amartey shows promise and was growing into that role because it gave us the option. Now, with Amatey's injury, I feel we are exposed there. Simpson coming on (at Cardiff yesterday) wasn't, I personally don't think, because of some sense of loyalty  (ok, maybe a little bit) but rather tactical. Puel saw the weakness and made the switch with the only option he felt he had. Simpson is a lot of things, and certainly not a Puel type of player, but you do know what you're going to get. Against Cardiff and their tactics, Simpson was the man for the hour.

Pereira was fine defensively yesterday, although again, it was obviously against weak opposition (as is Burnley atm).  The reason Claude went to Simpson is that he had the lead and a team that was clearly running on fumes, over-emotional and under-rehearsed for the match.  He protected, exactly as he should have, and Simpson is suited to that role.  Ricardo is, of course, equally comfortable either at RB or on the wing so it was a logical move.  I don't think one can infer anything long-term from it, apart from the fact that if we're protecting a lead late and under pressure, Simpson at RB and Ricardo moving forward is a viable closing option. 

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I think it works better with Ndidi and Iborra, who form a more balanced pair. When the fullbacks bomb forward they always moved laterally to cover. Mendy is a revelation, but doesn't cover the ground the same way. 

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

As we play high line, The deepest midfielder just need to sit deep in his usual areas anyway. Its possible. 

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Good point. I always wonder why the coach didn't ask his cm to do so. With high line, there's not much difference between midfield drop as cb and his natural position as well. Barcelona for example, Mascherano quickly adapt as cb since they played high line

2 hours ago, FoxNotFox said:

I think amartey has catch Puel eye sincr last season. Once Simpson injured, he has to wait until amartey injured to play. There's even time when Simpson is nowhere, even in the bench. 

5 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Give puel a season to work with him and he’ll be class. Same problems Chilwell was having - being weak & defensivly suspect. 

Yeah agree. Last season so many complaints gone for him, mainly moan about him not PL standart except as winger. Now he's one of the best player we have and moaners are gone. Idk where, maybe moan about others? 

This guy still young. Not like 28 yo who won't improve much. Give him time