Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

5 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Give puel a season to work with him and he’ll be class. Same problems Chilwell was having - being weak & defensivly suspect. 

Chilwell was what, 19, 20? Pereira's already played for Puel and under better managers than Puel in Conceicao, Favre, Lopetegui (arguably) and Fonseca plus he's 25. Puel isn't the fullback whisperer, Pereira is just suspect defensively unfortunately and more time in the premier league will help him but he's unlikely to improve significantly from here.

25 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Chilwell was what, 19, 20? Pereira's already played for Puel and under better managers than Puel in Conceicao, Favre, Lopetegui (arguably) and Fonseca plus he's 25. Puel isn't the fullback whisperer, Pereira is just suspect defensively unfortunately and more time in the premier league will help him but he's unlikely to improve significantly from here.

Strange  how people presume he will not improve playing in a new league after about a quarter of the season has gone.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Strange  how people presume he will not improve playing in a new league after about a quarter of the season has gone.

I said he's unlikely to improve significantly not that he won't ever. Danny Simpson had 10 years to improve going forwards and didn't. It's not like it's only occasionally he's beaten or his positioning's sometimes off, he's very clearly a converted winger. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Those coach play him as right back. The first one, puel, convert him from winger to fullback. Also we need to mention fernando Santos, Portuguese coach. He's played for some years as right back already, including national team.  Somehow he didn't impress atm. Surely its not because he can't play rb, It seems more about adaptation issues. 

Also 25 isn't like 27 or 28.there still plenty room to improve. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I said he's unlikely to improve significantly not that he won't ever. Danny Simpson had 10 years to improve going forwards and didn't. It's not like it's only occasionally he's beaten or his positioning's sometimes off, he's very clearly a converted winger. 

Good point. But Simpson isn't improve going forward as he's already established defensive fb which he plays for decades. 

Only Puel did tried him going forward last season 

55 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

mostly because we don’t really know what we’re talking about lol 

I'd own up to that!

Sometimes, I hear people talk about football and I wonder wtf they're talking about so I guess there must be different levels of understanding. Mine is very much arm chair punditry based on having played club football for 10+ years.  I know nothing really. Guardiola, for instance, probably instantly sees patterns in the game in the same way mathematicians see the world in numbers, or concert pianists think in musical scores. Stuff I can't even begin to see. Come think of it, I reckon there are some managers in the game whose understanding is probably nearer mine than Pep's!   Whether it's right or not is another matter entirely. Doesn't matter how you score; through high maths, quantum mechanics, string theory or simply hoofing it - they all count the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

It’s what FT does. The majority of FT are proven wrong on a consistent basis with things like this, mostly because we don’t really know what we’re talking about lol 

And when they have proven wrong, they are silent about it and seeking another target. 

From Jamie vardy to Gray, now its pereira time. 

Hope this will be proven wrong one day as well 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

It’s what FT does. The majority of FT are proven wrong on a consistent basis with things like this, mostly because we don’t really know what we’re talking about lol 

But we'll defend our inalienable right to express our opinions to the death ( and then espouse a diametrically opposing view the first time the object of our scorn makes a clever tackle/ pass or scores only to flop back again at his next mistake)lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

This should be the new FT tagline at the top of every page.  X

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanan96 said:

And when they have proven wrong, they are silent about it and seeking another target. 

Not that you are singling me out but multiple times I’ve admitted I got it wrong with Vardy and Chilwell. It’d be fantastic if Pereira was to improve defensively but if he hasn’t done at 25 I can’t see it happening.  

If you show too much faith in a player you can get stung, Pereira is at fault for too many goals to play at RB.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Not that you are singling me out but multiple times I’ve admitted I got it wrong with Vardy and Chilwell. It’d be fantastic if Pereira was to improve defensively but if he hasn’t done at 25 I can’t see it happening.  

If you show too much faith in a player you can get stung, Pereira is at fault for too many goals to play at RB.

This not resonating with the aforementioned bad call about Vardy at all?

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

Those managers you’ve mentioned are not better than puel imo. & he just needs beefing up abit and reigning in within a defence shape. 

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

This not resonating with the aforementioned bad call about Vardy at all?

At 25 Vardy played in the conference at conference facilities under a conference manager. He’d made the leap to even semi-pro level fairly late. Pereira’s played for a club that’s one of the biggest in Portugal.

Just now, OhYesNdidi said:

Those managers you’ve mentioned are not better than puel imo. & he just needs beefing up abit and reigning in within a defence shape. 

What lol 

Favre’s top of the Bundesliga with Dortmund after moving from Nice, Puel’s move after managing Nice was Southampton. Fonseca and Conceicao are both managing at Champions League clubs. I’m indifferent to Puel but he’s not going to turn Pereira into a good defender, some of his mistakes are ones that Chilwell didn’t even make when he was very raw 

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

At 25 Vardy played in the conference at conference facilities under a conference manager. He’d made the leap to even semi-pro level fairly late. Pereira’s played for a club that’s one of the biggest in Portugal.

What lol 

Favre’s top of the Bundesliga with Dortmund after moving from Nice, Puel’s move after managing Nice was Southampton. Fonseca and Conceicao are both managing at Champions League clubs. I’m indifferent to Puel but he’s not going to turn Pereira into a good defender, some of his mistakes are ones that Chilwell didn’t even make when he was very raw 

Pereira has improved slightly in the short time he's been here defensively.  It is possible he could get better in that regard, he is still relatively young and in a new league.

Chilwell made a lot of very bad mistakes defensively last year.  I was actually wanting us to play Fuchs because I thought Chilwell was costing us points and not providing quite enough going forward to justify that

Puel has big massive balls for sticking with Chilwell.  He played the long game and saw what the benefits would be if he gave Chilwell his guaranteed place.  This is the sort of thing that Puel is here for.  You can tell the younger players in particular are appreciating this.  Gray knows what its like to be under managers that wont take risks on youth and will stick with the old guard no matter the form.

Whatever his faults, Ricardo improves the squad because he is one of our better technical players.  He is working out well imo and improvements defensively could make him a fantastic RB.  If he doesnt improve defensively, which is unlikely really, then he is still a good player for us because the man can attack

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Considering how those 'good' coach you were mention, as well national team manager, played him as fullbacks for years, then he does have the attributes for it. Whether it balance ones like azpilicueta or more attacking wise like Alves or maicon instead of like raw talent who need a significant improvement. Otherwise those coach are blind ones, which is curious how come they are so blind for many years. 

And, if I have too much faith with player, I will stuck with the title winning player forever while ignoring my younger talents until the point that they are gone and my old player can't cope with the game anymore. That's a real problem

P.S vardy was few years older than 25 btw

Edited by Hanan96
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

Correct. Just as maddening is when you address an argumentative point, give a proper response that debunks what they said, and they go silent on you then, as admitting you're right/they're wrong is beyond them, and it seems that conceding a point is deemed weak. It has happened to me a number of times on here (recently in particular) and does nothing to instil confidence that you're talking to someone reasonable.

• Like 1

Like others have said, give him the season at right back; he can only improve.

Some might notice his tackles per game are often our highest (even more than Ndidi’s!) this is because at times he likes to get close to his man and try and nip the ball. However, at times I think this is his downfall as some players skip past him after his pressing which then leaves us open on the right side. He’ll learn only from playing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane said:

I think we should just play Pereira at RB for the rest of the season. Like Chilwell last year, he will make mistakes but he will only improve as a RB by playing games.

Watching Chilwell last year, I didn’t think he’d be anywhere near an England call up. But here we are! Maybe Pereira just needs time to adjust...

I agree with this, though I don't think he specifically has to play at Right Back (though it might be his best position long-term). To me it's clear he is a good player that so far has struggled with the physical intensity of defending in the Premier League. I think he has one goal and three assists already... that's a pretty decent return. His assist for Vardy in game one, his goal against Everton and his link up play for Maddison to score against Wolves were all the signs of a good player.

I think your comparison to Chilwell is very apt! Last season, espeically torwards the end of the season you saw Chilwell becoming more and more important, acting as one of our main attacking outlets. He was still rough around the edges but it was obvious what he brought to the team. This season he's cut out the mistakes, got stronger and added to his attacking game which is why he is quite rightly being heralded as out best player so far this season. Ricardo is one of our best attacking outlets on the right hand side already, be it at right back or right wing and can use both feet. To me it seems likely that as time goes by he will improve so I think perseverance is key. I think he has been a decent signing so far personally.

• Like 2

Ricardo has looked like a fantastic attacking winger. He has great feet, great speed, a better shot than most of our attackers and he can cross the ball. He hasn't looked good going backwards nor in defence but we all need to remember he hasn't played in the prem before. It takes time to learn how to play in England and the prem.

He's clearly our only hope at the moment for RB. I hope we bring someone else in in December as backup but he's certainly a keeper for us.

Anyone else noticed his Ndidi-like tackling ability? He's made more tackles than Ndidi so far, despite playing 200 fewer minutes. I think he's still gelling with the team, learning when to go and when to stay - and more importantly, when to come back. Made the same number of tackles against Cardiff as the rest of our starting XI combined.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Anyone else noticed his Ndidi-like tackling ability? He's made more tackles than Ndidi so far, despite playing 200 fewer minutes. I think he's still gelling with the team, learning when to go and when to stay - and more importantly, when to come back. Made the same number of tackles against Cardiff as the rest of our starting XI combined.

I was looking at his stats earlier, and was surprised to see how highly rated he was defensively. I think if he's in the right position he's fine, he has the skills needed to deal with the situation, it's just making sure he's in the right position not to get caught out where it's going wrong. But I would like to think that would be the easier of the two to rectify?

• Like 1

I feel a lot more confident when Albrighton is on the same side as him. He seems to track back and help him out a bit more.

I've only watched the extended highlights from Saturday and he seemed to get caught out a couple of times defensively, both times he looked a little exposed.

Going forward he looks fantastic, runs at pace, close control, good feet.

He's growing on me.

I think we need to be brave and stick with Ricardo at right back, particularly at home. Problem is having him and Morgan on the right side of the defence is a nightmare, last person we want being pulled out wide because Ricardo is up the pitch is Wes, he will either be skinned or will foul. Need to ensure that Mendy/Ndidi/Iborra are prepared for this and cover position.