Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Allardyce claims he could have signed Vardy for West Ham.

He said: “When I was at West Ham and I needed some goals Mickey Mellon, who played for me, he’s a brilliant manager and he is at Tranmere now.

“But he rang me up and he said ‘We can’t sign Jamie Vardy; he won’t stay with us Sam. Give us a million quid and it will be the best signing you have ever made..

'And that was quite a bit of money for a non-league player, I’m talking 2011, in my first season at West Ham.

“I just wondered if Jamie could jump out of the conference and come in for our first year of the Premier League.

“So I didn’t do it and I have been kicking myself ever since because he went to Leicester instead with Nigel [Pearson] and [Craig Shakespeare] Shakey.”

So, i read this and conclude that there was no cash left in the deal to give big sam a drink, so he didn't buy him?

i bet if there was a deal structured so the purchase price was £500k with £500k for big sam the deal would have been done there and then.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:09, Raw Dykes said:

I think you might be right.

There's so much to be optimistic about. Most of the first XI are around 22. They'll be coming into their prime in about 4 years. Although it's very early days, they're already challenging at the top of the table, so it's actually a bit scary what they could be capable of in a few years' time if they stay together. There may well be one or two who move on each season, but I'm not too worried about this, and for a few reasons. We've shown we won't be pushed around. Players leave on our terms and we get the fee we want. We don't tend to lose more than one big player per season. Our recruitment is so strong that we can often replace players with similar or better quality without breaking the bank. Also, the more success we have, the less likely players will want to jump ship. On top of all that, clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal look less appealing these days. If that trend continues, then there's even less chance we'll be losing players to domestic rivals.

I can't find too much to worry about going wrong, either. The main thing is the manager. It won't be easy to replace Rodgers should he leave, although he is showing everyone the quality in this squad, and there will be a lot of managers around who think it might be an easy, low-pressure gig to get. It looks easy to over-achieve here, I'm sure. I think there will be a bigger pool of good managers to pick from than there was when we appointed Brendan.

That podcast with Paul Balsom was very reassuring. Listening to that, it was clear to me that the people behind the scenes really know what they're doing. The club is set up so that the manager isn't able to rip everything up. It sounds like the scouting, training and sports science we have is world class, and it's set in stone. The club's foundations are rock solid.

In case you haven't heard it, here's the podcast... https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/8-paul-balsom-to-premier-league-beyond-leicester-city/id1458881321?i=1000455600782

It could all go tits-up, of course, but I'm a Leicester fan. For most of my life, that's been the norm. So be it if that happens. However, this is an unbelievably good time to follow the club, and I'm going to allow myself to get a little bit carried away sometimes.

Great post right up until the last line. Spoken like a true city fan. :scarf:There have been so many false dawns over the years and every so often we have seemed to be on the brink of something special but have had the rug of reality pulled out from under us. I don't know why but this time I just feels a bit different. Its not just that we have a good crop of young talent, or a great manager, we have had those before, but we also have great owners and people running the club and all at the same time for once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Great post right up until the last line. Spoken like a true city fan. :scarf:There have been so many false dawns over the years and every so often we have seemed to be on the brink of something special but have had the rug of reality pulled out from under us. I don't know why but this time I just feels a bit different. Its not just that we have a good crop of young talent, or a great manager, we have had those before, but we also have great owners and people running the club and all at the same time for once.

Thanks! lol Yeah, I know - I have to pinch myself sometimes these days, but then I feel almost like this is the reward for all those years when we were hopeless. The Levein years and Mad Dog Allen's trolley dash in Lidl were sent to teach us never to take anything for granted. Toughens you up a bit, at least!

You're right - it does feel different to false dawns of the past. I think I might know why, as well. It seems sustainable this time. Although we are a small fish at the top end of the table, I think we're well-equipped to handle the situation, and the longer we can do that, the fatter the fish we become. There's a training ground to rival any in the world on the horizon, and a considerably bigger stadium to look forward to after that.

If I was to let myself get carried away again for a moment, I might say we are taking small steps towards becoming one of the bigger boys. How far we can get, I don't know, but I think it's safe to say we are climbing slightly above the bracket we had been in for a long time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Thanks! lol Yeah, I know - I have to pinch myself sometimes these days, but then I feel almost like this is the reward for all those years when we were hopeless. The Levein years and Mad Dog Allen's trolley dash in Lidl were sent to teach us never to take anything for granted. Toughens you up a bit, at least!

You're right - it does feel different to false dawns of the past. I think I might know why, as well. It seems sustainable this time. Although we are a small fish at the top end of the table, I think we're well-equipped to handle the situation, and the longer we can do that, the fatter the fish we become. There's a training ground to rival any in the world on the horizon, and a considerably bigger stadium to look forward to after that.

If I was to let myself get carried away again for a moment, I might say we are taking small steps towards becoming one of the bigger boys. How far we can get, I don't know, but I think it's safe to say we are climbing slightly above the bracket we had been in for a long time.

Well said.  My sentiments exactly. it really does feel a bit different this time. 2016 was great but I think deep down we all knew it was a one off at the time. It was a surprise and we were living in the moment. This time we have a long term plan both on and off the field. As you say maybe this is Karma for all the suffering over the years.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 14:09, Raw Dykes said:

I think you might be right.

There's so much to be optimistic about. Most of the first XI are around 22. They'll be coming into their prime in about 4 years. Although it's very early days, they're already challenging at the top of the table, so it's actually a bit scary what they could be capable of in a few years' time if they stay together. There may well be one or two who move on each season, but I'm not too worried about this, and for a few reasons. We've shown we won't be pushed around. Players leave on our terms and we get the fee we want. We don't tend to lose more than one big player per season. Our recruitment is so strong that we can often replace players with similar or better quality without breaking the bank. Also, the more success we have, the less likely players will want to jump ship. On top of all that, clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal look less appealing these days. If that trend continues, then there's even less chance we'll be losing players to domestic rivals.

I can't find too much to worry about going wrong, either. The main thing is the manager. It won't be easy to replace Rodgers should he leave, although he is showing everyone the quality in this squad, and there will be a lot of managers around who think it might be an easy, low-pressure gig to get. It looks easy to over-achieve here, I'm sure. I think there will be a bigger pool of good managers to pick from than there was when we appointed Brendan.

That podcast with Paul Balsom was very reassuring. Listening to that, it was clear to me that the people behind the scenes really know what they're doing. The club is set up so that the manager isn't able to rip everything up. It sounds like the scouting, training and sports science we have is world class, and it's set in stone. The club's foundations are rock solid.

In case you haven't heard it, here's the podcast... https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/8-paul-balsom-to-premier-league-beyond-leicester-city/id1458881321?i=1000455600782

It could all go tits-up, of course, but I'm a Leicester fan. For most of my life, that's been the norm. So be it if that happens. However, this is an unbelievably good time to follow the club, and I'm going to allow myself to get a little bit carried away sometimes.

Excellent post. I share your optimism (and the niggling concerns on the last line lol).

As the other Urban @urban fox points out in his own reply, we've had so many false dawns over the years with either brilliant managers or brilliant players, all at different times and never quite the full package (I remember O'Neill pointing out to Gary Lineker in an interview once that he'd had 4 chairmen to deal with in 3 years, usually it's the other way around!). This is why having Vichai, Top, Susan and Rudkin is so overwhelmingly important. They've made us unbelievably strong behind the scenes to make sure that we develop and recruit excellently (with full credit to Pearson, Shakey and Walsh for their roles too) but can also stand our ground when it comes to teams sniffing around our players.

A definite trend I've noticed is that so many teams have come up from the Championship - us in the late 90's, Bolton, Wigan, Fulham, Portsmouth, Stoke, Palace, West Brom, West Ham, Watford, Palace, Sunderland, Southampton - achieved mid-table for a few years, occasionally flirted with the top 8 and/or European football, then fallen into backroom chaos and been relegated. Some recover (like us, eventually), some become yo-yo clubs (Fulham, West Ham, Newcastle, Norwich etc), while some others disappear into total mediocrity, bedlam and obscurity (Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Portsmouth. See also: Forest and Derby, lol).

Southampton is the most important example of the lot and one that we should be (and I believe have) learning lessons from. Just look at the players they've had/developed in the last 15 years, that have been snatched up by the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool:

Walcott, Chambers, Oxlaide-Chamberlain to Arsenal,

Shaw & Schneiderlin to Man Utd,

Bale, Alderweireld, Wanyama to Spurs,

Clyne, Lovren, Van Dijk, Lallana, Mane, Lambert - - SIX ****ing players in the space of FOUR YEARS and THREE of them in the SAME ****ING WINDOW.

They're now reaping the rewards of that, having plundered that money or terrible recruitments, while also losing managers to Spurs and Everton, making terrible managerial decisions too; now they're in a relegation scrap for the 3rd season running and have just been twatted 9-0 at home to Leicester City. Dreadful leadership at the top, no forward planning, no idea of what could have been if they'd had some backbone.

We have a glorious opportunity here, especially as the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and now Spurs are in utter turmoil.

And we've got not only the best owners in the world, but one of the brightest young managers in the game and a crop of outstanding young players.

And we have the strength to keep them until our exorbitant fees are met.

And we can still replace them if they leave.

This is our time now. I can't wait to enjoy seeing us do it.

• Thanks 3

Guest Markyblue

Yes it's a optimistic time, but to proceed and grow a much bigger kp is required.  Until we expand we will be seen as ripe to cherry pick by the so called bigger clubs. Think big ,act big the time is now.

47 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Yeah bang on, we're still the luckiest fans in the world, like i remember after we'd won it and playing in champs league those nights, wow, but i remember thinking then.. this is as good as it'll ever be, if we get relegated next year or the year after, it would be a shame but also, at least we've been here.

You look at us now, we're actually maybe better, stronger, got more of a furure, it's bonkers, feel a bit sorry for everyone else to be honest. I don't even mind if we sell some of the stars (ex Vardy) i used to be terrified we'd lose this player or that, like back when Little took Joachim and Draper to Villa or when Mahrez and Kante went, i felt like the club would fall apart, now for example if Madds went, I'd be excited to see who we'd get in to replace him or would it be someone from the academy, either way I'm sure it'll work out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Yes it's a optimistic time, but to proceed and grow a much bigger kp is required.  Until we expand we will be seen as ripe to cherry pick by the so called bigger clubs. Think big ,act big the time is now.

I'm sure it's on the way. It'll be a bigger priority once the training ground is complete.

I do think it is important, mainly because there a lot of fans and potential fans who currently can't get a ticket for love nor money. While I agree that it probably does affect how big we are perceived to a lot of people, I don't think it's the be-all-and-end-all. A 40-odd thousand seater won't suddenly put an end to unwanted bids coming in for our players. It will make a statement about where the club is heading, though. It will help keep and attract players, managers and backroom staff. Definitely.

I'm hoping it will be at least 1 seat bigger than Villa Park (42,785), making it the biggest in the midlands. I think they have plans to expand, themselves, though. As long as it's bigger than Derby's and Forest's, I'm happy.

8 hours ago, Koke said:

Allardyce claims he could have signed Vardy for West Ham.

He said: “When I was at West Ham and I needed some goals Mickey Mellon, who played for me, he’s a brilliant manager and he is at Tranmere now.

“But he rang me up and he said ‘We can’t sign Jamie Vardy; he won’t stay with us Sam. Give us a million quid and it will be the best signing you have ever made..

'And that was quite a bit of money for a non-league player, I’m talking 2011, in my first season at West Ham.

“I just wondered if Jamie could jump out of the conference and come in for our first year of the Premier League.

“So I didn’t do it and I have been kicking myself ever since because he went to Leicester instead with Nigel [Pearson] and [Craig Shakespeare] Shakey.”

Just as well for him (and us) that he didn't go to West Ham. Not sure how they would've managed him during his early first couple of 'difficult' seasons when he lost confidence and nearly dropped back to where he came from. Pearson, Shakey and Vichai  were his career saviours and as fans we gave him time (I know that some, probably most, had doubts but I don't remember anyone getting on his back). It could've been very different had he ended up with Allardyce and then nobody would be talking about regret now.

57 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I have to disagree here. I honestly don't see the rush with the stadium. The training ground is much more crucial to player recruitment, development and improving all aspects of training. 

The stadium will be worth the wait.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Accounts confirm Celtic received £8.8m for Brenda as he sought return to mediocrity
 By TOM MCNEIL  6 November, 2019 No Comments

It’s funny to see the English press absolutely drooling over Brendan Rodgers and his Leicester team just now. Things are going quite well, but it’s almost like they’ve totally forgotten about his history.

His teams always start well before starting to fade. It happened at Reading, Swansea, Liverpool and even at Celtic. It’s not clear if the opposition work out how to play against him or if his players just start to give up on him.

His smug faux-intelligent appearance and approach can’t last forever. Liverpool completely collapsed after a while and few would bet against it happening again.

Leicester are doing well, but let’s not forget they’re a big distance away from the top of the league and the bigger teams are starting to sort themselves out. If Arsenal, Man United and Spurs sort themselves out then Leicester will be headed straight back for mid table irrelevancy.

Time will tell if he actually manages to break his regular cycle and goes on to be a long term success down south. One thing for sure is Celtic managed to get a decent amount of compensation for him.

According to a report by Leicester Mercury, The Foxes paid a sum of £8.8m to take Rodgers and his management team from Glasgow.

Who would you rather spend the money on?

When you consider that Sky Sports reported that Celtic paid around £9m to sign Eddy from PSG, that sum for Rodgers looks like a brilliant piece of business from Celtic’s point of view.

Eddy will only go on to increase his value and make the club a giant profit. Rodgers has a history of fizzling out after two seasons. Let’s see in a couple of seasons who made the better investment.

https://thecelticstar.com/accounts-confirm-celtic-received-8-8m-for-brenda-as-he-sought-return-to-mediocrity/

lollollol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, davieG said:

Accounts confirm Celtic received £8.8m for Brenda as he sought return to mediocrity

It’s funny to see the English press absolutely drooling over Brendan Rodgers and his Leicester team just now. Things are going quite well, but it’s almost like they’ve totally forgotten about his history.

His teams always start well before starting to fade. It happened at Reading, Swansea, Liverpool and even at Celtic. It’s not clear if the opposition work out how to play against him or if his players just start to give up on him.

His smug faux-intelligent appearance and approach can’t last forever. Liverpool completely collapsed after a while and few would bet against it happening again.

Leicester are doing well, but let’s not forget they’re a big distance away from the top of the league and the bigger teams are starting to sort themselves out. If Arsenal, Man United and Spurs sort themselves out then Leicester will be headed straight back for mid table irrelevancy.

Time will tell if he actually manages to break his regular cycle and goes on to be a long term success down south. One thing for sure is Celtic managed to get a decent amount of compensation for him.

According to a report by Leicester Mercury, The Foxes paid a sum of £8.8m to take Rodgers and his management team from Glasgow.

When you consider that Sky Sports reported that Celtic paid around £9m to sign Eddy from PSG, that sum for Rodgers looks like a brilliant piece of business from Celtic’s point of view.

Eddy will only go on to increase his value and make the club a giant profit. Rodgers has a history of fizzling out after two seasons. Let’s see in a couple of seasons who made the better investment.

https://thecelticstar.com/accounts-confirm-celtic-received-8-8m-for-brenda-as-he-sought-return-to-mediocrity/

Not sure which of Brendan’s two former clubs (and set of fans) I detest more right now - Celtic or Liverpool. So precious, entitled, self-righteous and loathsome the both of them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

lol that Celtic article is so bitter! 

"If Arsenal, Man United and Spurs sort themselves out" - yeah, that looks likely!

And even if all three of those clubs do sort themselves out and storm back up the table, we'd still be... *checks notes*... 6th and headed for European football. Hardly the 'mid-table irrelevancy' the article claims.

Especially seeing as 6th would put us straight into the Europa League group stages, which is one round after Celtic entered the competition... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

But they are not bitter about it :crylaugh:If a miracle happened and they made it into the CL wouldn't you just love to get drawn in the same group. Perhaps we could rotate and send out an academy squad to rest the first team for the hard games