Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

7 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

Incredible stuff. 

I'm going to go against the majority, who said this was one on Filbert Streets greatest games. 

For the most part, Arsenal were the better side and it was a privilege to witness probably the greatest Hatrick in Premier history. 

It was just a breathtaking last 10 minutes. 

I could well be shouted down for this though 😄😄

Not a great game but did include the best hat trick you're likely to see and included us coming back from 3-1 down to draw in the dying seconds.

Are you hard to please?

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 09:47, Koke said:

Allardyce claims he could have signed Vardy for West Ham.

He said: “When I was at West Ham and I needed some goals Mickey Mellon, who played for me, he’s a brilliant manager and he is at Tranmere now.

“But he rang me up and he said ‘We can’t sign Jamie Vardy; he won’t stay with us Sam. Give us a million quid and it will be the best signing you have ever made..

'And that was quite a bit of money for a non-league player, I’m talking 2011, in my first season at West Ham.

“I just wondered if Jamie could jump out of the conference and come in for our first year of the Premier League.

“So I didn’t do it and I have been kicking myself ever since because he went to Leicester instead with Nigel [Pearson] and [Craig Shakespeare] Shakey.”

I really think it's quite plausible that if he'd made that signing, he'd have worked out precisely how he suspected he would've done (for the reason Allardyce didn't sign him). Vardy's been backed by Leicester during some very easy times to get rid of him. We've made each other in a way. The perfect storm of a signing.

Lots of clubs, and managers would've given up on Vardy after that first year here. Thank god we didn't.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

It was one of the greatest games at Filbert Street, for all the reasons you gave. A great Arsenal side, Bergkamp's hat trick, and a comeback and finale that epitomised the O'Neill era.

I remember Bergkamp's 2nd goal from my vantage point in the kop, seeing him free at the corner of our penalty area and shouting out he needed marking. Oh well!

What I meant was for about 80 minutes, it was a pretty average game and the arse were 2-0 up and nothing much was happening. 

The amount of times Bergkamp was standing unmarked, on the edge of our area, was ridiculous. 

Everyone in the Kop was shouting about this and he had quite a few near misses before he pinged one in the top corner, for his 2nd.

Loved the way the arsenal fans were celebrating at 3-2 in injury time, only to look like they'd lost a family member after Walshies equaliser😄

I travelled up with an arsenal fan and he had the worst, knitted by your nan jumper on ever, and I saw him walking up the steps of the away end looking devastated 😄😄😄

Ahhh the memories 💙💙💙

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7665481/How-Brendan-Rodgers-Leicester-force-taking-reins.html

How Brendan Rodgers has made Leicester a force again since taking over the reins

If Liverpool and Leicester win their matches this weekend, Leicester will be above Manchester City in the table with nearly a third of the season gone. 

In less than nine months, a team drifting under Claude Puel has become one of the most impressive in the country. 

It is not difficult to see the catalyst: since the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager last February, the club has been on a steep upward curve. 

Here, Sportsmail looks at the secrets behind the revolution.

Brendan Rodgers has brought a smile back to Leicester after a poor spell under Claude Puel

Brendan Rodgers has brought a smile back to Leicester after a poor spell under Claude Puel

Management

When Rodgers arrived with his trusted lieutenants — assistant Chris Davies, first-team coaches Kolo Toure and Adam Sadler, head physiotherapist Dave Rennie and head of fitness Matt Reeves — last February, he delivered a presentation to the players about exactly what was expected of them. 

It seems he is getting the balance right: midfielder Wilfred Ndidi, one of many who has thrived under Rodgers, describes him as a 'friend, father, boss'. 

Rodgers is keen on individual coaching, too, and has spent considerable time with James Maddison — one of the league's best midfielders this season — working on his tactical discipline and individual pressing. 

Speak to anyone at Leicester about the change in environment since Rodgers replaced Claude Puel in February and one phrase is repeated – 'high standards'. 

Players are given every chance to succeed but if they are not deemed to be working as hard as possible, they will soon be shown the door. 'You always try to create a culture where anyone can improve, whether it's young or old players,' says Rodgers. 

'It's there for you if you want to improve and we'll work our damnedest to make you better. If you want to do it you'll improve. If not you won't be here anyway.'

Rodgers brought Kolo Toure (second left) and Chris Davies (far left) with him to the club

Rodgers brought Kolo Toure (second left) and Chris Davies (far left) with him to the club

Tactics

Like many managers of his generation, Rodgers is a devotee of the Barcelona/Dutch school of football advanced by Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff. 

One of the former Liverpool and Celtic boss' key ideas is the 'counter press' and he demands the ball be won back before the opposition have completed four passes. To hone this skill, Leicester do rapid exercises where a point is awarded to the circle of six players when they complete four passes, and one to the two in the middle if they win it back before this has been achieved. 

The size of the pitch is altered through the week to suit different exercises. Rodgers believes strongly in 4-3-3 but wants his players to be flexible enough to drift between that and 4-1-4-1 – with Ndidi as the holding midfielder and Vardy the lone forward – or 4-5-1. 

The 46-year-old will indulge creative players, like Philippe Coutinho, James Forrest and Maddison, but not at the expense of the needs of the team. 

Leicester's full backs are a potent attacking weapon – Ricardo Pereira and Ben Chilwell can often be found in the opposition penalty area and the results are proof it is working. Pereira has scored twice this term, while Chilwell has a goal and three assists.

Ricardo Pereira (left) and Ben Chilwell (right) are vital when it comes to creating attacks

Ricardo Pereira (left) and Ben Chilwell (right) are vital when it comes to creating attacks

Preparation

At present, Leicester are at a significant disadvantage from the rest of the elite, as their training ground is far smaller and more modest than the bases at Manchester City or Tottenham. 

All that is about to change when the club move to their new £100million facility at Charnwood, eight miles north of the city, in time for the start of next season. 

The centre covers 185 acres, features state-of-the-art outdoor and indoor pitches and recovery equipment, and also has a nine-hole golf course. It should be ideal for a coach like Rodgers, who plans every session in ferocious detail. Folder upon folder of colour-coded documents chart every stint. 

Rodgers prefers short, sharp bursts to long sessions. Individual drinks stations are prepared for each player before sessions, to monitor exactly how much they are taking on board and to reduce the chances of infection being passed around the squad. 

Players talk positively about the 'flow' of the sessions and the ball is used virtually throughout as Rodgers sees little sense in running for running's sake. 'People ask me 'Why don't you go on runs through the woods?' Rodgers once said. 'Well, I've never seen a tree on a football field.'

Rodgers puts a lot of thought into his training sessions which has pleased his players

Rodgers puts a lot of thought into his training sessions which has pleased his players

Transfers

There is a strong element of luck to any transfer campaign but Leicester have got enough right in recent times to suggest things are working as they should. 

The Foxes tried and failed to sign James Tarkowski from Burnley in the summer when they became resigned to losing Harry Maguire, which gave Caglar Soyuncu his chance – and the Turkish centre back has taken it brilliantly. 

The other deals that jump out are the £32m for Youri Tielemans, the £3.5m for Jonny Evans and the £22m for Ricardo Pereira.

At their current rate of progress, Leicester are a hugely attractive destination. A place where the pressure is not as high as at the traditional top six, but where you can compete for Champions League football and — whisper it — put yourself in line for an eventual move to one of Europe's elite. 

Rodgers brought head of recruitment Lee Congerton south after working with him successfully at Celtic, while director of football Jon Rudkin is also an influential figure, with chief executive Susan Whelan dealing with financial negotiations. 

The club's chairman, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, is an active participant in discussions and no player can be signed or sold without his say-so.

Leicester have managed to prise talented players such as Youri Tielemans to the club

Leicester have managed to prise talented players such as Youri Tielemans to the club

Future

Rodgers is already looking at how Leicester might make the route from the academy to the first team easier to follow, even though the Foxes have already brought players like Chilwell and Harvey Barnes through to the first team from the academy. 

He wants all teams to adopt a style of play that mirrors the one he uses for the first team. 

At the moment, even though Leicester's Under 23 side are enjoying good results under Steve Beaglehole, their way of playing is quite different from the passing, pressing game preferred by Rodgers. 

Away from the pressure cooker environment, the Northern Irishman appears happy and relaxed – yet if he continues to have this impact on Leicester, he is certain to figure strongly in the thoughts of top clubs when they next change managers. 

What would Saturday's opponents Arsenal look like now if they had chosen Rodgers, rather than Unai Emery, to lead the post-Arsene Wenger era? 

Meanwhile, Vardy is in the form of his life but he turns 33 in January and, at some stage, will have to be replaced. The matter is too sensitive to be discussed publicly but it is inconceivable that Leicester have not thought about it.

Jamie Vardy continues to score goals for fun but will need replacing in the near future

Jamie Vardy continues to score goals for fun but will need replacing in the near future

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, brucey said:

Jamie Vardy settled the contest in the 88th minute and went trotting off in front of the Palace support, flapping his terrible wings in a flagrant display of contempt for their beloved mascot Kayla the Eagle, deeply deviant behaviour from a footballing dungeon master whose kinks get deeper and darker each week. Condolences to anyone connected to Arsenal Football Club at this difficult time. Lord knows what cruel and unusual punishment Vardy has in store for the Gunnersaurus this weekend.'

Lol I did find that quite funny :giggle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can you guess which set of fans said this?

"I still fancy us to do em if we played them now. I also think we will be very close or above them end of the season. We are now showing signs of clicking as a team and feel we will close that gap. Tbf I hate Leicester["

Just now, Koke said:

"I still fancy us to do em if we played them now. I also think we will be very close or above them end of the season. We are now showing signs of clicking as a team and feel we will close that gap. Tbf I hate Leicester["

Is it Tottenham coming for us? 

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

Not Ole is it :ph34r:lol

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

Screenshot_20191109-211826_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, HitchinFox said:

I've thought this a number of times over the past five years, since we came up to the Prem. 

Not sure what his beef is, but he really seems to dislike us. 

Alan, do yourself a favour and take your massive nose and the rest of your face out of your arse, mate. We still love you. Accept that we're going to be around for a bit. Enjoy it. Embrace it. After all, had we not given you a chance, you'd be working in accountancy in Birmingham. You boring, really-good-at-football fooking twat. 

He's fine when we're not playing Arsenal so I don't think he necessarily has beef with us. I just think he really, really, really loves Arsenal - and that came across as obvious in his commentary.

Just having a gander on the Arsenal forum. 

Quite a bitter bunch which I didn’t have them down as, I’m surprised.

A lot of Palace remarks about us seemed balanced despite us winning last week. Arsenal though, come on lads...some of you are appearing deluded. Seriously. I know it’s very hard to admit defeat but slagging us off simply because you lost? Really?