Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Accounts confirm Celtic received £8.8m for Brenda as he sought return to mediocrity
 By TOM MCNEIL  6 November, 2019 No Comments

It’s funny to see the English press absolutely drooling over Brendan Rodgers and his Leicester team just now. Things are going quite well, but it’s almost like they’ve totally forgotten about his history.

His teams always start well before starting to fade. It happened at Reading, Swansea, Liverpool and even at Celtic. It’s not clear if the opposition work out how to play against him or if his players just start to give up on him.

His smug faux-intelligent appearance and approach can’t last forever. Liverpool completely collapsed after a while and few would bet against it happening again.

Leicester are doing well, but let’s not forget they’re a big distance away from the top of the league and the bigger teams are starting to sort themselves out. If Arsenal, Man United and Spurs sort themselves out then Leicester will be headed straight back for mid table irrelevancy.

Time will tell if he actually manages to break his regular cycle and goes on to be a long term success down south. One thing for sure is Celtic managed to get a decent amount of compensation for him.

According to a report by Leicester Mercury, The Foxes paid a sum of £8.8m to take Rodgers and his management team from Glasgow.

Who would you rather spend the money on?

When you consider that Sky Sports reported that Celtic paid around £9m to sign Eddy from PSG, that sum for Rodgers looks like a brilliant piece of business from Celtic’s point of view.

Eddy will only go on to increase his value and make the club a giant profit. Rodgers has a history of fizzling out after two seasons. Let’s see in a couple of seasons who made the better investment.

https://thecelticstar.com/accounts-confirm-celtic-received-8-8m-for-brenda-as-he-sought-return-to-mediocrity/

I mean, he's not wrong though is he? Receiving £8.8m for a manager who's job could be filled by any tw*t in a Glasgow park is good business.

In fact "Eddy" could well be Eddy from Customer Services, he'd still be knocking in 20+ goals in that league.

Guest Eamonn
2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

They’re chuffed with £8.8m for what was the best asset at the club. 

In reality, they’ve become a feeder club for mid-table PL teams. In Glasgow, they’re still a European powerhouse. 

I’d be bitter too. lol

Is there a more deluded set of fans than those at Celtic? Lennon did a great job for us but there wasn't a long queue for him before they reappointed him.

Edited by Eamonn
typo

31 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Couldn't ask for a better football club to follow. Feel sorry for fans of any other club. Any other club. They don't know what they're missing.

...and the positive effect is that kids don't need to buy the merchandise and attach themselves to some other club from a different place. Why would they need to when their own club is so good and accessible.

• Like 2

On 05/11/2019 at 08:52, Finnegan said:

Wrighty has always been a fan. 

One of the few pundits back in 15/16 to actually accept we were a good team and not some sort of picture book freak miracle. 

He's a fan of Vardy because he recognises he's a top striker not because he's some Roy of the Rovers happy story. 

Not sure Wrighty was a fan THAT night of the 3-3 when Walshie run to the Arsenal bench in injury time😄😄

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Eamonn said:

Is there a more deluded set of fans than those at Celtic? Lennon did a great job for us but there wasn't a long queue for him before they reappointed him.

Hope they can keep the Upper Deck of Celtic Park open.

Rodgers opened that deck by creating excitement for the supporters. Closed for I don't know how long before he arrived.

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

But they are not bitter about it :crylaugh:If a miracle happened and they made it into the CL wouldn't you just love to get drawn in the same group. Perhaps we could rotate and send out an academy squad to rest the first team for the hard games 

You never know. Rodgers got them to the group stages twice. Before the CEO Lawwell started hiding the profits in his mattress.

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

But they are not bitter about it :crylaugh:If a miracle happened and they made it into the CL wouldn't you just love to get drawn in the same group. Perhaps we could rotate and send out an academy squad to rest the first team for the hard games 

Oh **** no.  First team and give them a thumping.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Accounts confirm Celtic received £8.8m for Brenda as he sought return to mediocrity

Leicester are doing well, but let’s not forget they’re a big distance away from the top of the league and the bigger teams are starting to sort themselves out. If Arsenal, Man United and Spurs sort themselves out then Leicester will be headed straight back for mid table irrelevancy.

https://thecelticstar.com/accounts-confirm-celtic-received-8-8m-for-brenda-as-he-sought-return-to-mediocrity/

Cant be a proper journo - repeats the same phrase in the following sentence .... mind you, a Scotsman perhaps finds it tough to write English ......

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

Absolutely! It's hard to imagine any kid in the county who's just getting into football right now not picking us as their team.

I bet there's been plenty of Leicester-based, glory-grabbing dads trying to encourage their kid to become a Man Utd or Arsenal fan, and they've been unintentionally schooled hard by their own offspring, just by using basic logic. The sort of logic and reason that you have before you get sucked into becoming a fan.

I hadn't given it much thought, but if we can carry on this sort of success, glory supporting in the county could all but die out eventually. You'd have to be off your nut to pick Man Utd over Leicester right now if you're from Leicester. Man Utd fans must get the piss ripped out of them daily in Leics. schools, surely? Just imagine. They'll be no end of converts. It could have a huge effect. If you think about how many glory hunters there were at your school, and imagine most of them would probably be Leicester fans if it was today. It's a seismic shift. We're going to need a bigger stadium.

I'm guessing there's plenty of royal blue shirts around Derbyshire, Notts and Cov these days, as well. What a time to be alive!

I think that probably depends on your age. it is a bit of a millennial thing i think since the advent of the premier league.  There would always be a smattering, but when i was at school nearly everyone supported City (and we didn't even have a football team, strictly Rugby and cricket). That said we were a decent side in the seventies and we watched star soccer on a sunday afternoon which was a regional ITV programme so plenty of exposure for local teams. Can't blame some of the "snowflakes" for turning to the man utds etc as they were playing some great football while we were in all honesty pretty sh*te for an entire generation of teenagers.

In year 7 in a cohort of about 200 there was about 5 March going fans. Now that number would 3 or 4 times higher if they could get tickets. Our progress won’t always be as stratospheric so we need to expand the ground whilst we’re on the up to build a bigger and longer term fanbase.

If I never went as a kid (my first games were around the mid 2000s, what a treat the football was lol) there’s no way I’d be interested in following a club.

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I've always been if the opinion that at some point, we'd revert to type. Back in 2014 and promotion, I was hoping at best for a 20 year PL stay, just bobbing about.

But I am starting to wonder if the club is changing its DNA. Chelsea did and are probably the nearest example of converting from middle rankers to big team. And prove its possible.

They were what West ham are now. Then owner Ken Bates recruited Glenn Hoddle and started spending Matthew Harding's money. They won F A Cups and the European cup winner's cup(I miss that old beauty of a trophy) and only then did Abramovic come in and set alight the turbo chargers

Basically, are we in the process of becoming a Europe wide known provincial team like Schalke or Sampdoria or Valencia?

I'd agree with most of that, sauf the last part. Sampdoria have a nutter for an owner and are living off past glory days, and are Serie A mediocrity personified. A bit like West Ham in the Premier League.

Schalke I have little sympathies for, maybe most for missing out on winning the Bundesliga title in 2000/2001 on the very last second on the very last day. Other than that, and I'm exaggerating here, they are the one Bundesliga team that always finishes second, but never first. Bit like Tottenham.

I'd also compare Schalke to Yorkshire teams due to the mining connection.

If we can emulate Valencia's domestic success, that'd be sweet. They tend to play great football. Win the league a few more times, play in Europe more or less regularly and maybe one day aspire to win a European title. There's also similarities between the two clubs based on the change of ownership. Peter Lim strikes me as committed as the Srivaddhanaprabhas.

The team I'd look to as a comparison the most is Montpellier in France.

14 hours ago, davieG said:

It’s funny to see the English press absolutely drooling over Brendan Rodgers and his Leicester team just now. Things are going quite well, but it’s almost like they’ve totally forgotten about his history.

His teams always start well before starting to fade. It happened at Reading, Swansea, Liverpool and even at Celtic. It’s not clear if the opposition work out how to play against him or if his players just start to give up on him.

His smug faux-intelligent appearance and approach can’t last forever. Liverpool completely collapsed after a while and few would bet against it happening again.

Time will tell if he actually manages to break his regular cycle and goes on to be a long term success down south. One thing for sure is Celtic managed to get a decent amount of compensation for him.

According to a report by Leicester Mercury, The Foxes paid a sum of £8.8m to take Rodgers and his management team from Glasgow.

When you consider that Sky Sports reported that Celtic paid around £9m to sign Eddy from PSG, that sum for Rodgers looks like a brilliant piece of business from Celtic’s point of view.

Eddy will only go on to increase his value and make the club a giant profit. Rodgers has a history of fizzling out after two seasons. Let’s see in a couple of seasons who made the better investment.

Celtic are carrying on like a bitter ex girlfriend.  Just give it up you loons. 

Brendan leaving for little Old Leicester city has highlighted just how insignificant they are as a club and they cannot stand it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I wish i'd have got into this blogging malarkey when it started to become popular.

Just write something controversial with a clickbaiting headline and hey presto, you are a blogger.

Fvck writing it well or putting any critical thinking into it.

17 hours ago, davieG said:

Even if Rodgers does fizzle out, which I doubt, it's touching to know Celtic are worried for us about our £8.8m investment when we could recoup that by selling one of James Maddison's toenails.

• Haha 2

Without going into full lecturing mode, Celtic, being the club of the Irish diaspora, representing a strange mix of fierce Irish/Scottish historical nationalism, will always have an issue with what they see as the imperial English - mostly because of the British (aka English) occupation of Ireland -both before Irish independence and after

It's continually maintained by the Catholic sectarianism in Glasgow and other RC areas of Scotland, which reinforces these beliefs from a very early age (just as Rangers' fans are inculcated into a partisan anti-RC Protestant life).

I did live in Glasgow for a time, and for a mild and effete Englishman, I was surprised by how religiously bigoted society was, and is.

The bottom line is that Celtic, with "illusions of grandeur", to quote a former manager of ours, have been mortally offended by Rogers traitorously scuttling off to the historical enemy, and a smaller club as well. This will rankled for a few decades or so, maybe longer!   

We must hope we don't draw them in the Champions League......

Edited by Fox1970
spelling!
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fox1970 said:

Without going into full lecturing mode, Celtic, being the club of the Irish diaspora, representing a strange mix of fierce Irish/Scottish historical nationalism, will always have an issue with what they see as the imperial English - mostly because of the British (aka English) occupation of Ireland -both before Irish independence and after

It's continually maintained by the Catholic sectarianism in Glasgow and other RC areas of Scotland, which reinforces these beliefs from a very early age (just as Rangers' fans are inculcated into a partisan anti-RC Protestant life).

I did live in Glasgow for a time, and for a mild and effete Englishman, I was surprised by how religiously bigoted society was, and is.

The bottom line is that Celtic, with "illusions of grandeur", to quote a former manager of ours, have been mortally offended by Rogers traitorously scuttling off to the historical enemy, and a smaller club as well. This will rankled for a few decades or so, maybe longer!   

We must hope we don't draw them in the Champions League......

I'd absolutely love to go and watch us beat them at Celtic Park

• Like 4