Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

This...

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has weighed in with his opinion, insisting it was the right call.

“If VAR tells us Son Heung-min was 1.6cm offside, then he is offside. We need to accept that if the camera shows a player to be offside, no matter how small the margin, then the decision will be given. Do we then start not allowing goals which are just 1.6cm over the line? No. This is one aspect of VAR we have to stop complaining about,” he told Sportsmail.

“I have seen the argument that, in such tight situations, the on-field decision should be respected, like umpire’s call in cricket. But this is forgetting the fact that assistant referees have been told to keep their flag down and allow attacking phases to play out — so we do not know if Son would have been flagged offside or not without this instruction.

“As for the suggestion that the VAR system is not 100 percent accurate because of the frame rate, we have to accept that this is the best technology available right now and respect what it shows — even if that is 1.6cm offside.”

Spurs have been saved by VAR on a few occasions, but it didn’t favour them this time around, and manager Mauricio Pochettino will be left gutted.

It doesn’t determine the exact point in time that the ball leaves the player who’s playing the balls foot though.

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It doesn’t determine the exact point in time that the ball leaves the player who’s playing the balls foot though.

I know and I've often commented on that but it's the same for everyone, Spurs have benefited from similar fine margins.

When they improve it everyone will gain.

People should move on and talk about the football, the moves, the sublime passes the glorious goals etc.

48 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Neither can a linesman. 

How can a linesman be looking along the line at the last defender and the player striking the ball at the same split second? 

The answer is they can't. Throughout the history of football, the offside law has been officiated by educated guesswork. 

Now its officiated by extremely accurate camera work. 

Anyone trying to claim what we have now is less accurate than the naked human eye is frankly retarded. 

Yes, they are retarded and i don't think anyone is trying to claim it's less accurate, it's possibly the most accurate system in the world and could probably measure down to angstroms but, it's still crap. We're you there on Saturday, even our own fans were chanting fvck var when spurs' goal was being checked! and that's not right.

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Yes, they are retarded and i don't think anyone is trying to claim it's less accurate, it's possibly the most accurate system in the world and could probably measure down to angstroms but, it's still crap. We're you there on Saturday, even our own fans were chanting fvck var when spurs' goal was being checked! and that's not right.

But people are just idiots and sheep. 

95% of the outrage on Saturday was just people screaming and being indignant over the ref giving genuine fouls. 

49 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That's not what I heard, I heard people chanting VAR, but not f -VAR?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davieG said:

This...

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has weighed in with his opinion, insisting it was the right call.

“If VAR tells us Son Heung-min was 1.6cm offside, then he is offside. We need to accept that if the camera shows a player to be offside, no matter how small the margin, then the decision will be given. Do we then start not allowing goals which are just 1.6cm over the line? No. This is one aspect of VAR we have to stop complaining about,” he told Sportsmail.

“I have seen the argument that, in such tight situations, the on-field decision should be respected, like umpire’s call in cricket. But this is forgetting the fact that assistant referees have been told to keep their flag down and allow attacking phases to play out — so we do not know if Son would have been flagged offside or not without this instruction.

“As for the suggestion that the VAR system is not 100 percent accurate because of the frame rate, we have to accept that this is the best technology available right now and respect what it shows — even if that is 1.6cm offside.”

Spurs have been saved by VAR on a few occasions, but it didn’t favour them this time around, and manager Mauricio Pochettino will be left gutted.

First time anyone ever mentioned Clattenburg in a post and got positive reps.  Amazing work Davie.

• Haha 3

On 24/09/2019 at 09:12, davieG said:

This...

This is exactly what I said to my Spursy mate that and they set the stall out very early on. Sterling's goal that was ruled out in the first game of the season set the precedent. Even if they did agree that VAR is being a bit ridiculous they can't change the rules half way through the season.

This season offside by 0.1mm is offside, and the frame rate is as good as it gets, deal with it.

Next season it might be tweaked but you can't have Sterling's and Aurier's goals ruled out at the start of the season and let the equivalent goal stand later on.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

This is exactly what I said to my Spursy mate that and they set the stall out very early on. Sterling's goal that was rolled out in the first game of the season set the precedent. Even if they did agree that VAR is being a bit ridiculous they can't change the rules half way through the season.

This season offside by 0.1mm is offside, and the frame rate is as good as it gets, deal with it.

Next season it might be tweaked but you can't have Sterling's and Aurier's goals ruled out at the start of the season and let the equivalent goal stand later on.

Extremely relevant .....although they have said that mistakes have been made (eg - Youri being sent off) so when another club suffers in future they will be able to point to double standards of sorts.  But I guess happens during most seasons as referees are given new guidance because something has occurred ......

42 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

“Leicester won the league because Gary Lineker lumped millions into the club that season and everyone knows it”

is that what he said I couldn't understand his strong Glaswegian accent

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

is that what he said I couldn't understand his strong Glaswegian accent

Apparently, them winning the European cup in black and white days and qualifying for Europe every season on the basis of zero domestic competition, then getting dumped out by Romanian part-timers makes them a better team. :giggle:

Never mind that we got further in the UCL in one try than those Glasweigan muppets have managed to do in a good decade. I sh*t you not, that idiot claimed that drawing against Rennes in the Europa was a thing to be proud of. :ph34r:

Edited by OntarioFox