Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 hours ago, Koke said:

TalkSport sometimes just say things to get noticed. However, it is early in the season and I do worry about if/when Vards picks up an injury who will cover and get is the same standard and rate of goals. 

You can't knock the start we had, and I think we're playing the best football I've seen in a long time if not ever. So there is potential. Lets reassess at Christmas, if we're there or there abouts then we have given ourselves a real chance. This is the season if you want to break the mould is the time to do it!

17 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

There's more airtime out of a sinking Newcastle, the problems, the sideshows et al than there is doing a love-in with Leicester.

In fact, I'd argue that love-ins for teams are tedious all round. Problems, negativity, pile-ons, they're things that get people going, get people calling in, tweeting. Think about someone spending 20 minutes to praise Watford or Everton. I wouldn't care. The issues, root causes and potential ramifications for things going wrong at either club, I'm hooked.

I don't get the incessant desire to be loved from our fans. If we get it then great, but we start to sound like paranoid conspiracy theorists when we don't get it and people have "agendas" or not caring. Subscribe to the Athletic, watch The True Fox, spend every waking minute on Foxestalk or listen to Radio Leicester for your echo chamber of Leicester love.

I'm very happy for good performances or form to go under the radar as there will be less distractions. I think most of us know on here know that it only takes 1 loss (not permitting the lpool game) to wipe out any optimism we've built anyway 😂. Too early for me to buy into our top 4 hype!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Who’s that guy on the right? What a dick! Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but he just sounds so bitter about us haha. He’s the one that needs to calm down if he’s so wound up about us having a good team! Probably one of those in the media that cried into their cornflakes when we won the league!

Nobody is all of a sudden basing their top 4 beliefs on one victory over a poor Newcastle side. It’s over a near half season period with Rodgers in charge being in third place of the ‘since then’ table and playing every bit like a top team. Yes we lost to Man Utd but that game was there for the taking and we still are 3 points ahead of them and in much better shape. He only cared to point out our 2 not so positive results this season, not the 4 wins or draw at Stamford Bridge.

He’s right that you’ve always got to be somewhat grounded but when someone who is supposed to be a neutral party is so dismissive of our chances it really winds me up!

15 minutes ago, RutlanderFox said:

Who’s that guy on the right? What a dick! Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but he just sounds so bitter about us haha. He’s the one that needs to calm down if he’s so wound up about us having a good team! Probably one of those in the media that cried into their cornflakes when we won the league!

Nobody is all of a sudden basing their top 4 beliefs on one victory over a poor Newcastle side. It’s over a near half season period with Rodgers in charge being in third place of the ‘since then’ table and playing every bit like a top team. Yes we lost to Man Utd but that game was there for the taking and we still are 3 points ahead of them and in much better shape. He only cared to point out our 2 not so positive results this season, not the 4 wins or draw at Stamford Bridge.

He’s right that you’ve always got to be somewhat grounded but when someone who is supposed to be a neutral party is so dismissive of our chances it really winds me up!

It's Adrian Durham. He's a wind up merchant. Though actually on this occasion there is some truth in what he says. The hype surrounding us is frankly way over the top and way too early in the season. There's a very good chance we will get beaten by Liverpool at the wekend and then we'll be down in around 6th/7th possible if other results go against us. Yes we have some exciting players but they are young in some cases and the season is a 38 game one. We will need to better more consistently to have any chance of the top 4 or 6 in my opinion. Yes we've had some good results but we've not always been that impressive.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Some whoppers in the comment section...CF39A932-A78A-49D2-B932-21B5FD5AC12A.thumb.jpeg.e77ecfe5b03d3dcdea1829ada7863c10.jpeg

Been reading around a lot and the total denial by many “big 6” fans is laughable. They are mostly absolutely convinced their strangle hold cannot be broken and keep writing us off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RutlanderFox said:

Talk sport are Trolls... it was him massively bigging us up about two weeks ago

• Like 1

Guest BlueBrett

Disappointing at OT but still the better team on the day IMO. Maddison was the best player on the pitch by a country mile which in itself is kind of mental when you think of the opposition and history. We should have got a draw at least but just one of those days. 

I think we all knew beforehand the first goal would be key against Newcastle. If Muto had got his foot on that miss hit shot before Ricky's goal it could have been a very different game. Given the overall context it was no surprise things panned out the way they did after they fluffed that and we got ahead relatively early, especially with the atmosphere inside the KP and then the sending off. 

The thing with the media is they have no real opinions. They aren't paid for opinions they're paid for clicks and comment. They aren't crazy, it's only rational for them to look for opportunities to reason out a slightly contrary stance when they can because it gets a bit more attention. They do also look ahead to try to set up potential narratives that have at least semi-plausible continuity. Another reason to make sure they go against the received wisdom at least every once in a while because then whatever happens they can always say 'look, see'.

I think the general mood on the forum and amidst fans in general as far as I can tell from 5000 miles away is pretty much spot on - like you say, we are in a fight for top 4 and it looks a damn even contest. Obviously I watch more of Leicester than I do the other contenders but currently I'm feeling like we might have the edge. One thing we've certainly got over all of them is the level of solidarity and camaraderie within both the squad and the fanbase and I doubt any of us doubt the value of that given recent history.

5 hours ago, Koke said:

Thanks for posting that - perfect reminder as to why i dont listen to talk sport in the afternoon. 

I cannot stand Adrian Durham.  He's the biggest WUM there is, in fact its laughable how obvious his game plan is.  one week he says that Leicester are going to be knocking out the likes of Arsenal, United and Chelsea from the top 6 as it gets their fans to ring in, this week "Leicester need to calm down" to get Leicester fans to ring in.  i swear the bloke gets a cut of the money talkSport make from phone calls.

52 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They do have a slight point though, Newcastle were unbelievably shit and we were very disappointing at Old Trafford. 

The media in this country are nuts, few weeks ago we'd have been lucky to finish 9th again, now we've practically got third wrapped up. They're so bipolar and absolutist it's nuts. 

We're in a fight for fourth absolutely but the coverage since the Spurs win has gone nuts. 

And when we lose against Liverpool and West Ham win it'll be about how the Hammers are in a title race and how Leicester were over rated, you can see it now. Everything in extremes. 

Yep, we are two results away from being frauds. This is the problem with 24 hour media coverage- the need to keep churning out stories.

We had a Champions League squad before the season, then Maguire leaving was a mortal blow, first two games were ok, then a couple of wins got us in the race for top four. The loss at Man United meant we'd probably finish about 11th, the last two games have seen us take at least third. All of our players are now magnificent but no doubt bottlers should we fail to beat Burnley in a few weeks.

We've had seven games, two points per game so far with some good wins, one excellent win, a mixed couple of draws and a poor defeat. We'll have a bad run at some point and I'm sure a very good one too.

I think people have lost the ability to live in the moment and just enjoy things as they happen but instead look to see if this proves an end point. We've got seven months and 31 games to play, there's too much hype both ways.

• Like 2

I mean, I kind of agree with Durham on that one? We do need to stay grounded. We're third on merit at present, but let's be real - Man Utd. were tosh and we surrendered three points against them. I hope that Brodgers has learnt his lesson from that Old Trafford game, because we simply can't be giving teams of any calibre that much respect, let alone the worst Man Utd. squad since the mid 1980s. We've shown that we're the real deal, but only if we actually defend from the front and impose ourselves on opposition regardless of their perceived stature - see Chelsea second half and Spuds for reference.

We play on eggshells, we drop points. It was the same against a garbage Wolves side in the season opener as well - didn't attack the game and VAR ended up saving our blushes from an opening day home defeat.

The frustration is that, with those extra 5 points which I see as dropped, we'd be two behind Liverpool with the chance to go top on Saturday and people like Durham might be giving us a little more hype. But hey ho, I'm still more than happy with our start overall. :scarf:

Edited by OntarioFox

3 hours ago, Koke said:

I think one of the things not mentioned often is after next week will have played 5 of last season's top 7, after just 8 games.

This is true. What let us down last season was our inability to beat the mediocre crap park the bus teams. If we can pick up 3 points against them, especially at home we are in with  a very good shout.

We should pretty much aim to win every home game, no reason why not. We beat Man City at home last year, and I think the year before. 

32 minutes ago, Tommo220 said:

"Leicester need to calm down"

What makes me laugh about comments like this is that it's generally the media that are going nuts with hype and need to calm down. 

"Leicester" are pretty chill. 

• Like 2