Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

To add on the Spurs convo, you realise how little research the pundits do when you read that Spurs have acquired less than 20 points in something like the last 17 games. That’s nearly half of a season. It’s not far off relegation form. But the TV pundits are still raving about them being a great team. Their form says they are really not!

Same basis as Wolves I guess, who are suddenly "back on the rise" thanks to a late equaliser (not winner, equaliser) against the mighty Crystal Palace which lifts them to the heady heights of... 19th. They're still being talked about as top 6 challengers despite having a torrid start to the season that already puts them 6 points off the pace and in the early relegation zone, winless after 6 and showing very little sign of improvement. Frankly, at this point I'm annoyed that we didn't get 3 points in our opener against them. :blink:

All the facts point to there being something very off at Spurs right now. Yes, the VAR decision was ridiculously tight, and we can argue the semantics of the decision until we're blue in the face*, but we comfortably went toe to toe with them and came out on top, and I put that largely down to mentality as much as ability (which I see as pretty even between us, save for a more potent attacking line from them). We can joke and meme about them being "bottlers", but it is honestly happening way too often to them now to be ignored. It really brings into question Pocchetino's ability to steady the ship, and the mentality of a lot of the squad too.

Let's face it, pundits make their minds up before the season begins, and won't change it until it's too late instead of acknowledging the reality in front of them. It took Hazard's equaliser for some of the more stubborn pundits to accept we were going to win the league, for Christ's sake. lol

* Personal tuppence on VAR offsides - kind of ridiculous. Law needs changing to make the feet the point of reference, nothing else. One toe in front? Fair enough, offside. Shoulder? Head? Erect dick? Shouldn't be for me. But the law is the law, and until it changes that's how it is. We both had one go against us, Spuds' was harsh but both correct by the letter of the law. And because they're soft bottlers more interested in their hairline than their mentality on the pitch, their call hit them harder than ours did, and we triumphed.

Edited by OntarioFox

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Goes with all the other inaccuracies and selective assumptions.

'Smash and grab title win' seems quite inaccurate as well. There were a few individual games like that, but we ground it out towards the end. Also I'm not sure an entire 38-game season could ever be described as 'smash and grab'. Jim White :thumbdown:

• Like 2

Spurs were top of the table that season for 13 minutes (which is for what it's worth the entire time they have ever spent at the top of the Premier League).

In what way did they control what happened that year?

Did people actually watch what happened?

We went top in February by winning at Man City and stayed there for the rest of the season, with Spurs at arms length pretty much entirely throughout that period. The biggest scare was us drawing to West Ham while they won at Stoke, while they closed the gap to 5 points for a weekend before it returning to 7 the next one, with just 3 games left.

They weren't in control. It's a complete myth.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Spurs were top of the table that season for 13 minutes (which is for what it's worth the entire time they have ever spent at the top of the Premier League).

In what way did they control what happened that year?

Did people actually watch what happened?

We went top in February by winning at Man City and stayed there for the reason of the season, with Spurs at arms length pretty much entirely throughout that period. The biggest scare was us drawing to West Ham while they won at Stoke, while they closed the gap to 5 points for a weekend before it returning to 7 the next one, with just 3 games left.

They weren't in control. It's a complete myth.

We were also top at xmas before slipping up at Anfield, regained top spot at New year and as you say the rest was history.  All in all, we were pretty much top 4 all season, and once we got our noses properly in front we were in total control of our destiny. The whinging and arrogance of the rest, assuming that we could not possibly do it was a superb motivator I am sure.

As you say how did they think that they were any way shape or form in control. We took four points from them, were always in front of them (Ok give them their 13 minutes of glory) and finished 11 points ahead of them, ten clear points above second placed Arsenal. The fact that they did not finish the season only 5 points behind us is entirely down to the fact that, as usual they bottled it, however they were never going to make the other 5 points up because we kept getting the results. I call that US being in control.

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

People on here who mock the meltdown on other fan forums (ie The Fighting Cock) clearly don't read stuff here, such as the spectacular over reaction after the Man U loss.

I've often thought the same. The reaction we have to other forums is probably exactly what their fans think when they come on here sometimes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

People on here who mock the meltdown on other fan forums (ie The Fighting Cock) clearly don't read stuff here, such as the spectacular over reaction after the Man U loss.

Ah come on Geoff, Partisan and Schadefraude are the two words every dictionary should quote when describing football fans. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

The match thread that day nearly gave me an aneurism. I understood the disappointment but it was as if some of our lot had already put Rodgers and some of our players out to dry. It isn’t a new thing either...it’s been happening consistently every time we go behind for a year or so. 

Quite agree with these points - its very tedious and petulant. Its the main reason I bail out the match threads almost constantly at the mo :(

7 hours ago, brookfox said:

Pereira somehow got in Garth Crooks Players Who Scored At The Weekend Team Of The Week. Maddison as well. 

His "Crooks of the matter" bit at the end is ****ing astonishing.

He goes on one about Maddison. About his ability on the ball? No? How about his screamer to win the game for his team? Nope. Surely it's about how Gareth Southgate must find a spot for him in the England side?

No chance.

He's written a ****ing essay on Maddison's  bag.

"When is a rucksack not just a rucksack? When it costs £6,500!

James Maddison caused a bit of a stir in the BBC Green Room prior to the fixture against Spurs when he was spotted sporting his new Louis Vuitton rucksack. The see-through item looked very interesting not least because we could see everything in it.

I had just arrived at the BBC studios for Final Score to hear a galaxy of star pundits musing over the necessity of such a purchase. I, on the other hand, had just arrived and hearing the fuss picked up a carrier bag and asked the pundits what was wrong with the Leicester and England international using the carrier bag I was now holding in my hand?

I admit it didn't look particularly sophisticated but it was sturdy, retained a certain discretion and was cheap. I asked my fellow pundits would Maddison have created the same sort of interest had he arrived for work with my carrier bag in his hand - much to everyone's amusement.

On reflection I think Maddison carrying a plastic carrier bag with his designer fragrance, special electric toothbrush and hair gel would have caused even more controversy.

There is nothing new in professional footballers making fashion statements; clubs pay them the money and they are entitled to spend it anyway they choose. However there is a price to be paid, as far as the public is concerned, for this type of showmanship and it can prove be very costly.

Players who make such statements have to ask themselves, in the final analysis, is it a price worth paying?"

Apparently, that's the Crooks of the matter. Who knew?

15 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

His "Crooks of the matter" bit at the end is ****ing astonishing.

He goes on one about Maddison. About his ability on the ball? No? How about his screamer to win the game for his team? Nope. Surely it's about how Gareth Southgate must find a spot for him in the England side?

No chance.

He's written a ****ing essay on Maddison's  bag.

"When is a rucksack not just a rucksack? When it costs £6,500!

James Maddison caused a bit of a stir in the BBC Green Room prior to the fixture against Spurs when he was spotted sporting his new Louis Vuitton rucksack. The see-through item looked very interesting not least because we could see everything in it.

I had just arrived at the BBC studios for Final Score to hear a galaxy of star pundits musing over the necessity of such a purchase. I, on the other hand, had just arrived and hearing the fuss picked up a carrier bag and asked the pundits what was wrong with the Leicester and England international using the carrier bag I was now holding in my hand?

I admit it didn't look particularly sophisticated but it was sturdy, retained a certain discretion and was cheap. I asked my fellow pundits would Maddison have created the same sort of interest had he arrived for work with my carrier bag in his hand - much to everyone's amusement.

On reflection I think Maddison carrying a plastic carrier bag with his designer fragrance, special electric toothbrush and hair gel would have caused even more controversy.

There is nothing new in professional footballers making fashion statements; clubs pay them the money and they are entitled to spend it anyway they choose. However there is a price to be paid, as far as the public is concerned, for this type of showmanship and it can prove be very costly.

Players who make such statements have to ask themselves, in the final analysis, is it a price worth paying?"

Apparently, that's the Crooks of the matter. Who knew?

I think all this says a ****ing lot more about the people in the media, obsessed with a sodding backpack than it does about the person wearing said backpack. 

6 minutes ago, Manini said:

I think all this says a ****ing lot more about the people in the media, obsessed with a sodding backpack than it does about the person wearing said backpack. 

all a big part of the media machine - show the paupers the £6500 backpack Maddison bought and stir up a bit of resentment towards a young man spending his money however the **** he likes.

people that call themselves a journalist or a pundit and then spend their time writing about irrelevant, unimportant shit like need to take a good long long in the mirror and ask where it all went wrong.

****ing idiots. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

all a big part of the media machine - show the paupers the £6500 backpack Maddison bought and stir up a bit of resentment towards a young man spending his money however the **** he likes.

people that call themselves a journalist or a pundit and then spend their time writing about irrelevant, unimportant shit like need to take a good long long in the mirror and ask where it all went wrong.

****ing idiots. 

Let’s not kid ourselves.  The ₤500 t-shirts and ₤6K backpacks exist to send the message that the wearer is not one of us.  So they feed the emotional dislike many fans feel for him.  Even codgers like me see plastic on a rich kid’s back that cost as much as our cars, and think dag, a rock has more sense than that boy.

I'm still his staunch defender here -- and have no moral issue with designer gear.  But just in terms of building a public image for a future England international, his agent might want to calm him down on it.  He's hard-working, has good character (Sophie) ...  emphasize that side, and more people will accept if the young man flashes the status on an occasional clubbing night.

OTOH, his agent might prefer him addicted to pricey branded baubles, which could lead to a stronger desire to move to a max-salary branded club at great profit to said agent.

• Like 1