Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

20 hours ago, davieG said:

If he can't get tickets to see Leicester and doesn't live here and regularly watches another team where he gets to know the players, the history and fellow fans I can imagine his interest waning especially if it used to be all encompassing and now it's unobtainable except from a distance.

I say this as someone who can emphasise with it having been born in Chelsea and moving to Leicester when I was 7. Not being able to watch Chelsea, not even on the TV back then and regularly watching Leicester. It all came to a head when we played Chelsea in a League Cup Final and I finally had to choose, I chose Leicester and have been a staunch and regular supporter ever since and feel no attachment to Chelsea what so ever, apart from when the played Spurs in our Championship wining season.

City (not THAT one, OUR one) have always been my team from an early age as a local lad. When I went off to study at Uni in Scotland, I followed Aberdeen and went to a fair few games as I had made friends with some of the local supporters, but my first priority was always to look out for the foxes results and news (couldn't even get English games on MOTD up there then they had their own version, and long before the days of Sky, BT or the internet and streaming etc). Even now, working away from home down south, I have little opportunity to get to games (even I could get a ticket, which as has been pointed out is nigh on impossible) yet my allegiance has never once been threatened, even in the darkest of those wilderness years.

This does not preclude taking an interest in other teams, especially where there is a family or other connection but my blood will always run blue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's admirable what you're doing but I honestly couldn't muster up the motivation to go, maybe could to a much lower team where there's a great community spirit but I've tried over the years when I've lived out of Leics to follow a lower league team to get my Saturday fix but the novelty soon wore off, would much rather just get blathered in the boozer and watch the scores come in.

Ha ha ha. Fair enough and if it wasn't the case that I've got a load of cracking boozers 5 mins walk away from my house and the ground is only 10 mins away I probably also wouldn't muster up the motivation!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonaldinho said:

I'm no Garth Crooks fan but I'm baffled by how our fans treated Maguire (and it was from the start of the match, not midway through as someone suggested.) Indifference with perhaps a clap at the end seems about right to me, since he was always respectful this summer and gave his all for two seasons. I don't understand the need to boo him simply because he played for us and left for a bigger team. 

I agree. I was at the Man U match and didn't really get the booing. Fair enough if you want to chant for a bit of a laugh but the booing seemed harsh. He didn't throw his dummy out of the pram or even make it public that he wanted to leave.

I've never understood why anyone gets pissy about players leaving football clubs anyway. It's a job ffs and who wouldn't leave their job to go to a higher paying one if you knew your career was limited to somewhere in your late 30's

13 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I agree. I was at the Man U match and didn't really get the booing. Fair enough if you want to chant for a bit of a laugh but the booing seemed harsh. He didn't throw his dummy out of the pram or even make it public that he wanted to leave.

I've never understood why anyone gets pissy about players leaving football clubs anyway. It's a job ffs and who wouldn't leave their job to go to a higher paying one if you knew your career was limited to somewhere in your late 30's

I imagine most people don't have a problem with Maguire but he's no longer a Leicester player and so if there's an advantage to be gained by unsettling a player on the opposition team then that's fair game and completely understandable 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

I imagine most people don't have a problem with Maguire but he's no longer a Leicester player and so if there's an advantage to be gained by unsettling a player on the opposition team then that's fair game and completely understandable 

I guess :dunno: I just got the impression fans were a bit salty that he left us for Man U. Wasn't like our fans would boo Kante if he played  against us. 

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

Wasn't like our fans would boo Kante if he played  against us.

I think you might be surprised, there was definitely some of it the first time he came back here for Chelsea. Football fans are broadly quite thick and tribalism means a lot more to them than logic or reason

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Christoph said:

I guess :dunno: I just got the impression fans were a bit salty that he left us for Man U. Wasn't like our fans would boo Kante if he played  against us. 

I don't think fans should have booed, but you can't compare him to Kanté, who is one of our legendary title winners.

As others have suggested I think the reason many have got off him is the United fangirling. I understand him being excited, but it was a bit much.

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe due to their respective achievements? One was arguably the most influential player ever to play for us in an absurd season and another had one great season and one very mediocre season and then left. We finished 9th both seasons he's about as memorable in the history of Leicester as Spencer Prior, in fact at least Prior won something with us.

Maguire can get fcuked.

Also Kante won the the league the following season. Maguire won't do that - different sort of move.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jonaldinho said:

I'm no Garth Crooks fan but I'm baffled by how our fans treated Maguire (and it was from the start of the match, not midway through as someone suggested.) Indifference with perhaps a clap at the end seems about right to me, since he was always respectful this summer and gave his all for two seasons. I don't understand the need to boo him simply because he played for us and left for a bigger team. 

He went on strike, how is that respectful?

Not that I condone booing under any circumstance :whistle:

The booing was definitely the minority. As for the Maguire/Soyunchu song, United fans sing "he f ucked off Leicester for Manchester", that and the fact Maguire has been a PR dream with all the cliche stay stuff he's been saying has been nauseating. During the game he was being a whinging twat as well which (at least I think) he never really did for us.

I can't understand the booing. Maguire made over 60M for us in just 2 seasons. We ripped off Utd and he's probably added another 100k/week to his pay packet. Win win for both parties. 

Edited by sm1
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The booing was definitely the minority. As for the Maguire/Soyunchu song, United fans sing "he f ucked off Leicester for Manchester", that and the fact Maguire has been a PR dream with all the cliche stay stuff he's been saying has been nauseating. During the game he was being a whinging twat as well which (at least I think) he never really did for us.

Every week after the World Cup, usually at a linesman. Just wasn’t noticed as much in a blue shirt. Liked watching him during his time here, but that crept into his game after getting in the England squad 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2019 at 02:57, adam95581 said:

If you’re still there, check out Books Hostel in Lapa. It’s owned by a guy called Felipe and he’s a big Leicester fan...he’s mental though and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t own a shirt

Adam would love to know how you know Felipe? , I use to work at Books and got him supporting Leicester the season of the great escape and even took him to his first game vs Sunderland at the KP the season we won the league.

He does own Leicester shirts he has about 3 of them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Adam would love to know how you know Felipe? , I use to work at Books and got him supporting Leicester the season of the great escape and even took him to his first game vs Sunderland at the KP the season we won the league.

He does own Leicester shirts he has about 3 of them. 

No way! He spoke about you when I was there. I stayed at Books in November 2015 and found out that he supported Leicester when I asked him where I could watch a game...ended up watching it with him in the hostel. 

The point about him not owning a shirt was more of a joke about the fact that he was topless pretty much every day I was there haha...