Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Blimey - someone buy our recruitment team a load of pizza's :appl:

image.thumb.png.a69747f6e9bd2e947d0fbe1e1197d1f1.png

Mahrez is debatable - £60m is hardly a pittance but I still think we got shafted for at least a further £20m. If we'd done Man City up like we did Chelsea and Man Utd then Mahrez would have gone for £100m.

Edited by ealingfox

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Mahrez is debatable - £60m is hardly a pittance but I still think we got shafted for at least a further £20m. If we'd done Man City up like we did Chelsea and Man Utd then Mahrez should have gone for £100m.

I think Mahrez nearly going on strike twice and creeping towards 28 meant asking for £100m was futile, Man City also are bastards for negotiating. We would have got that from Man Utd easily haha

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Mahrez is debatable - £60m is hardly a pittance but I still think we got shafted for at least a further £20m. If we'd done Man City up like we did Chelsea and Man Utd then Mahrez would have gone for £100m.

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Mahrez nearly going on strike twice and creeping towards 28 meant asking for £100m was futile, Man City also are bastards for negotiating. We would have got that from Man Utd easily haha

I think we handled the Mahrez situation excellently. Man City came in on the last but one day of the window so our stance became £90m or **** off. Mahrez has been promised that he could leave for a reasonable fee but Vichai knew that we’d be ripped off for a replacement on the last day of a January window. We proved that we wouldn’t be bullied even if it meant our players going AWOL; we also proved to the rest of the squad that we won’t tolerate that sort of behaviour. 

I agree that we could/should have got more for him in the end but he’d earned a move away and it was time to just take what we could get IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

i get the point about age, but the fact we sold mahrez to the richest club in the world for pretty much the same amount as watford sold richarlison to everton, in the same summer, is ridiculous. we got shafted and he's worth upwards of 100 mill. 

20 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

i get the point about age, but the fact we sold mahrez to the richest club in the world for pretty much the same amount as watford sold richarlison to everton, in the same summer, is ridiculous. we got shafted and he's worth upwards of 100 mill. 

According to Wikipedia, 'Richarlison transferred to fellow Premier League club Everton on 24 July 2018 for a transfer fee starting at £35 million and potentially rising to £50 million'.

That's the 22 year old Richarlison. Who had four years left on his contract.

Edited by turtmcfly

Time to open the transfart forum?

Seems Man Utd fans are convinced that Madders will be linking up with JLingz in the not too distant future.....

....thats some eye bleeding fashion shoots right there**

(According to Ornstein from The Athletic anyway)

** Daft old bugger disclaimer.

Edited by Dahnsouff

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Blimey - someone buy our recruitment team a load of pizza's :appl:

image.thumb.png.a69747f6e9bd2e947d0fbe1e1197d1f1.png

This is obviously the best approach for a club like ours, and thank goodness we have the scouting and analytics resources to make it work.

That said, Spurs are now demonstrating the limits of it.  “Their squad is getting stale”, “Poch has lost the changing room” … eh, maybe it’s just simple economics.   

Levy has always locked his good players up to incentive-laden, club-friendly extensions to maximize the profit when they do move on.  Now the likes of Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen have had enough and held up their middle fingers.  They have long since proven themselves, and are not about to burn themselves out giving 100% to Pochettino’s pressing game.  Get through the next six months, and the fat fees Levy expected to pocket will go to them as signing bonuses.  Spurs' season won't fix itself unless their summer signings can contribute.

It’s 2019 and at some point, most elite players are going to demand market value.  Surely we are offering raises and extensions to the likes of Maddison and Soyuncu.  It will be telling to see which players sign them (though I suppose refusals may not make the news).  They are probably a fair measure of who feels ready to leave.

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

This is obviously the best approach for a club like ours, and thank goodness we have the scouting and analytics resources to make it work.

That said, Spurs are now demonstrating the limits of it.  “Their squad is getting stale”, “Poch has lost the changing room” … eh, maybe it’s just simple economics.   

Levy has always locked his good players up to incentive-laden, club-friendly extensions to maximize the profit when they do move on.  Now the likes of Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen have had enough and held up their middle fingers.  They have long since proven themselves, and are not about to burn themselves out giving 100% to Pochettino’s pressing game.  Get through the next six months, and the fat fees Levy expected to pocket will go to them as signing bonuses.  Spurs' season won't fix itself unless their summer signings can contribute.

It’s 2019 and at some point, most elite players are going to demand market value.  Surely we are offering raises and extensions to the likes of Maddison and Soyuncu.  It will be telling to see which players sign them (though I suppose refusals may not make the news).  They are probably a fair measure of who feels ready to leave.

I see what you are saying, but we aren't like Spurs.

Its not that we "know our place", but you could argue that we recognise the value of the player in terms of fiscal price and their benefit to the whole.

Also, Levy coming the a$$hole on all things wage related is all well and good, but as you say (And the excellent Tifo Football video showed) his determination to focus on infrastructure whilst not updating the playing staff is dangerous and sometimes your principles need to take a backseat for the greater good, or at least sacrifice some family silver (Like Kane or Eriksen) for the benefit of the playing group.

Tifo link if interested 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

The issue Spurs have had is that they've dug their heels in a bit too much and held on to players too long. That was the issue I had with people saying in the summer that we shouldn't sell any of the players, that's great in theory... but eventually you end up with a pissed off squad.

Agree.  And that's the tightrope our board will have to learn to walk, now that we have several players who project to be good enough for top PL and European clubs.

Extensions can be a win-win for young players who haven’t yet banked enough for their financial security.  And just maybe -- a club where you have good young teammates and good coaching, and a family ethos where players feel valued and enjoy coming in to work, is a club young players might not rush to leave.

But you can’t keep them forever.

• Like 1

It probably helps that Top has a connection with the players, he looks after them and knows them as friends rather than as the owner. As far as I'm aware Levy and Spurs don't have that. The family type atmosphere amongst the staff must mean our players are happier, they'll self police at little bit more and might not be as eager to leave otherwise.

The age profile at Spurs is different too, most of our squad know they've got more than a decade left in the game. Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderwiereld are going to have to leave if they want to win things because they certainly aren't at Spurs.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its not that we "know our place", but you could argue that we recognise the value of the player in terms of fiscal price and their benefit to the whole.

Also, Levy coming the a$$hole on all things wage related is all well and good, but as you say (And the excellent Tifo Football video showed) his determination to focus on infrastructure whilst not updating the playing staff is dangerous and sometimes your principles need to take a backseat for the greater good, or at least sacrifice some family silver (Like Kane or Eriksen) for the benefit of the playing group.

Tifo link if interested 

Point well made.  Levy’s stadium-first approach and failure to refresh the squad was an equal contributor to the pickle they’re in.  I didn’t mention it as it’s not relevant to us (I assume the Srivaddanaprabhas are not planning to invest half a billion in the KP extension).

He finally went and refinanced all that debt out to near-infinity, so they can at least invest CL winnings in the squad.  It beggars belief that someone with his shrewd reputation, didn’t do that early enough to buy at least one or two key players in those unused windows.

Maybe he just thought he and his team were smart enough to bring the Toilet Bowl in on time and budget … and to keep extending mature players on the cheap … and got caught out.

A huge miscalculation.

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Tifo link if interested 

Took me a while to realise at 2:34 that that was his knee...

Originally thought it was an overexcited Arsenal fan taking a little too much joy in their downfall.

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Point well made.  Levy’s stadium-first approach and failure to refresh the squad was an equal contributor to the pickle they’re in.  I didn’t mention it as it’s not relevant to us (I assume the Srivaddanaprabhas are not planning to invest half a billion in the KP extension).

He finally went and refinanced all that debt out to near-infinity, so they can at least invest CL winnings in the squad.  It beggars belief that someone with his shrewd reputation, didn’t do that early enough to buy at least one or two key players in those unused windows.

Maybe he just thought he and his team were smart enough to bring the Toilet Bowl in on time and budget … and to keep extending mature players on the cheap … and got caught out.

A huge miscalculation.

But if Spurs could have continued to operate at a top 2-3 level for 2 more years, Levy would have been a genius. :dunno:

Would give him a hug, except I don`t want too :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

The issue Spurs have had is that they've dug their heels in a bit too much and held on to players too long. That was the issue I had with people saying in the summer that we shouldn't sell any of the players, that's great in theory... but eventually you end up with a pissed off squad.

Not just that - they were commended for paying modest wages when they were challenging for titles / putting the pressure on / finishing above Arsenal for the first time in a generation; since they finished second 3 seasons ago they've seen their wages stagnate, little to zero investment in the squad, players like Trippier get a dream move to Atletico and, brilliantly, Kyle Walker has more than trebled his wages at Man City but has also won as many trophies (7) in the last 2 seasons than Spurs have in the LAST FIFTY YEARS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Langston said:

Better with subtitles on, get the Trent End singing this

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 16.13.57.png

Remember the time this fvcking guy farted when they signed Benny.. hahaha I’ll never forget that

• Haha 1