Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves H Post Match Thread 2-0

It seems to me that a lot of the argument about whether or not Vardy's tackle was a red misses the point.

A red can be awarded for a tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force. You can get a red simply for being careless. Vardy's intent, or whether Vardy caught the ball first, is irrelevant. The tackle was, in fact, dangerous to the Wolves player, which makes the referee's decision wholly reasonable and justified. 

Personally, I think it patently unfair to penalize Vardy there when it was the defender's challenge that brought him into the line of fire, it was a bang-bang play that looked very quick even in slow motion, and people acting like Vardy's follow-through was somehow something other than normal are being a bit silly. But the Prem has decided to value player safety over being "fair," which I can certainly understand, so the red is appropriate and consistent with the rules.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Took us a while to get going, the first ten minutes especially were absolutely shocking, Ricardo kept getting caught up the pitch, Evans kept getting beat every single time, if it wasn't for the post and Kasper we could've been 2-0 down. Then we finally got ourselves into the game, the goal came and our confidence grew, after that we dominated.

Second half we had to toughen it out, I thought we defended better with 10 men than when we had 11. Evans got better as the game went on, Maguire was a rock, Schmeichel caught pretty much everything that went into the box.

Wasn't perfect but yet again there were plenty of positives, the partnership of Mendy and Ndidi in particular was magnificent,  Mendy especially was all over the pitch, making tackles, making interceptions, the most impressive thing though was his passing, he was looking to get the ball forward and he hardly gave it away. Ricardo was hit and miss but he's an exciting player to watch, Maddison was similar to last week, good first half, ineffective in the second.

3 points, clean sheet and more positives, happy days :D 

Good review...

A game with a lot of talking points! On paper a 2-0 win despite being down to ten men sounds good and we should recognise that is a good result. 

The game was quite mixed. We started asleep again and should have been at least one down. However, I thought we were good on the ball all game. We have lost Mahrez but the team play is very good. Much better interchange and passing between the lines. Ricardo and Maddison have made a big difference and I think Gray, Ndidi and Chilwell deserve a shout because they have improved their passing considerablely compared to last season. 

Defensively there’s a lot to talk about. We started badly and it concerned me how easily Evans was skinned for pace on 3 occasions in the first half alone. I didn’t expect him to be Vardy fast but if I was another coach looking at us today I’d identify that as something to exploit. At the same time Chilwell dealt well with Wolves trying to exploit him on the diagonal. Multiple teams successfully did this to us last year but he and Gray overall dealt with it well. It was a different story when Traore came on who looked like the man that could haul them back into it but again Chilly did well. Ndidi for me was MOTM (with Chilwell close) and won the game by winning the midfield battle. Neves felt absent and though Moutinho impressed me greatly he never really put that killer ball in despite being highly involved. 

Got to single out Mendy for praise. Can’t even remember when he last started but he was good. He rarely lost the ball, was generally in the right positions and even made some good challenges. His only negatives were sometimes getting muscled off the ball and making the wrong decision at times. He got into the box in great positions at times but never shot and played some weird passes at times. But I expect to see him start next game and he would deserve it. 

I’ve seen the Vardy red card and I’m sorry I don’t think it is one! In real-time I saw it as getting the ball and that’s what it looks like on the replay too. It is very aggressive and has a non league feel to it but it’s hard for me at least to accept that as a red. 

The game was odd because we shithoused our way into a 2-0 lead but then looked in control. Vardy then got sent off but Wolves if anything looked less likely to score! Traore did look very dangerous but they didn’t feed him enough and I never really felt nervous despite being down to ten men. In fact there was some good forward play from us at times that looked far more likely to go in. 

There’s still so much more that could be said but I think we will have another decent season and will be top half quite comfortably. I know a lot of fans don’t like playing it out of the back and possession football but I think we’ve improved quite a bit already and as relationships develop we will get better. Albrighton / Ricardo, Vardy / Madders etc. It’s great Madders is off the mark as we need to share the goals around the team given Riyad leaving. 

Overall despite the poor poor start I felt we looked the better team and deserved to win. For a team with many young players our game management was very good. We didn’t give it away easily too often and still caused a threat on occasion. Overall I’m happy though maybe as an optimistic fan I’m biased!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, vanity said:

It seems to me that a lot of the argument about whether or not Vardy's tackle was a red misses the point.

A red can be awarded for a tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force. You can get a red simply for being careless. Vardy's intent, or whether Vardy caught the ball first, is irrelevant. The tackle was, in fact, dangerous to the Wolves player, which makes the referee's decision wholly reasonable and justified. 

Personally, I think it patently unfair to penalize Vardy there when it was the defender's challenge that brought him into the line of fire, it was a bang-bang play that looked very quick even in slow motion, and people acting like Vardy's follow-through was somehow something other than normal are being a bit silly. But the Prem has decided to value player safety over being "fair," which I can certainly understand, so the red is appropriate and consistent with the rules.

Some will argue that seeing it as a tackle at all is missing the point.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Some will argue that seeing it as a tackle at all is missing the point.

100% it wasn't a tackle by Vardy. It could perhaps be classified as a late challenge by their player seeing that Vardy hit the ball and their player followed through on him.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I think you do need to see it again if you don't think it's a sending off. Here:

It's not a red though, he's played through the ball and the defenders come in late and come off worse. Yes he's caught the defender but by that argument if you take a shot, the defender dives in to block it and you make contact with him, it's a foul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On a whole played well, despite us winning 2-0 we do look quite toothless regarding end product.

We did look abit slow, dodgy, clumsy and suspect at times however and those things are repeatedly happening, but no we played well against a good Wolves team, who also played well and we had to ride our luck against.

No Morgan - Clean sheet...Who'd have though?! :o

Evans is an improvement on Morgan which as I said last week - it's hardly any great yard stick to use as a complement, he did look worrying at time, whether that be lack of match fitness, settling in, age/his injury, I don't know.

But no seriously - We rode our look defensively and we couldn't have bemoaned a Wolves goal had one gone in i'm sure thier zG stats or whatever they are called show a different light on the game for those who were using that a positive for us last week.

Edited by Matt

I'm delighted with that result. Was a bit concerned that we'd get done at home by a Wolves side that have been hyped up so much, especially after that shaky start. They'll be back down to Earth with a bump. That's twice they've played 10 men and only got one point on the board.

I was getting pretty fed up with Puel towards the end of last season. Now I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the future. I think the transfer window was pretty much spot on (yet to see how good the young centre halves are, but still great that we strengthened a weak area), and CP has a good reputation for bringing young players through. I was impressed by his change in tactics before the 1st goal.

Team performance wasn't the best, but there were some glimpses of what we might be able to expect to see more of in the future, and we did shut up shop well with 10 men.

Maddison and Pereira are top class signings, and in our two weakest positions from last season. They will make a huge difference, no doubt. I'd pretty much forgotten all about Mendy, and didn't expect to see him in the team again. Thought he played very well, especially considering how long it's been since he last played. If he stays fit, he could quite easily be a regular starter. Like another new signing. Gray and Chilwell both played well again. I think both are improving.

Vardy's red was disappointing, but at least it gives Ian a run in the team.

Wolves were unimpressive. They started well, but how much of that was down to us being useless, I don't know. They completely buckled after their beauty of a header into their own net, and never seriously threatened after that. I think they might have a pretty tough season.

We're making a habit of starting home games slowly. Needs sorting out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Evans was shocking if that first 20 minutes had been Amarty foxestalk would have exploded.  Out paced, out muscled, out thought and out fought like a kid on his debut.

:appl:Correct.   Evans is not the answer to replacing Wes and some of us need to give Armatey a chance.  He is not a FB.

• Haha 1

To all those people on here confidently asserting Vardy challenge was a red all day long just look at the video replay. He was first to the ball and the Wolves player clashed into him. It’s actually very clear and I have yet to see the rule that states you can be sent off for being first to a ball. Referee’s view was obscured.

I agree the first half hour was poor and Wolves could have been ahead but once we score we were in complete control and very professional. Lots to be positive about and whatever the pundits say Wolves lacked a cutting edge and have lost two games against ten men. 

We were unsure early on as we had 4 new players and Mendy was almost a newcomer so it takes time for them to gel but they grew in confidence as the game progressed. 

Did we miss Mahrez? Not so you’d notice.   Did we defend well? Not at first but looked good with three at back. Did we deserve to win-most definitely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Doctor said:

It's not a red though, he's played through the ball and the defenders come in late and come off worse. Yes he's caught the defender but by that argument if you take a shot, the defender dives in to block it and you make contact with him, it's a foul.

The rule clearly states that excessive force or endangering a player is a sending off. Does Vardy need to go in with that force? No. Does he endanger an opponent? Well quite clearly studs into the knee with that much force is dangerous.

It's not like I don't want to see tackles flying in - I thought the Jagielka one was ridiculous last week (before it became apparent he sent him off for being last man). But I don't see how going straight through somebody's knee like that isn't a sending off. I want common sense refereeing and it's common sense to see that Vardy was out of control and endangered the player.

As @Babylon said last week, winning the ball doesn't absolve you.

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

The rule clearly states that excessive force or endangering a player is a sending off. Does Vardy need to go in with that force? No. Does he endanger an opponent? Well quite clearly studs into the knee with that much force is dangerous.

It's not like I don't want to see tackles flying in - I thought the Jagielka one was ridiculous last week (before it became apparent he sent him off for being last man). But I don't see how going straight through somebody's knee like that isn't a sending off. I want common sense refereeing and it's common sense to see that Vardy was out of control and endangered the player.

Certain angles it doesn't look a red, just saw one that definitely is though. Wins the balls but its uncontrolled and the foot goes way too high.

• Sad 1

Just now, Kopfkino said:

He's played through the ball as you'd do when making any pass. If he doesn't hit that high there's no one even questioning it, and he only catches the lad because Doherty is incredibly late into the challenge. I don't see how you're supposed to be penalised for an opponent making a late challenge. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

To all those people on here confidently asserting Vardy challenge was a red all day long just look at the video replay. He was first to the ball and the Wolves player clashed into him. It’s actually very clear and I have yet to see the rule that states you can be sent off for being first to a ball. Referee’s view was obscured.

I agree the first half hour was poor and Wolves could have been ahead but once we score we were in complete control and very professional. Lots to be positive about and whatever the pundits say Wolves lacked a cutting edge and have lost two games against ten men. 

We were unsure early on as we had 4 new players and Mendy was almost a newcomer so it takes time for them to gel but they grew in confidence as the game progressed. 

Did we miss Mahrez? Not so you’d notice.   Did we defend well? Not at first but looked good with three at back. Did we deserve to win-most definitely.

You can get sent off for being uncontrolled and for excessive force though.

I get where people are coming from but the angle I just saw it's a red.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

He's played through the ball as you'd do when making any pass. If he doesn't hit that high there's no one even questioning it, and he only catches the lad because Doherty is incredibly late into the challenge. I don't see how you're supposed to be penalised for an opponent making a late challenge. 

It’s clearly excessive force.