Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Remember Kember

Fans Who Leave Games Early

9 hours ago, STUHILL said:

It's really not though is it. To use your analogy... It's like walking off after finishing the 17th hole, to try avoid the mass rush of queuing/waiting in the club house as 32,000 finish their round at the same time, and also trying to avoid getting stuck in traffic exiting the club house car park...

I don't leave early btw.. Just felt compelled to tweak your analogy :thumbup:

Haha, I wasn’t trying to state a statistically precise scenario, just a slight exaggeration to vent my shared dismay at people not wanting to watch every second of their team play!

if you love the game watch it all (or play all 18) ??

• Thanks 1

Seeing as i live in abroad, whenever I do get to a city game i show up early and leave well after the whistle.   Soak in the atmosphere and appreciate what others get to 'enjoy' often.

As for leaving early, who really cares as its not your money. They paid, the ticket was sold and money was made. Focus on the game and forget about others!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Everyone should worry about themselves and let others get on with what they want to do.

****ing gatekeeping is not your job.

spot on for me, its not like we are paying for their tickets or anything, they paid for the tickets and if they want to go early so be it,

I can understand why some might go early, some might have other commitments after football and dont want to be late for them, and if they went at the final whistle theyd more than likely get caught up in the traffic after the game.

ii people want to go early..............let them, shouldnt care really since it isnt going to affect anyone else but them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoshhFox said:

I only leave games early if it’s extreme circumstance. 

Last season I left the Home game against West Ham when they made it 2-0 65 mins in. Probably the worst football I ever seen

Don't see that as extreme circumstances.

I Always leave on 89 minutes irrespective of the score.

Never used to when I lived in the Midlands but a 260 mile journey after every game is bad enough...fail to beat the traffic and it can add anything up to another hour onto the journey.

Never hang about in the aisles though...up and straight out.

I’m sure that everyone has their reasons for leaving early...why be judgemental about it? It’s their prerogative.

Same applies to singing...some want to sing some hate it. Supporting habits have changed...we have moved on from the 1970/80’s (thankfully)

26 minutes ago, Kevfromle said:

I Always leave on 89 minutes irrespective of the score.

Never used to when I lived in the Midlands but a 260 mile journey after every game is bad enough...fail to beat the traffic and it can add anything up to another hour onto the journey.

Never hang about in the aisles though...up and straight out.

I’m sure that everyone has their reasons for leaving early...why be judgemental about it? It’s their prerogative.

Same applies to singing...some want to sing some hate it. Supporting habits have changed...we have moved on from the 1970/80’s (thankfully)

I like that, I have no problem with leaving early. Personally, I stay until the final whistle on most matches, no matter how bad. But that's because I live 15 miles away and traffic is normally manageable.

My dad for example, sometimes leaves as early as 75 minutes. Normally when it's cold in winter (and the guy next to me who is well into his 80s does similar). But both of them will have medical reasons, slower walk, bad knees and they would rather walk on an empty road than one packed out with people walking past you, knocking you etc.

As you say, when someone gets up to leave, then leave and don't hang about in the aisle if something's about to happen. At the end of the day, if someone turns up late/leaves early and they miss history being made then it is their loss while the ones that stay can enjoy the moment.

As a side note, I was one of about 500 or so people that actually stayed after the West Ham game last year (last home game of season). So I am sure there are plenty of people on here who were a culprit of leaving "early" that day.

1 hour ago, PoshhFox said:

I only leave games early if it’s extreme circumstance. Last season I left the Home game against West Ham when they made it 2-0 65 mins in. Probably the worst football I ever seen

1 hour ago, red5 said:

Don't see that as extreme circumstances.

1 hour ago, PoshhFox said:

Seemed it at the time 

lol

Simarly to other posters here, I couldn't care less when people leave like some people said it's not our business what they want to do instead. 

However, if people are being inconsiderate and hanging about on the stairs affecting my view, and the view of those around me that's when it becomes our business and we have a right to be annoyed about it. 

It never ceases to amaze me the number of so-called fans, who say words to the effect "what's the big deal?" or "what's it to do with you?".

I'll tell you why it matters and apologies in advance if this sounds a bit patronising.

If you are a supporter of a team, then the clue is in the word 'supporter'.   It means supporting your team, and doing the best you can as a supporter or fan.  (or 'fanatic', if you prefer)

I can't play for the team, so I can't help there.  But I turn up as often as I can and try to give them as much vocal encouragment as I can.   This is simply because it's a known fact that positive vocal support tends to be better than criticism.   (if you doubt this, then wait till your boss has a go at you, and then see if you go the extra mile for them afterwards)

Similarly, giving support right to the end of a match is likely to have a better effect for the team, than leaving early.  It really is as simple as that.

Just ask yourself a few simple questions ... "If I was a Leicester City plater, what would I want my fans to do?   Would staying to the end encourage me?  Or do you think I'll run harder and bust a gut, if I see masses of people leaving, out of the corner of my eye?"

Subliminally, you are more likely to think ... if they can't be bothered, why should I?   Now obviously they're not going to just "down tools", but it's more the marginal trying 99% vs 100%.   That 1% might be the difference.

Anyway, the players are human after all.   And even if you think it makes absolutely no difference to the team  ... which is obviously nonsense anyway, as otherwise - why bother turning up and supporting a team at all.     It's just plain bad manners.   Like walking out of a theatre just before the end.

<and yes ... before loads of you start jumping up and down, I do appreciate there are some genuine reasons why people HAVE to leave a match before the end.   You are excused from any implied criticism here.>

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

It never ceases to amaze me the number of so-called fans, who say words to the effect "what's the big deal?" or "what's it to do with you?".

I'll tell you why it matters and apologies in advance if this sounds a bit patronising.

If you are a supporter of a team, then the clue is in the word 'supporter'.   It means supporting your team, and doing the best you can as a supporter or fan.  (or 'fanatic', if you prefer)

I can't play for the team, so I can't help there.  But I turn up as often as I can and try to give them as much vocal encouragment as I can.   This is simply because it's a known fact that positive vocal support tends to be better than criticism.   (if you doubt this, then wait till your boss has a go at you, and then see if you go the extra mile for them afterwards)

Similarly, giving support right to the end of a match is likely to have a better effect for the team, than leaving early.  It really is as simple as that.

Just ask yourself a few simple questions ... "If I was a Leicester City plater, what would I want my fans to do?   Would staying to the end encourage me?  Or do you think I'll run harder and bust a gut, if I see masses of people leaving, out of the corner of my eye?"

Subliminally, you are more likely to think ... if they can't be bothered, why should I?   Now obviously they're not going to just "down tools", but it's more the marginal trying 99% vs 100%.   That 1% might be the difference.

Anyway, the players are human after all.   And even if you think it makes absolutely no difference to the team  ... which is obviously nonsense anyway, as otherwise - why bother turning up and supporting a team at all.     It's just plain bad manners.   Like walking out of a theatre just before the end.

<and yes ... before loads of you start jumping up and down, I do appreciate there are some genuine reasons why people HAVE to leave a match before the end.   You are excused from any implied criticism here.>

What a load of rubbish. I fully understand the other side of the argument but this is one of the worst, most jingoistic representations of it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

What a load of rubbish. I fully understand the other side of the argument but this is one of the worst, most jingoistic representations of it.

What bits of it did you actually disagree with?   And what has it got to do with jingoism?

Edited by worth_the_wait

26 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Rule of thumb, if you have to apologise for being potentially patronising, you're probably going to be patronising and probably it isn't worth saying. Like a lot of what you've posted. 

Criticising People for wanting to leave early, yes we may disagree, but they pay their ticket fees and support the team and are entitled to do what they want. As long as they don't stand in the aisle or block other views its fine. Those that leave risk missing key parts of the game, but they know that. 

I don't get why this is such a big issue all the time, spend more time watching the game and support the team than paying attention to others leaving.

• Like 1