Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Remember Kember

Fans Who Leave Games Early

Out of curiosity how much quicker do you really get away from the stadium, 15 minutes maybe (excluding game time) ?  is it worth missing any last minute action. 

The only game ive ever left early is Northampton away in league 1, because Lloyd Dyer just scored a late winner and I was sat in the home end and I couldnt hold in the celebrations...not sure how we got out without any grief

Edited by Lambert09

I do find it rather bizarre to be honest. If we're getting hammered fair enough but when the game is in the balance. It's not like there isn't the occasional goal in the last 5 mins / injury time after all.....

What really pisses me off however is when people don't have the strength of the convictions and loiter in the gangways on their way out.  Either stay in your seat or GTFO. Don't stand looking gormlessly into space blocking my and others' views who actually would quite like to continue watching the game.

• Like 3

I always try to stay but sometimes the train times mean you have to just go to run to the train station.  Lot's of people will have different reasons to leave early so as long as they leave during a break in play then that's fine by me.  It's the half-timers who nip down for a pint at 35/40 mins and come back at 50/55 mins who annoy me the most!

• Like 1

I always stay to the end.  I am with the team thru thick .... and thin.  I want to see how they and puel respond. I ve paid for 90 mins.  When things don't go well we have to learn.. and knowing how we feel when we lose... makes winning feel great

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

It doesn’t annoy me it just confuses me (unless you’ve got a train to catch or something urgent). What would me is if my Dad or brother or mate or whoever I’m at the game with decided it would be best to head early when the game is in the balance. I’d tell them what I’d think of that! Don’t think I ever will leave a game early because even if your team is 5-0 down you could miss an “I was there” moment such as goal of the century or an extreme headline making bust up or something 

28 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Get tough on these people. Immediate life ban and season ticket for Cov.

Completely agree. I would go as far as saying the real fans that stay til the whistle should be allowed to assault people trying to leave. Perhaps just a kick or a punch on the back of the head as they walk down the steps. Subhuman scum. ?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Completely agree. I would go as far as saying the real fans that stay til the whistle should be allowed to assault people trying to leave. Perhaps just a kick or a punch on the back of the head as they walk down the steps. Subhuman scum. ?

Matey! You're barmy. :blink: 

Get yourself a cosh. That way you don't hurt your hand. :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Remember Kember said:

Has anyone else noticed the increasing trend of people leaving matches early sometimes as much as 15 minutes before full time.

Whilst it is understandable if we are losing say 3-0 ( but still inexcusable) these people are doing when we are winning i.e. last Saturday.

I've seen some supporters arrive at 3.15pm and leave at 4.35pm!!!

No one leaves the cinema early even when you know the ending so why do it at a football match.

It isn't even just at the Kingpower I noticed loads of empty seats on TV on Sunday at Brighton despite the fact they were leading Man Utd 3-1. Unbelievable.

The other annoying aspect is that they slowly walk down the aisles like a player when he is being substituted hence blocking the view for those supporters who have chosen to stay to support the team.

I'm certain some people would be happy taking a photo as the teams come out to show they are at the ground and then leaving without watching the match at all

I left the cinema 15 minutes into paranormal activity

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

No difference to people who go for a beer in the 40th min and don't come back until the 50th.

I had an argument with one of these numbnuts on Saturday. 

People are free to leave but abyone who sits near the aisles will tell you how much of a pain it is in the final few minutes. Especially when they stop to watch the game 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I had an argument with one of these numbnuts on Saturday. 

To be fair sometimes you can go down in the 40th minute and not be served until half time is nearly finished.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The people arguing with the people who leave early: get a ****ing life. Its not your business.

Nah, there's a valid point when those leavers affect other fans view of the game or block the steps/exits. It can be inconsiderate.  Just like those who disappear for a pint on 40 minutes and return on 50. 

People don't want to know other's business, most recognise there are valid reasons for leaving early, but with the observation that more people are leaving early they question what is it that is "more important" for more people than staying till the end of the game, when it can often affect others in the crowd.

More distractions in modern life? More selfish? Less commitment to causes in general? More picking and choosing? And that fans in the past were more stubbornly committed to staying till the end?  I think you can apply these observations to life in general, not just the habits of football fans.

I guess in the days before smart phones you also had more time to kill before the buff edition of the Mercury came out with a brief match report, or you could wait until MOTD that night to watch a few highlights. When you look back life always looks less rushed. Now we're pissed off if we can't update out sports app on our phones in the stadium!

Despite some comments to the contrary there is an analogy with the cinema or theatre. Even if I need a piss I'd make every effort to keep watching the film to the end - to not miss it; but also to not disturb other's in the cinema watching the film. I think most would agree with this? Or maybe not? Does it matter if you come and go as you like? Like the annoying people noisily eating popcorn or crisps?

I also think there's a dynamic here. The community verses the individual. At a match we are all part of a crowd. We aren't on our own at home watching the match on a screen where we can flick between channels. At a match our actions may be seen as part of the crowd. Football is tribal. To leave early can be seen as a betrayal of the crowd.  In the past there were probably more communal ties.

That's why this topic itself is always so popular because it mines a fault line we have in modern culture.

And that concludes my philosophical analysis of this modern phenomena. It's remarkable how interesting it can become after rediscovering the delights of singha beer ??

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

It’s fans leaving away games early that pisses me off,why go all that way to miss the part of the game that’s most important 

more so when i hear ‘I ain’t watching this shit I’m going for a beer’

What! You go to aways to watch the game? You don't go all that way to watch a footy match sherly.