Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Remember Kember

Fans Who Leave Games Early

20 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Rule of thumb, if you have to apologise for being potentially patronising, you're probably going to be patronising and probably it isn't worth saying. Like a lot of what you've posted. 

Criticising People for wanting to leave early, yes we may disagree, but they pay their ticket fees and support the team and are entitled to do what they want. As long as they don't stand in the aisle or block other views its fine. Those that leave risk missing key parts of the game, but they know that. 

I don't get why this is such a big issue all the time, spend more time watching the game and support the team than paying attention to others leaving.

That's just the point.   You don't get it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, worth_the_wait said:

That's just the point.   You don't get it.

Excuse me? Are you now questioning how much I support the team? 

Get a grip, if you're going to do that just fvck off. 

Maybe you don't get that other people are entitled to do what they want, your view isn't superior. Pull your head out of your ass and support the team, don't start mouthing off to others.

I would like to spend this moment to say.. You are all miserable c@nts discussing a topic so meaningless. I dont see other forums bitching and moaning like we do. Im quitting LCFC and supporting my local. bellends utd. Bunch of f_cking tits the lot of you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Simoken said:

I would like to spend this moment to say.. You are all miserable c@nts discussing a topic so meaningless. I dont see other forums bitching and moaning like we do. Im quitting LCFC and supporting my local. bellends utd. Bunch of f_cking tits the lot of you.

Probably coz they don't have droves of weirdos heading for the exits when their teams are pushing for late goals.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Simoken said:

Who have Bellends Utd got this weekend?

14 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

It is a good thread.

I only suggested that staying to the end and supporting your team, might just help them.   

How silly of me to have made such a ridoculous suggestion. ...

I don't think that's a silly suggestion at all, but sweeping statements don't work in football. As much as the hardcore would love everyone to stay until the final whistle, context is important.

Against West Ham in title season, 2-1 down, I bet barely any people left. If they did then I have no comprehension why, but I bet it was a minuscule number. They stayed, belief remained and we levelled the match. We were on the verge of the greatest thing ever, the result absolutely mattered.

Look at Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and any game which is very close, has gravitas and matters. People stayed, to enjoy the post match celebrations and to back the team as they got over, or tried to get over the line.

Roll on two years and we're 2-0 down to West Ham with no hope of getting back into it, on the back of a bad run. Are people going to head for the exits or are they going to stay watching the rubbish served up? It's not difficult to see which one. As idealistic as it sounds no amount of support could've helped that team.

Equally, this post revolved around Saturday. It was a comfortable 2-0 lead in August. Nothing was really riding on the game and a win was inevitable. Can I see why people flocked out early? Absolutely I can.

Leaving early isn't even generational. Old, young, families, groups of LADS, middle-aged beer belly LOYAL SUPPORTERS types, they all disappear before the final whistle. You can argue the toss that every game is as important as each other, but let's be honest to many it isn't. Context on these departures is important and why they happen.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you've said there.  

(I was merely trying to get people to think about other people, such as the players, might think)

I think the key practical point, is the state of the match at the time.

If we're 3-0 down with a minute to go, it doesn't matter one jot how many leave.

What astonishes me (and others), is the number of people who leave when the game is on a knife edge.     Either it's level,  or we're one goal up hanging on for an important win, or one goal down throwing everything forward to get an equaliser.

That's what really puzzles me.     You've taken the trouble to get to a game.  It's in the last desperate 60 seconds ... and you just walk out

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

What astonishes me (and others), is the number of people who leave when the game is on a knife edge.     Either it's level,  or we're one goal up hanging on for an important win, or one goal down throwing everything forward to get an equaliser.

That's what really puzzles me.     You've taken the trouble to get to a game.  It's in the last desperate 60 seconds ... and you just walk out

I want to be kind to you, as I think you've lost friends here in the way you first posted, but I got the point you were trying to make.

I'm sure you've read the entire thread, so you I hope you understand that different people will have different commitments, and concerns, to meet as the game draws to a close. In a perfect world, I'd always stay to the end, but it isn't perfect, and I might have 90 minutes to drive afterwards, or a train to catch, or I've plain just had enough. I'm 47 and able-bodied, but sometimes I just don't want to be in a slow-moving crowd of humanity - particularly if the black dog of depression is lurking.

I will reiterate my feelings on this - people can do as they please, but once it crosses the line into the anti-social and/or impairing others' ability to get their money's worth, then I think complaint becomes valid. Until such a point, one can wonder what motivates people to pay good money to miss large swathes of the match, and be glad it isn't us.

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Probably coz they don't have droves of weirdos heading for the exits when their teams are pushing for late goals.

To be reassured it is not unique to us. Having the (mis)fortune to be a regular attendee at Ashton Gate, we actually have sweepstakes every game amongst the guys I go with as to what minute the away fans will start to chant 'is there a fire drill' and when the first of us will have verbals with someone dwelling on the gangway next to us blocking our view as they slowly leave early.

I don't have any issue with people leaving the games early, you've bought the ticket you can do what you want..

However, people who go to leave, and then something exciting happens, so they hover above their seat, or in the aisles should be shot! Had someone standing right in front of me during the build up to Maguire's goal against United and only moved once the whole group around us had shouted at him. if you're going to leave early, fine, but just get up and go. 

The only time I've ever left a game early was our 5-0 home defeat against Bolton in 2001. Talk about crushing your enthusiasm for the season - it was the opening game and we had Peter Taylor in charge and Dennis Wise in midfield.

Not read all the thread so this point may have already been made.

What pisses me off with early leavers is when they stop in front of you because something is happening on the pitch. You have chosen to leave so feck off, don't block my view.

Just read - this point has been made - several times. lol

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

People can pay their money and do what they like, but I've never understood it when there's a game potentially in the balance. How many of the great football moments are last minute winners/equalisers? Why would you deny yourself those absolute top level moments? All those lost memories? If you leave 88th minute every week you've NEVER seen a stoppage time winner? Seems crazy to me. 

• Like 1

Alright for those that live locally but some wanna miss the traffic. Left a game in the seventies myself against Arsenal. Losing 1-0 with thre minutes left. Got back to the car, turned the radio on and found out we'd won 2-1. Never done it since.

Edited by l444ry

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

People can pay their money and do what they like, but I've never understood it when there's a game potentially in the balance. How many of the great football moments are last minute winners/equalisers? Why would you deny yourself those absolute top level moments? All those lost memories? If you leave 88th minute every week you've NEVER seen a stoppage time winner? Seems crazy to me. 

This happened when Steve Howard headed in that goal against Leeds in injury time.  Absolute scenes and some people going mad in the concourses as they were leaving early.