Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Bournemouth 4- Leicester 2 post match thread.

25 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

My worry is that we've become too easy to play against, too nice. I think we've been lacking an edge since the beginning of the season.

We’re becoming “Arsenal lite” as @Tuna magnificently described us earlier 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ve wanted Puel to work for so long and there’s plenty of rational arguments to say he should be gone. 

As a defender of what to give a manager time to succeed and not become a club with a constant change of manager, it concerns me that he repeatedly makes the same mistakes in selection and tactics.

I feel the same way. Every time I defend him he punishes me for doing so. 

• Like 1

Watching motd has annoyed me even more than i already was. Yes Pawson was awful and was never a pen and Im not convinced Morgan should have been sent off (although thats a blessing in disguise) but our defending is unbelievably horrible at the moment. Bournemouth haven't even played well and have been gifted 4 goals. Its disappointing to gift the opposition 1 goal in a game but for us to literally gift them 3 and pawson to gift them 1 is just ridiculous. Morgan was awful as was Maguire and Ricardo is not a right back. Maguire cannot play with someone as slow as Morgan. When he plays for England he has the pace of Walker and Stones normally to help him out but he looks poor alongside Morgan. Evans isn't the answer either which begs the question, why the hell is soyuncu not playing. He played twice for Turkey last week but doesnt play for us, makes no sense at all. Many said last season that Puels loyalty to Morgan could lose him his job and id say the same applys now. I like Puel and don't want him sacked but he needs to sort out the defence quickly as we just look like conceding goals all the time at the moment. Looked decent going forward but the defending was some of the worst I've seen in the prem this season. 

• Like 2

Harsh on Pereira for their penalty.

The referee today seemed to make big decisions on 'fouls' that didn't deserve penalties and red cards - in a way that he had to blow at the time to please the home crowd.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Paddy. said:

I've largely been in favour of what Puel is doing but we were shite today and it's fair to say that some of the worst performances we've put in since we were promoted have been under Puel (today, Palace away, Palace home). Easily as bad as anything we served up under Shakey if not worse.

I normally agree with you generally, but have to disagree on this one in some ways.

The performance when we came back with two despite the sending off, has given me the belief something is still there with regards tp potential/better things to come if we start to better manage the game more effectively especially earlier on.

Had Maddison's shot which deflected off the crossbar went in, our confidence would've likely to shot up and thus we'd be more determined for more, certainly when the game was more competitive then.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

4 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I normally agree with you generally, butt have to disagree on this one in some ways.

The performance when we came back with two despite the sending off, has given me the belief something is still there with regards tp potential/better things to come if we start to better manage the game more effectively.

Had Maddison's shot which deflected off the crossbar went in, our confidence would've likely to shot up and thus we'd be more determined for more, especially when the game was more competitive then.

Next match is vital. Hope you are correct

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

That doesn't tell the whole story though does it.

We conceded the first goal again and crumbled after doing so, going into HT 3-0 down and very nearly with 10 men.

I've seen worse, and there were positives, but let's not disguise the fact that we were well beaten today and it was a horrible day at the office.

Yes it was, that's undebatable.

But some people here think it's enough to call for Puel's head or say Fuchs, Iborra, Albrighton or even Okazaki should start games.

Do they think we must win all our games ?
Do they think a loss means half our team are shit and make our substitutes word beaters ?
That's some serious dumbassery.

22 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I normally agree with you generally, but have to disagree on this one in some ways.

The performance when we came back with two despite the sending off, has given me the belief something is still there with regards tp potential/better things to come if we start to better manage the game more effectively especially earlier on.

Had Maddison's shot which deflected off the crossbar went in, our confidence would've likely to shot up and thus we'd be more determined for more, certainly when the game was more competitive then.

Not forgetting Vardy's 2 realistic chances....

5 minutes ago, yks said:

But some people here think it's enough to call for Puel's head or say Fuchs, Iborra, Albrighton or even Okazaki should start games.

Do they think a loss means half our team are shit and make our substitutes word beaters ?

We was massively unlucky to be 3-0 down at ht had we took our chances that wouldn’t have been the case as we did have them , however I think we should be playing even better with the squad we have now and I can only put it down to pulse tactics. I will happily give Puel 10 games and see how it is this season without calling for his head , but with the squad we have now we should be doing better. I 5hink the only way forward with the personnel we have is 352 chilly and peara would excell at wing back imo

A bad day in the office today. Looking at us; I think now is the time for 3-5-2 or 5-3-2. We’re weak against pace at the back; actually we are just weak anyway. We need 2 up front at home, try Kelechi and Jamie with Mads in behind and Wilf and Mendy/Silva or Iborra in midfield. Width will have to come from Ricardo and Ben. 

I agree that a 352 appears to make perfect sense with our current starters but I think the key issue against it is that we don't have the right backups (especially WBs and AMs) to make it 'our style' so to speak since the second we need to make a sub it would probably necessitate a change in formation. Just a thought...

38 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I normally agree with you generally, butt have to disagree on this one in some ways.

The performance when we came back with two despite the sending off, has given me the belief something is still there with regards tp potential/better things to come if we start to better manage the game more effectively.

Had Maddison's shot which deflected off the crossbar went in, our confidence would've likely to shot up and thus we'd be more determined for more, especially when the game was more competitive then.

Yeah to a point but we could just as easily lost the Wolves game had they scored and not hit the post 3 times. Pleased we got a couple of late goals but Bournemouth were home and dry by then without really needing to battle. My concern is our awful starts to matches where we look so vulnerable after a couple of minutes in every bloody game! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I agree that a 352 appears to make perfect sense with our current starters but I think the key issue against it is that we don't have the right backups (especially WBs and AMs) to make it 'our style' so to speak since the second we need to make a sub it would probably necessitate a change in formation. Just a thought...

It's a valid point, but surely it's more of an issue playing a system that doesn't even suit our starting 11! 

Play to the starting 11 strengths, not the back-ups I say, because the starting 11 are the ones that will be playing the majority of our games! 

I also think that Albrighton could do OK in the RWB role if needed, likewise for Fuchs LWB, especially with both their crossing abilities. AM could be tricker but you'd hope Maddison would play most games and then you have Gray/Ghezzal to try make it work too if necessary. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, yks said:

It’s funny how every player not in the team when we lose suddenly becomes a much better player because they were not on the pitch. Always makes me smile. 

8 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Yeah to a point but we could just as easily lost the Wolves game had they scored and not hit the post 3 times. Pleased we got a couple of late goals but Bournemouth were home and dry by then without really needing to battle. My concern is our awful starts to matches where we look so vulnerable after a couple of minutes in every bloody game! 

Bournemouth completely switched off for those last 10minutes. You could see how they took their foot off and we got a couple of easy quick fire goals. Certainly not an indication of how the game could have gone unless for some ifs and buts 

We were outplayed and exploited at the back, by a Bournemouth team who didn't actually have to play that well to score 4 past us. 

Judging by how soft we were and easily taken apart today, with arguably our best 11 out there (bar Wes)... then a big change in approach is required IMO. I think he got the players right (bar Wes), but he got the formation and tactics all wrong. We didn't play to our strengths as a team and won't be able to, unless he changes his way of thinking and how he sets us up

Edited by STUHILL
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, yks said:

We've been shit in every game this season. thinking Puel is doing a good job is dumbassery. 

Puel out is not the answer.

We're not a million miles off.

Morgan is costing us at the back.

Meanwhile I can't remember anything of note that Gray has done apart from a goal he couldn't miss vs. Southampton.

Imagine that same game with a capable centre half and, say, Ryan Fraser in place of Gray.

We win it.

No panic needed, just a couple of changes in personnel.

Edited by Nod.E

Just now, Nod.E said:

Meanwhile I can't remember anything of note that Gray has gone apart from a goal he couldn't miss vs. Southampton.

Imagine that same game with a capable centre half and, say, Ryan Fraser in place of Gray.

We win it.

A change to Morgan and Gray would not have made much difference.

We got torn apart due to Puel playing two attacking full backs who aren't very good at defending. 

The system needs changing more than the players IMO! 

Agree there is no need to panic yet, but these are warning signs and the same ones that have followed on from last season. 

2 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Meanwhile I can't remember anything of note that Gray has done apart from a goal he couldn't miss vs. Southampton.

We win it.

It’s pules choice to play Morgan tho . We need wingbacks not rb and lb with our players 

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

A change to Morgan and Gray would not have made much difference.

We got torn apart due to Puel playing two attacking full backs who aren't very good at defending. 

The system needs changing more than the players IMO! 

Agree there is no need to panic yet, but these are warning signs and the same ones that have followed on from last season. 

Suppose we're identifying the same issue and interpreting the 'fix' in different ways.

For me attacking full backs are an important evolution required to dominate teams in 2018. A good enough central defence covers for the runs they make, something I don't feel Wes is up to.

Admittedly we were still playing with Simpson, but remember how much more comfortable we looked at the back with Mags and Drags?

And in a game of 'fine margins', Fraser has made things happen. Gray, once again, has not.

Edited by Nod.E

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Suppose we're identifying the same issue and interpreting the 'fix' in different ways.

For me attacking full backs are an important evolution required to dominate teams in 2018. A good enough central defence covers for the runs they make, something I don't feel Wes is up to.

And in a game of 'fine margins', Fraser has made things happen. Gray, once again, has not.

Agree on the attacking full backs and something i've wanted for a long time! Chuffed we finally have them, but shocked to see Puel not recognising how exposed we are when they bomb forward, 3-4-1-2 is the solution IMO and also plays to Maguire's strengths as well as gets us another striker on the pitch 

• Like 1