Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haywood_6

Mohamed Elneny

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Is that supposed ITK info or based off a press report, or a guess?  Because it's hard to believe considering it's more than Arsenal paid for him and they're pushing him out the door.

That's what I read somewhere, hoping it's not true (both the price and him signing)

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Confused. Why is this a bad signing? Ok, not in Arsenal`s first team (Ahead of who exactly?), but for 10-15m (Backup keeper cost 12m...) it does not seem that high

Must assume we will lose Iborra, Silva and let King go and enjoy himself. so don`t see the issue personally.

It's not a bad signing.  Elneny is a nice player, a marginal upgrade in distribution and creativity from what we're starting in MF now.  It's just that people want something sexier, but that's not likely to happen in January.  Also, a lot of fans hold a grudge over what happened in 2017.

That said, no way you should gift Arsenal 15 million.  They paid 12.5 and they've barely played the guy - they're looking to shed his wage bill.

I see the argument, but seeing as Danny Ward cost 12m from Liverpool (Who bought him for 125k in 2012), he then made a total of 9 appearences (3 starting, 6 as a sub) not sure how much water that argument holds! :)

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Doesnt get your pants particularly wet but he would improve us.  Could be the difference between dropping off and getting 7th....:claude:

Not sure what you are basing that on buddy.

We have Mendy and Ndidi who Claude won’t drop and then Hamza who has been great - unless you support the idea of Claude playing 4 DM’s I’m not sure where he gets a game outside the FA cup.

• Like 2

If CP was prepared to start him instead of Ndidi or Mendy I will happily concede that Elneny is a far superior passer of the ball and has some pedigree in terms of playing some historical defence splitting passes for Arsenal and having more ability in the box to box role than Mendy or Ndidi.

9 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

We have Mendy and Ndidi who Claude won’t drop and then Hamza who has been great - unless you support the idea of Claude playing 4 DM’s I’m not sure where he gets a game outside the FA cup.

I guess it would mean dropping Mendy?  Although its not exactly clear who the weakest link in that 3 is...

He looks like he can pass and would maybe make us move the ball a bit better through the midfield

But yeah, wouldn't be the most inspiring signing

11 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Or yeah, this...  :)

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

If CP was prepared to start him instead of Ndidi or Mendy I will happily concede that Elneny is a far superior passer of the ball and has some pedigree in terms of playing some historical defence splitting passes for Arsenal and having more ability in the box to box role than Mendy or Ndidi.

26 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Last year this rumour reached an interview with him, and he came across uninterested.. this wont be happening.

That was when he thought he had a chance with Emery.  Now it's been made clear to him he has no place in Arsenal's plans - an entirely different situation.  

22 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Get him in for the big hair wombo combo with Hamza.

Complete the set and bring in Fellani as well (Regrowth notwithstanding)

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Confused. Why is this a bad signing? Ok, not in Arsenal`s first team (Ahead of who exactly?), but for 10-15m (Backup keeper cost 12m...) it does not seem that high

Must assume we will lose Iborra, Silva and let King go and enjoy himself. so don`t see the issue personally.

Because it lacks ambition. Why panic sign a mediocre CM with no upside when we can just try to develop Hamza, or buy someone with immense potential in the summer like Billing. 

• Like 2

I get that Hamza is the flavor of the week (until he has a howler, and most of the posters turn on him like a pack of rabid dogs, as they do every youngster who ever makes a mistake).  And he has a lot to like about him - great energy, reads the game well.  But he's not a creative midfielder, and Elneny is - at least by comparison.  He'd give Puel a different option than he currently has - for example Choudhury in the current Ndidi role paired with Mendy and Elneny could work very well against a defensive-minded opponent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Because it lacks ambition. Why panic sign a mediocre CM with no upside when we can just try to develop Hamza, or buy someone with immense potential in the summer like Billing. 

But we have Iborra and Silva who look to be leaving. This means we then have King who clearly has no future here, Matty James who unfortunately is not reliable and Hamza.

I disagree that this shows a lack of ambition, it all depends on what you view this signing as. As part of set of CDMs its fine, its not the cork popping, mouth watering signing, but its solid I would argue.

• Like 2

I think elneny is very underrated, he is a more complete midfielder than we currently have.

he reads the game very well, plays positively with the ball by playing forward rather than sideways.

he is a good passer and is tenancious, would be a considerable upgrade imho. 

• Like 2