Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haywood_6

Mohamed Elneny

9 hours ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Wasn't he Sevilla's captain?

Absolutely, even though he didn't start every week, which says a lot about the quality of the man.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, but his size has negatives as well as positives, and he is extreme for any kind of midfielder (though Yaya Toure made it work). I would have tried him up front myself (as Seville did), but what do I know?

3 hours ago, daverollo said:

Iborra out an Elneny in would be an upgrade to the squad. More pace and energy and a better passer. Gets a yes from me.

And more importantly, he’s very comfortable on the ball, I like him and I’ve watched him closely ever since he turned us down the last time. He did say he didn’t want to move away from London though?

On 03/01/2019 at 09:41, Nicolo Barella said:

Because it lacks ambition. Why panic sign a mediocre CM with no upside when we can just try to develop Hamza, or buy someone with immense potential in the summer like Billing. 

Exactly this.

I don't have a solid opinion on Elneny as I haven't seen him play too often but a £10m+ transfer fee on a 26 yo who isn't good enough for the 6th best PL doesn't get the juices flowing. I'm a great believer in only spending money for players who are either better than what you have or young players who have great potential. If we're going to be short in CM by the end of January and can't buy a suitable player then utilise the squad or bring in a loan.

We've already spent £25m this season on two players in their mid 20's who aren't good enough for a first team place and not young enough to give them leeway for their potential in Ward and Ghezzal. Let's not make that £40m bringing in another mid 20's player who probably is no better than what we already have and is at an age that you can't point to potential.

It's money getting thrown around again like it's going out of fashion. I can forgive buying young players who don't live up to potential or even players widely considered better than what we have and not living up to expectation but buying mid 20's proven mediocrity for significant money is inexcusable. You just knew the Liverpool and Monaco boardrooms were high fiving each other when they sold us Ward and Ghezzal so let's not make that a hat trick with Arsenal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Exactly this.

I don't have a solid opinion on Elneny as I haven't seen him play too often but a £10m+ transfer fee on a 26 yo who isn't good enough for the 6th best PL doesn't get the juices flowing. I'm a great believer in only spending money for players who are either better than what you have or young players who have great potential. If we're going to be short in CM by the end of January and can't buy a suitable player then utilise the squad or bring in a loan.

We've already spent £25m this season on two players in their mid 20's who aren't good enough for a first team place and not young enough to give them leeway for their potential in Ward and Ghezzal. Let's not make that £40m bringing in another mid 20's player who probably is no better than what we already have and is at an age that you can't point to potential.

It's money getting thrown around again like it's going out of fashion. I can forgive buying young players who don't live up to potential or even players widely considered better than what we have and not living up to expectation but buying mid 20's proven mediocrity for significant money is inexcusable. You just knew the Liverpool and Monaco boardrooms were high fiving each other when they sold us Ward and Ghezzal so let's not make that a hat trick with Arsenal. 

Talk of juices flowing, what about a cheeky bid to Manure for Rachel?  Now they are winning under Ollie she is probably being ignored at the moment... 

1 hour ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Honestly think Elneny is a downgrade on Iborra. No experience bar playing in Arsenals cup games. Plus he's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to come here either.

What were Iborras stand out moments for you. Personally I thought him very average, Elneny could benefit from a side away from the top 4 with more conservative ambitions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, teblin said:

He is allowed to change his mind. Happens in any walk life.

and I thought it was mentioned previously, that he rejected as Emery joined so he hoped to be involed more but that has not worked out well for him

57 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Exactly this.

You don't have a solid opinion about Elneny, but you do know he doesn't satisfy your 'better than what you have' criterion?

I think there's a good chance he'd do better than Iborra (who I don't rate) and he's 4 years younger. If that costs a net few million it seems a reasonable call. 

Think your comment about Ward is a bit weird as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

You don't have a solid opinion about Elneny, but you do know he doesn't satisfy your 'better than what you have' criterion?

I think there's a good chance he'd do better than Iborra (who I don't rate) and he's 4 years younger. If that costs a net few million it seems a reasonable call. 

Think your comment about Ward is a bit weird as well.

You may be better educated on Elneny's abilities better than me and you obviously have studied him closely and have an informed opinion.

I'm judging him as a player who is 26 so is statistically likely to be around his peak but surplus to requirements at Arsenal who many would have the 6th best team in the PL. He will cost a good sized fee and in all likelihood will not be an upgrade on what we have here already. Our resources should be put to better use.

As for Ward I'm looking for VFM, Ward was 25 and cost £12.6m. A couple of weeks later Schmeichel signed a five year contract so Ward will likely be the most expensive reserve GK in the history of football. The Huddersfield fans who are the only team who have seen him play a run of games generally thought he wasn't good enough for the PL and arguably their weakest position when they got promoted. 

Like Ghezzal another big money signing in their mid 20's who aren't good enough for an automatic choice in our first team and are too old to be considered for their potential. You may be happy blowing £40m on players like this but I'm not. 

2 hours ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Honestly think Elneny is a downgrade on Iborra. No experience bar playing in Arsenals cup games. Plus he's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to come here either.

He’s played in the Champions League, and helped Egypt qualify for a little tournament called the World Cup for the first time in 28 years. Oh yeah, he also played in the World Cup. 

Just being hard and depressingly honest, if "not good enough to be a regular on a top six club" is a disqualifier for transfer targets, we're going to have a very short list of players we realistically have a shot at. 

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2