Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Should Claude Puel be sacked or backed? Poll

Should Claude Puel be sacked?  

772 members have voted

1. 1. Should Claude Puel be sacked or backed?

• Sack.
    • Keep him and back him in the transfer window.

11 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Enough people have voted to say otherwise.

My only argument would be that it's very close to the game and people are understandably angered by a miserable display. A couple of days later would be a more accurate measure.

For me, it's hard to justify a club with our level of investment firing its manager when we're 11th, especially when you consider the transitional nature of what's happening right now.

That said, there's a good argument that he's not the right man. Over 12 months the results haven't been good enough now, fans are disenchanted, key players reportedly unconvinced, performances poor (even when we pick up points it often owes to either forget-tactics-chuck-the-kitchen-sink-at-them, or a bit of good fortune). When that happens, the short-term becomes more important than it usually is, because there's little evidence of progress and decisions have to be made. So he's facing a horrible run of fixtures, and my view is that he either shows some form of sustained progress against stronger opposition - which could provide a springboard for the rest of the season - or we look at ourselves a few games from now in 13th place, out of the Cup, with 14th and 15th closing in, and make an assessment that, on balance, it's not working out.

If it's true that first team recruitment isn't a priority for this window (if it were, we'd need any potential new appointment in sooner rather than later) then we can wait. But we have to accept that the Puel era hasn't yet delivered, and needs to offer a few green shoots in coming weeks if we're to advance together.

On a final note, I always despair of people saying 'there are no alternatives'. There are always alternatives. And sometimes the most unlikely of appointments turn out to be the best, as we all should know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

My only argument would be that it's very close to the game and people are understandably angered by a miserable display. A couple of days later would be a more accurate measure.

For me, it's hard to justify a club with our level of investment firing its manager when we're 11th, especially when you consider the transitional nature of what's happening right now.

That said, there's a good argument that he's not the right man. Over 12 months the results haven't been good enough now, fans are disenchanted, key players reportedly unconvinced, performances poor (even when we pick up points it often owes to either forget-tactics-chuck-the-kitchen-sink-at-them, or a bit of good fortune). When that happens, the short-term becomes more important than it usually is, because there's little evidence of progress and decisions have to be made. So he's facing a horrible run of fixtures, and my view is that he either shows some form of sustained progress against stronger opposition - which could provide a springboard for the rest of the season - or we look at ourselves a few games from now in 13th place, out of the Cup, with 14th and 15th closing in, and make an assessment that, on balance, it's not working out.

If it's true that first team recruitment isn't a priority for this window (if it were, we'd need any potential new appointment in sooner rather than later) then we can wait. But we have to accept that the Puel era hasn't yet delivered, and needs to offer a few green shoots in coming weeks if we're to advance together.

On a final note, I always despair of people saying 'there are no alternatives'. There are always alternatives. And sometimes the most unlikely of appointments turn out to be the best, as we all should know.

But it's not just this game, is it? This is no knee-jerk reaction this is an awakening of even the most optimistic or die-hard Puel fans to the fact that he is taking the club know where. If it were just a few disgruntled posters on here you could easily dismiss it as " angered by a miserable display" but take a look at how many now see the light and want him out. He was never the right man in the first place having been sacked from his two previous jobs for being as boring and negative as he has for us. He simply has to go.

13 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

But it's not just this game, is it? This is no knee-jerk reaction this is an awakening of even the most optimistic or die-hard Puel fans to the fact that he is taking the club know where. If it were just a few disgruntled posters on here you could easily dismiss it as " angered by a miserable display" but take a look at how many now see the light and want him out. He was never the right man in the first place having been sacked from his two previous jobs for being as boring and negative as he has for us. He simply has to go.

I totally agree. I don't want to sound argumentative, but I wonder if you've just read the first couple of paragraphs of my post, because I think I address these points after that. Of course, I can understand if someone gets bored of my posts after a paragraph or two..!

Edit: I obviously didn't read the last line of your post either! I don't totally agree, because I'm not sure it's that simple. Yet.

Edited by inckley fox

No doubt we have been dreadful to watch for some time now and today's result was utterly predictable, even with Zaha missing for the home team. Puel is not an inspirational leader,  he's a poor communicator and promotes a turgid, unappealing style of football. He should leave as should the head of recruitment.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I totally agree. I don't want to sound argumentative, but I wonder if you've just read the first couple of paragraphs of my post, because I think I address these points after that. Of course, I can understand if someone gets bored of my posts after a paragraph or two..!

No not at all. you always post good posts and I enjoy reading them. A difference of opinion won't change that. 

1 minute ago, yorksfox said:

No doubt we have been dreadful to watch for some time now and today's result was utterly predictable, even with Zaha missing for the home team. Puel is not an inspirational leader,  he's a poor communicator and promotes a turgid, unappealing style of football. He should leave as should the head of recruitment.

Hasn't the Head of Recruitment left? Or is that 'fake news'?!

Sacked, obviously. He has a lot of good players, (and some less good) but succeeds in making them collectively worse than they are,. The complete opposite of what any fan would want from their club manager.

He looked like a muppet from the start of 2018, and the Arsenal home win saved him from the sack. 

Home form has been horrendous, home performances miserable, who would vote for more of that?

• Thanks 2

Sacked for me. Today was the final straw. I'm absolutely sick of our pathetic performances which if you're honest, account for about 70% of our games this season.

Not necessarily an immediate thing but we should be lining up a replacement. Jardim would be my number one, that would be an astonishingly good appointment from us if we pulled it off.

Rodgers is another who's name gets linked a lot. I'm not 100% sold but I'd have him over Puel.

6 hours ago, Buce said:

Maybe what it says is that since the title win, a section of our support have got the idea that we are a sleeping giant of a club that belongs in the top six by right.

Do you not remember the days before 2016? Be careful what you wish for.

Before 2016 we weren’t one of the richest clubs in the world, nor did we have one of the highest wage bills. I think it’s fair for people to expect more. 

No one would ever move forward if they just kept thinking ‘well we were sh*t once’

Edited by NeilLCFC
  • Like 1