Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Should Claude Puel be sacked or backed? Poll

Should Claude Puel be sacked?  

772 members have voted

1. 1. Should Claude Puel be sacked or backed?

• Sack.
    • Keep him and back him in the transfer window.

10 hours ago, Fox92 said:

That quote is bang on..... and that's an average football fan. So did the board/the owners not go in depth and look into Puel's games at Southampton? 

Honestly I do not trust them (our board) to pick the right manager. We constantly sack managers we hire, there's got to be something wrong.

Because Southampton have done so well since getting rid of Puel?

12 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Looks like Southsmpton have landed a winner this time...I know early dsays .but you get the feeling pretty quick.

You say that, but the first two months under Puel was some of the best football I've ever seen from a Leicester side. I happen to think that he is a good manager based on what he did in Germany, but we'll see where they are in a few months. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I'd sort of agree but we've scored the most goals in the league from counters (at least 2 weeks ago when I last checked the stats). What teams have stopped us doing is the long ball dropped over the top, and that stopped late 15/16. It was behind our greatest ever season but it wasn't sustainable and people don't seem to quite grasp that. What we're seeing now, while not great, is streets ahead of Jan-Feb 16/17 season under Ranieri

I'm not sure it's as simple as the long ball over the top not working any more.

A lot of the top six sides are willing to use the long pass, just as we did, and do so more often and effectively than we do of late. Many of them press high and attempt to pick up possession in the opposition half (like we used to), as much as they try to build from the back. One of my biggest gripes with Puel is the absence of the high tempo, high press, and of the unwillingness to hit people with pace on the counter (defending corners with all 11 men being a prime example).

So over the past year you can put down the absence of the 'long ball dropped over the top' to the manager's preferred style of play. For the 12-18 months before that, you could put it down to sides sitting deeper against us to avoid being hit on the counter - but you could also put it down to dreadful form, poor signings, the departure of players, age and tactical tweaks on the part of Ranieri. In other words, we tried to play the same way at times, and if we'd been as good as we were back in 2015, it may well have come off, but we weren't.

So what made our game unsustainable? That's the real question. Was it that, abruptly, everyone figured out how to deal with a high press, and counters, and high possession stats became important all over again? Or was it that we lost one of the world's best midfielders, other players got old, other players wanted out, recruitment was dreadful, the manager lost his grip and the next manager wasn't really a manager? There's not much evidence for the former. Loads of better sides than us readily hit the same direct passes on the counter that we used to, make those same runs off the shoulder of the defender, press opposition defences high, even if they tend to have better possession stats than we did. Is there any evidence that Puel's style of building possession from the back, creating space between lines by managing the ball, is a better recipe for success in the PL than the slightly more direct, physical and quick-tempo approach we used to follow? I'm sure there are a good few successful Premier League managers who'd argue with that.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Because Southampton have done so well since getting rid of Puel?

Just because they made a poor appointment doesn't mean we'd end up the same (well...).

However it is a similar dangerous line for us, if we don't have a good appointment lined up (which we wouldn't/won't), because we're not in any danger of relegation and to be fair to Puel he is the first manager in a long time to not have us in a relegation battle at this level.

Yesterday pushed me over the edge tbf. It was the worse game I've been too for ages, our performance was pathetic.

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Just because they made a poor appointment doesn't mean we'd end up the same (well...).

However it is a similar dangerous line for us, if we don't have a good appointment lined up (which we wouldn't/won't), because we're not in any danger of relegation and to be fair to Puel he is the first manager in a long time to not have us in a relegation battle at this level.

Yesterday pushed me over the edge tbf. It was the worse game I've been too for ages, our performance was pathetic.

Southampton are crap because Southampton have crap footballers. The managers they’ve appointed haven’t helped thingslol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monsell1976 said:

Feel for the guy, like the style he’s trying to bring in, but he hasn’t got the style of players to play that way.

He’s had time to get rid of the poor footballers, and bring in his own, but has done little to improve the side.

His decision making stuns me at times, stuck by him to now, but bored as ****, time for a change, and I know I keep saying it, but get rid of some of these shit players aswell, ffs some can’t even make simple passes, or scared to keep hold of a ball and just hoof it

Surely he's only got himself to blame for not having the right players yet. He's been here over a year and is claiming the squad doesn't need adding to. Either his recruitment director and Rudkin have let him down or he's having fans make excuses up for the squad looking ill suited to his style. The hard facts are we look worse than we did last season, I know Mahrez was a genius but we are revolting now. 

It's pretty much the end of the road for him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Surely he's only got himself to blame for not having the right players yet. He's been here over a year and is claiming the squad doesn't need adding to. Either his recruitment director and Rudkin have let him down or he's having fans make excuses up for the squad looking ill suited to his style. The hard facts are we look worse than we did last season, I know Mahrez was a genius but we are revolting now. 

I'd have to agree he's had enough time to get the right players. All I can assume is that he's trying to make the young players he has play the style of football he wants. I have some sympathy but it can wear thin. Still, outside the relegation zone the argument holds little weight at least until the summer.

• Like 1

I voted "back" but have a question for those who voted "sack". Puel has managed Leicester into a stable, mid-table Premier League team that wins about as many games as it loses. We see some good performances and some flat performances like Saturday against Crystal Palace. Slow improvement seems possible under Puel, but most people are calling for his head. 

Here's my question: What league position do we expect? Should the next manager land us in the top six after one or two transfer windows? If he doesn't, will we be calling for his head too?

The reason I ask is that I don't think becoming a top-six side is that easy. It takes more than a consistent lineup and some spirited performances. 

Edited by Pete from the USA

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

You're surprisingly harsh on this one. I'd hardly count last January as a viable transfer window and none of the players, bar Diabaté who completely faded away, we signed under his reign has been a dud. To the contrary. We still have a load of players to get rid of and I can't wait for the next summer's clearance. Losing Mahrez was obviously going to hit us hard, Vardy being out of form doesn't help too.

Now I'm not saying that we're playing crisp football and things must certainly improved, especially the transition between defense and attack, however I think that any manager would have problems with this squad. Imo he won't get the boot this January because of the chairman's death and Top certainly has other urgent matters at hand right now. We're not in any danger of relegation and I think that you're sensible enough think that the problems we have since winning the title are not going to be solved in one or two seasons.

41 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

I voted "back" but have a question for those who voted "sack". Puel has managed Leicester into a stable, mid-table Premier League team that wins about as many games as it loses. We see some good performances and some flat performances like Saturday against Crystal Palace. Slow improvement seems possible under Puel, but most people are calling for his head. 

Here's my question: What league position do we expect? Should the next manager land us in the top six after one or two transfer windows? If he doesn't, will we be calling for his head too?

The reason I ask is that I don't think becoming a top-six side is that easy. It takes more than a consistent lineup and some spirited performances. 

This myth needs to die. We're nowhere near of the top 6 with this squad. Not in a million years and anyone who thinks otherwise is completely deluded..

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

This myth needs to die. We're nowhere near of the top 6 with this squad. Not in a million years and anyone who thinks otherwise is completely deluded..

I totally agree and its a bit 'odd' that some think this. We are a decent average squad and tbh will continue being that unless a shit load of money is pumped into the team. (Getting the best manager in the world isnt suddenly going to make us top 6 with the players we have.)

Look at what Man City have paid over the last few years to be where they are today. And before anyone mentions 2015/16.. if you are reasonable you KNOW that was a fluke and will never happen again in your life time, not without spending mucho ££. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I know people want what they believe is right for the club and I'm certain he's not going to read what is on here or on twitter etc. But can people please not try and put pressure on top? The man's just lost his Dad in a helicopter crash only meters away from the stadium. Show a bit more class. 

And I have every sympathy with him mate but you show me any profession in the business world that cares about personal feelings before results. What exactly are you suggesting this pressure is anyway, a few people calling for him to make a decision? 

I’m very slowly coming down off the fence to join the Puel Out brigade. 

I want it it to work for him but it’s not looking like we’ve stagnated. I like to be entertained watching football what i’ve seen this season hasn’t come close.